Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th losi electric question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default 1/8th losi electric question

Ok guys, dont flame me for not searching, ive been searching through everything but am not sure where to find this info in the 400+ pages in the conversion thread.

so im planning on converting a losi 8ight to electric and i have a few big main questions.
number one, What conversion kit is best? Losi, Techno, Novak???? i see each mounts a little differently.
and next what is the best way to go for motor and speedo?
Im a huge fan of novak stuff, but have heard of overheating problems, and i am not going to run a castle. what else is even out there?
thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

man, no one has any info?
Old 11-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I can try to help . . .

I posted this to a similar thread last night:

I can help a little but am bit of a noob as well. There is a great thread on this forum where you can learn a lot quickly: "Electric 1/8th scale conversion kits."

The Losi 8ight has a few options for a conversion kit--one being the kit made by Losi. The Losi conversion kit is about $80 USD. Novak makes a kit and another popular one, I believe, is the RCPD kit. [Also check out Tekno RC]

The most common conversion uses a Castle Creations Mamba Max Monster (MMM) ESC with a Neu 1512 2.5D motor. The MMM will handle up to a 6S LiPo. Castle Creations has their own motor arriving soon and is based off the Neu design--it will be sold as a combo specifically for 1/8th scale conversions. The combo is the 2650Kv Mamba Monster.

Novak has a motor and ESC combo they call the HV. There are a few choices but for the buggy the 6.5HV motor appears to be the popular choice. Novak's HV ESC is setup, from the factory, to use 2 x 2S LiPos but can be wired to use a 4S. Remember to check out their conversion kit for the 8ight.

I personally like Team Orion Platinum 2S Lipos--they use Kokam cells and are similar to the TrakPower LiPo's by another manufacturer. I just ordered Maxamps 4S LiPos but have not used them yet! I hope this helps you . . .

Now, I really like the Losi conversion kit because of the clean factory fit and finish. The motor mount is a little wide so not all motor/pinion combos will work w/o modification.

I too really like Novak's products but mainly for on-road. Too many guys use the MMM and now the v3 is out people are happy. Also, I did not like the offset of the battery tray for the Novak conversion kit for the 8ight.

Lastly, you can always go for a Losi motor/ESC combo but are not as tried and true. Check out the "Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd" thread and you will get a sense for the issues currently encountered with those systems. Good luck!

Last edited by dangerwr; 11-30-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Check out www.rcproductdesigns.com for the best conversion on the market.

Why wont you run Castle? The Monster and the Neu 1512/2.5d on 4s is a bullet proof combo.

Good luck with your conversion.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Tech Master

I mean im not new by any means to the hobby, 11+ years, but i know there are alot of options out there.
thanks for the input so far guys, im just still deciding.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

two reasons i dont wanna run castle. first off is I have run their stuff in the past and was not impressed, and second Im curious what else is out there.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

the castle controllers have become pretty much the default that people go with because of how well they perform and how durable the MM was for conversions as the novak HV escs would thermal, mainly because of the motors they use really high KVs at the time when conversions first started, as I understand it.

Castle had issues with there first runs of MMM escs. I still have a MMM V1 that still works fine, and castle has stood behind the product and will replace all V1s and V2s if you desire. My V1 has worked well enough that I haven't bothered.

Since you don't want to run castle however, you may want to look into either the Losi ESC, or, modifying a Tekin R1 Pro.

As for motor, stick around the 2000Kv area. Its pretty common to run a Neu 1512 2.5D motor in buggy. works excellent. A cheap alternative that works well is the Medusa 60mm 2000Kv motor. Its not as efficient, but, for $115, works quite well for the money. I have both and like them both.

As for conversion kits, I would say it really comes down to preference. I think RCPD makes some of the best out there. I just wish they would anodize there motor mount so it gives it the full trick look like the Battery tray does. The nice thing though with RCPD conversions is they are bolt on, no drilling required from what I understand.

RC Monster makes extremely nice motor mounts. the battery tray they use is universal, so you need to drill a bit on the tray to get it to fit, minor from what I understand.

Tekno's stuff I think is really cool looking and with its seperate braking option is very nice. I just wish it used long packs, but, minor issue.

You could also use losi's conversion. Appears to work well with there battery pack.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ones I listed. My personal fav though, would be dans RCPD conversion.