Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rustler suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Rustler suspension

I have just bought a rustler vxl tried it out and it seems every time i take a jump it bottoms out, I was thinkin of putting some preload spacers in it, my question is, do the preload spacers just affect ride height or do they affect the dampening of the truck when it hits the ground?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Tech Rookie

the more you pre-compress the spring the stiffer it will be. So yes you are effecting the handling of the vehicle. As for effecting the dampening no. That is threw pistons in a shock and the weight of the shock oil itself. So if you compress the springs you are giving it a higher ride height and stiffer suspension. if you want the dampening effected you change the shock oil to something heavier ........been allot of years for this ole brain hope I got it right LOL
Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Thats true, but i'm trying to keep the truck from bottoming out but keep the suspension softer, and i dont know which set of spacers i should put in it, big or little or in the middle.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Your trying to keep from bottoming out while keeping the suspension soft and plush? You can keep it soft but it wont be as soft as it is now... You need to put some good oil in there. That can slow the dampening down. It will still be soft(not AS soft) but the suspension will just move slower... Spacers basically just tighten the spring up and make more springy... It will bounce around more. You can get shock oil for like $3 on tower... I can't think of what would be good. Depends on how big your jumping and the terrain you drive on. You can throw spacers o nthere for now. You could also put Slash springs on there. They are progressive so it will get stiffer as you land.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Rookie

I read somewhere that LST2 Shocks fit the Rustler and are big bore. Thats the route I am going and then tune them with Different wheight of shock fluid. its kind of trial and error to fit your driving style and so on. What works good for one.........may not for another
Old 12-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

LST2 on a rustler? Are you sure? You do realise those are built for a 12lbs monster truck... You might as well lock out your suspension because thats how stiff the springs will be. They fit on a Savage... But not a Rustler... I wouldnt think. Id be amazed...
Old 12-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

let's not overlook the obvious guys.
1st- have you checked to make sur that there is oil even in the shocks.I have heard of guys getting traxxas rtr's and the shocks being bone dry.And I myself bought an emaxx brand new a couple years back and had more than half of the shocks that were less than 50% full of oil.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, thats something i'm gonna have to look into, maybe thats whay its bottoming out all the time, and even when i set the truck down, the suspension sags so much that the a-arms are above the chassis,does anyone have any oil combinations for the shocks?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

I have never gotten a truck without oil in it... I have a LOT of traxxas trucks too... Easy test... Just hold the truck and push one of the tires up. You will be able to feel if there is oil in them. Try a 40wt front 50-55wt rear. That isusually a good combo. Thats what I run in most of my 2wd trucks. That is just a preference for me though. I still bottom out ocassionally. Make sure you land with a little bit of throttle because that will smoothen it out and keep you from bottoming out so badly.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Initiate

So, i wont have to worry about having any oil in the shocks,thats a relief, it would kinda suck if your were racing and bashing without any oil in them.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Well I would check. You can do what I said on my last post or you could take the shocks off and check them by taking the caps off
Old 12-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Tech Initiate

ok, thanks for the help.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Earlier today i had bent one of the shafts on the suspension, i was thinking of getting different shocks anyway, doesanyone have any suggestions for shocks i should buy?
Old 12-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Depends on how much you wanna spend. Big bores or Ultras. Both are really good