R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-30-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
Exclamation << Constructing G10 Chassis >> Questions

Hi All...

To anyone who has worked with G10 composite. I am building my first chassis with 1/8" G10 and have a few questions.

I have heard there is a fair amount of epoxy in G10 and I am wondering if there are any special blades to cut it. My questions specfically are related to hacksaw blades, drill bits, and the counter sink tool. Should I be looking for some special metals or carbides so I don't end up changing blades, bits, etc often.

Thanks in advance... Have a great day !
smeyers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

I don't have the answer to your question but where did you buy the G10?
I know Speedys Racing Parts uses G10 to make most of their parts.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Carbide will last longer and will definitely be more productive if you're going to use your tool for a while. Make sure you use all the proper precautions when working with composite materials.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/04/01/autism.ireports/index.html (My daughter's video is the last one)
lutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Tech Regular

I have built a number of chassis using G-10. It can be cut easily with a Dremel and reinforced cutoff wheels. Sources are Team Cobra and Parma/PSE. I also got some G-10 from a supplier on the net selling it as rocket fin material. I use .093 for 1/10 main chassis and .063 for upper decks. .125 I would use for 1/8 applications. Don
DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Tech Initiate
Default Thanks !!

Hi All.. just got back from Home Depot... got some Cobalt drill tips, a counter sink, and a few other odds and ends. One of then being a new Black and Decker saw !!!

I purchased the Multipurpose Garolite (G-10 Epoxy Grade) from McMaster-Carr. Here Is The Link

Click on the "Find Products" link on the left, and then put 9910T22 in the Search field to get to the 1/8" thick 24" x 24" sheet of Garolite. The price is $55 and change. They shipping dept is on the ball, as I recieved my order the very next day. Being this will be an extended wheelbase model I went with the 1/8" (3.17mm) which is slightly thicker than the chassis which comes with the RCM G10 Chassis Kit. I wanted to add some strength to the car as it will be mainly for bashing, maybe some racing, By no means, am I a very proficent jumper. I am, however, an expert "tumbler"!!

I will check out the other links you all supplied... Thanks for all the tips... I am looking forward to this !!

smeyers2 is offline   Reply With Quote