Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless setup for XXX-4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Brushless setup for XXX-4?

I'm trying to figure out what esc/motor I should put into my soon-to-be purchased xxx-4. I am very budget minded, and was originally planning on getting a new B4 for around 210, so I am trying to get everything necessary for as cheap as possible.

However, I was looking around for a battery and found a great deal on this 15C 4000 mAh 2 cell lipo.
I know a lot about lipos, and have a few already, but I'm not sure if the 60 continuous amps will be enough for a 10th scale 4wd racer?

I was planning on getting a budget esc/motor, maybe a brushed system from a RTR, but then I realized I don't want a lipo without a lipo cutoff. I found the XBR Sport 10.5 system for only $130.00. Looks like a great deal for a great system. Then I noticed the Novak Havoc 8.5 system, for ten dollars more. Anyone know if the Havoc is much/any better/worse than the XBR sport? I'm not going to buy it just because it is more expensive...

Oh and about those motors. The buggy will be for my little brother, mostly, so I don't want him to have too much motor, and he Really wants good battery life. Can anyone give me an estimate on the runtime with that 4000 mAh battery and either of the Novak system? Anyone know how much faster/less controllable the Havoc 8.5 might be?

The track is fairly small, with only one section where speed can be attained by any measure. It is indoors as well, if that makes any difference.

Thank you for any help!
Old 11-28-2008, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

15C should be enough if you're not running too powerfull a motor (which seems to be the case). For motor ESC, if your local race track permits sensorless motors, have you considered the Castle creations Sidewinder? Paires with a 5700kv motor it will be plenty fast, very tough, and around the budget you are talking about. It's fully programable via PC. And if you get into racing, the motor is up to the task.

Just another option...

CODMAN
Old 11-28-2008, 05:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The Havoc is essentially an XBR with all of the latest updates. The 8.5 would be a good match to the XXX-4.

The Sidewinder 5700 is also a good option, but for the same price my personal preference would be the sensored Novak.

Also you might want to take a look at the Yeah racing packs. For a budget LiPo, the 3200 gets really good reviews and puts up some good discharge numbers.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would guesstimate your runtime to be around 12-15 minutes with a 4000 mAh pack and an 8.5 motor. You could see as high as 20 minutes depending on how it is being driven.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well I have all but decided on the XBR sport 10.5 system. The buggy is going to be driven mostly by my little brother.. and he isn't all that skilled, so I don't want him to have too much motor. Runtime and drivability is much more important than speed/power. Too bad the Havoc sport 10.5 isn't the same price as the 8.5, cuz that seems like it would have been a better deal. But if the XBR and the Havoc are really similar, I won't worry about it - unless someone can give me any details persuading me to choose the newer Havoc?

Thanks a lot guys
Old 11-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

The XBR is probably a good choice especially if it has the Li-Po cut off. The Havoc is the upgraded version and they will be releasing a few new combos with different motors.

The 10.5 should be a good starting point for a new racer, though a 4wd really isn't a good car to begin with. If he is going to be racing, you are going to have a lot of folks upset in the mod 4wd class. He can be an obstacle and cause crashes.. with mod 4wd that usually means broken parts and hot tempers.. just something to think about.

As for runtime, I get 15 mins on my XXX-4/GTB/7.5 on a 3200 LiPO and 20+ min on a 4800 LiPo. The 4wd BL motor of choice seems to be a 6.5 or 7.5 at my local track all with similair runtimes on various motor/esc combos.

Good luck!

Jerome
Old 11-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you Jerome, I have taken those things into consideration already, tho. He already has a Mini-t with a Mamba/3cell lipo. That thing is a bitch to handle.. Last week at the 10th scale track (first race in about a year) he finished well before last (racing against 10th scale trucks/buggies).

Where I race, my brother will still be allowed to race in the sportsman class even with a 4wd mod.

He wanted a 4wd more than a 2wd because 4wds are much easier to drive. I will be doing most of the maintenance on the buggy, at least for the time being, so that isn't really an issue. I will race thing on occasion as well, and I think I have a fair chance at doing well in the real 4wd mod class with a well set-up buggy.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

See now that's what it's all about. Honestly how often do you see brothers helping each other out like you've been helping yours?

Mr. Zaner you've won some cool points with me today Sir!

J
Old 11-30-2008, 01:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
The 10.5 should be a good starting point for a new racer, though a 4wd really isn't a good car to begin with. If he is going to be racing, you are going to have a lot of folks upset in the mod 4wd class. He can be an obstacle and cause crashes.. with mod 4wd that usually means broken parts and hot tempers.. just something to think about.

Jerome

Man, i'm glad our club is super laid-back. I would have been in many a fisty-cuff at your club by the way my son and I drive! Boys and toys huh.

Anyway, would that 10.5 in the xxx-4 be comparable in pace to the 19T double in my B4? Just getting ideas before I get my xxx-4 going.

BTW, I am NOT a fast racer. I'm the asshole that would be an obstacle
Old 11-30-2008, 04:48 AM
Tech Adept

i have a novak xbr 8.5 sport system in my xxx4, works great, the best gearing i found for it is 21/94, good speed, good temps, on average it was coming off the track after 10 min mains at 150-155F. running with 5000 mah lipo.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by way2fast4u
i have a novak xbr 8.5 sport system in my xxx4, works great, the best gearing i found for it is 21/94, good speed, good temps, on average it was coming off the track after 10 min mains at 150-155F. running with 5000 mah lipo.
Sweet thank you. I think I am getting the Havoc 8.5, because I realized that the most common motor for my track is a 6.5.. so I want to get as close to that as possible. What kind of a lipo are you using? I am planning on getting the Elite 5000 mAh lipo (called "Elite 5000mah 2S" asap. For now tho I will be using a cheap 4000 mAh pack.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just picked up a Reedy 5000 pack for mine. It's hardcased, which I wanted since I know it will be taking a beating, and fits quite well. The chassis did need a bit of grinding for it to sit flat, however. I figure it should be good for about 20 minutes with the MM5700 I have in there.

The Havoc does look like an appealing choice. A sensored motor with sintered rotor for a good price. Should be fine for your bro now, but I'd have to wonder about it being a little slow in mod.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

It could be a little slow, but the track is very small anyways.. the straight takes only a couple seconds to get across.. so top speed is not going to determine the winner.

I think I'm a little bit confused on something with brushless systems, tho, I know that with fewer turns - amperage increases, heat increases, rpm's increase, and runtime decrease, but how is torque affected? Or is torque mainly influenced by the battery?

Will, say, a Havoc 10.5 have more or less torque than a Havoc 8.5 under all of the same conditions?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

True, speed isn't everything. It's been said many times that slower is faster. Perhaps it would be fine on your track.

My understanding is this...

More winds, more torque, lower rpm. So, 10.5 would have more torque than 8.5, but spin slower.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok that mostly makes sense to me, I'm just lost as to why some on the "best" drivers at my track run motors as low as 5.5 or 4.5. The straight is so short that having my torque will definitely give you an advantage. If the 4.5 system has less torque.. well what am I missing?