R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-11-2003, 09:21 PM   #1
Tech Adept
Default XXX4 W/ Novak Brushless critique

I just got the Super Sport system and had the chance to run ten or so packs through it today and I thought I would give my thoughts on it.

1. In many ways it drives like a brushed motor so there is very little time needed for acclimation. It is very smooth in it's transitions and the braking is VERY good (more on this later)

2. Amazing powerband. In offroad it is just about as close to perfect for me as could have hoped for. Torquey and strong. Super easy to drive fast.

3. More consistant. You know how when you first put a pack in your car how the first fem laps are ballistic until it levels off? This doesn't seem to do that near as much. It feels much the same at the end as it does in the beggining.

4. Brakes. In a word: amazing. I don't know why but every motor/ ESC combo I ever had had no real consistancy to it's brakes. They were strong one lap and weak the next. This is SO much better. They are strong and exactly the same lap after lap after lap.

1. Slower. The simple fact is, you can get more speed out a brushed motor. That may or may not translate into better lap times for you. I would think that for a top level driver who can handle an 8 turn he would go faster with brushed. This is not true for me or I would imagine for most club racers.
Novak's upcoming system may change that though.

2. Not legal. I don't care because I don't run ROAR events. If you do then at least for now this is not for you.

1. No maintenance.

2. Reverse your way off a wall in practice.

3. Run back to back packs all day.

4. Batteries seem cooler after a run.

5.When 8000 batteries come out you can run this thing for 20 to 30 minutes straight. Can you say electric enduro's?

I like it.
Tony Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 05:11 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I would agree with everything you just posted! I too run a Novak Brushless on all my kits including my XXX4. Today though, for the first time since I have had any of my Novak Brushless Systems, the BLUE lights on the ESC started to blink! If you own a Novak Brushless.... that is the last thing you want to see because it means you either have a locked rotor or a thermal shutdown occurred due to excessive heat. It's a safety precaution that Novak has installed and in a way it's good the ESC is smart enough to do either which because in the long run it protects your investment from any or more damage.

I will be e-mailing Charlie (head technician at Novak) for some advice on what steps to take from here. Amazingly, the same exact problem happened to both my Losi buggies (XXX4 and XXX) at today's club race! Talk about horrible luck!

I am wondering if weather and track conditions had anything to do with it? The weather was warm in the morning and the track a bit damp from rains of the previous day (but not soaking, more like a heavy bit of hosing was done). My ESC or motor did not get wet (protected by velcro chassis/body) but both ESCs do often get quite hot after running a full pack and pushing the cars hard. Maybe lack of ventelation in the car? I use Throttle Program number 1 and the gearing is what Novak recommends for each specific buggy on their website.

Just curious Tony S., but what gearing and ESC settings do you use on your Novak Super Sport??

Best of luck with your set-up & Thanks!

Last edited by STEALTH; 10-12-2003 at 05:18 AM.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 06:09 AM   #3
Tech Adept

I use profile 3 and have it geared at 20/92.

I noticed that the esc is warmer then is usual for something like my Cyclone but I am told that is completely normal so I didn't sweat it. I also heard that you can reduce the the operating temp on the esc by gearing UP. It had something to do with the heat coming from the RPM'S and not so much the load. I would be interested to hear Charlie's take on that.

Keep us posted on your problem.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:47 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

this motor/speedcontrol combo from novac sounds great but at $250 a peice there won't be one in my truck for a while.
igkyoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 05:41 PM   #5
Tech Adept

They cost $235 from Tower plus shipping. Tower runs "deals" all the time though so I ended up paying $222.98 with shipping.

If that doesn't sound affordable think it as being less then what you would pay for a D5 and an LRP Quantum.

Those are just the up front costs. Now buy a lathe and be preparred to use it after every practice/race session. Add in the cost of brushes and springs over a season and then figure on replacing that armature at least once a year.

Mostly though, it just wasn't worth my time messing with them.