R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Homemade Traction Compound (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/259974-homemade-traction-compound.html)

godzila 12-14-2008 07:31 AM

Homemade Traction Compound

I race a T4 on an indoor off-road track which most times the Losi Pink Taper is the tire of choice. I tried buggy grip, paragon fx, wd-40 and some other of the off the shelf stuff and get better than running no sauce at all results. I see alot of the guys that have alot of indoor off-road experience are running homemade compounds on their tires and they are much stickier and softer to the touch. If you ask what they are running you usually get the standard answer of "Buggy Grip." The stuff they use does not even smell the same and in some cases is not even the same color. Does anyone have the recipe or idea of what they are running and would be willing to share with the rest of the world.

2wdMod 12-14-2008 08:19 AM

Just go to the hobby store and buy a bottle of niftech. The stuff works great on rubber tires.The stuff works way better than buggy grip.Heck one of my buddies even uses absorbine jr. on his tapers and has real good luck with it.I was amazed the first time I saw him use it.

SpraydbySprague 12-14-2008 10:27 AM

I have a bottle Team Kamikaze Racing traction compound. The stuff can make your car climb walls. :D I have no effin' idea what is in this stuff, but if you get it on your hands you gotta wait for it to wear off. :eek::eek:

chewiefttc4 12-14-2008 11:17 AM

I run renos ragu tire sauce and I like it way better than buggy grip

A lot of people here (taper pin track) run zip free or use deisle fuel

tdeal823 12-14-2008 02:00 PM

Diesel Fuel:weird:
Thats a new one. never thought of that.

rcgrinch 12-14-2008 02:25 PM

lol@tony!!!:nod:
me either!!

CCristo 12-14-2008 02:39 PM

If your track allows you to use anything you want, then diesel fuel works best (and is way cheaper than any other sauce). Put it on your tires 30 minutes before your run and then wipe them dry right before you go out to run. When using Buggy Grip/Reino's I usually clean my tires with a water & simple green solution, dry the tires, apply the sauce with a tooth brush and then toss them in a ziplock bag to let the sauce soak in.

wyd 12-14-2008 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by CCristo (Post 5165525)
If your track allows you to use anything you want, then diesel fuel works best (and is way cheaper than any other sauce). Put it on your tires 30 minutes before your run and then wipe them dry right before you go out to run. When using Buggy Grip/Reino's I usually clean my tires with a water & simple green solution, dry the tires, apply the sauce with a tooth brush and then toss them in a ziplock bag to let the sauce soak in.

A couple of the more experianced racers at are track apply the buggy grip just like you mentioned above. Clean tire, dry, apply buggy grip with toothbrush, put in zip lock bag.

Some others use diesal fuel and Paragon is the other one many racers use at are track.

chewiefttc4 12-14-2008 03:15 PM

Putting them in a zip lock bag is a great way to destroy the foams. You shouldn't need to do that just apply a heavy coating

godzila 12-14-2008 03:44 PM

yes they allow anything

Jube 12-14-2008 04:22 PM

Are you reapplying the diesel each round I assume?

auto2 12-14-2008 04:44 PM

i was removing a set from the rims. put them in tosterover on 300 degrees for a little while. was watching tv in other room when i smelled something bad. well they sure came off the rims no problem lol. thing is now they are SUPER sticky. stored them in a bag with other tires and side walls actually glued themselves to the other tire. almost ripped them pulling them apart.

so im thinking some sort of heat soaking may be a trick set up. maybe a heat gun before the race? seems once they get that hot they change the compound for good.

CCristo 12-14-2008 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by chewiefttc4 (Post 5165646)
Putting them in a zip lock bag is a great way to destroy the foams. You shouldn't need to do that just apply a heavy coating

It's never been a problem for me

yzracer758 12-14-2008 07:52 PM

At our local indoor track(Clay based) The hot ticket is sanding down Pink tapers and making them into slicks. The sauce of choice has been between Paragon, buggy grip and even seen some guys using WD-40. I personally use Paragon and have had great success, but I really want to check into the diesel fuel.:nod:

csweatt 12-14-2008 08:59 PM

Renio's Ragu is the way to go. Here is a link on how to get it.
www.xfactoryrc.com/news_02_04_08.htm[/url]

Yeti35 12-14-2008 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by csweatt (Post 5167188)
Renio's Ragu is the way to go. Here is a link on how to get it.
www.xfactoryrc.com/news_02_04_08.htm[/url]

I use that as well and everyone that pits around me complains about how bad it smells. :) It works great though!!

d16dcoe45 12-14-2008 09:54 PM

We run at a pink taper pin/bk bar track and have been using primarily Zip Free. Motor spray, then light them up (I don't but most guys do), toothbrush in some Zip Free--throw them in a zip lock and you are good to go. A buddy put me on to heating the tires with a hairdryer or heatgun right before brushing them with the zip, it seems to open the pores in the rubber to let the zip soak in and really gets them gummy,.

I personally really like Buggy Grip and would use it but we can't run it because of the noxious odor. I don't mind the odor--although it is pretty nasty stuff to get on your skin.

chewiefttc4 12-14-2008 11:51 PM

if renos ragu or buggy grip is too stinky try renos marinade heat the tire ,apply and let it soak in a few qualifers before your race then wipe dry and reheat . then your good to go

kenshu 11-29-2013 05:15 PM

Prestone Belt dressing works great

McC Luke 11-29-2013 05:53 PM

whats the part number for the "zip free" everyone is talking about? the stuff we used on our pink taper pin slicks was "zip grip free" but it seems like they stopped making it.
Part #Rc 6683 (zip grip free)

we found that zip grip free softens the rubber AND makes it sticky.

rcjunky1 11-29-2013 10:01 PM

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!

bambambennett 11-30-2013 06:55 AM

PVC primer mixed with wd40 or silicone spray.

onekiwi 11-30-2013 07:56 AM

Lamp oil

Grasschopper 11-30-2013 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by rcjunky1 (Post 12769810)
ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.