Wiki Posts
Search

For those of you with a Slash class....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
how are you going to inforce a spec class? spec each car after every race?
It takes all of about 15 seconds to tech a slash to see if it is within the guidelines are not.

We only tech the top 3 after the main.

If you are cheating and can't finish in the top 3 then you really really really SUCK BAD......
Old 11-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by baw888
Thats a great idea! There was a rule in speedway out here in Aus that was similar. If you won the night you motor was up for sale if anyone wanted to buy it. Made for some very even motors and racing!! Maybe you could use a similar rule?
That is a lame rule, yes it will make even racing, but if the guy who wins doesn't have much money and can't buy a new motor then they will not want to race anymore.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

why do we want to keep it stock?????
Because it's cheap and affordable. The reason for the Slash's popularity.

brushless of your choice(look down for resons)
Disagree. A Motor/ESC combo costs more than the entire RTR truck does.

MIP, RPM and traxxas parts only.(any of there parts, so ball diff, CVs, etc are open)
I disagree again. My opinion is that it should be stock Traxxas parts ONLY.

NO ball diffs or CV joints.

shocks are up to you cus the stock ones suck, but you have to use the stock springs.
The shocks should remain stock except for the tops which are known to pop off. Spring changes should be allowed.

stock servo.
I'm torn on this, the stock servo is cheap and affordable, but I am not against allowing any servo you want either.

everyone uses the same compund foams.
I'd rather see no foams... Rubber tires only. Guys who want to race in the dirt as well come springtime will not have to have two sets of tires.

how are you going to inforce it? spec each car after every race?
Cars get inspected before racing starts, and possibly the winner's cars after the night is over or if someone protests. Of course I'm sure that the racers will police themselves, if someone sees anything illegal they're encouraged to let someone know about it.

there is no way a stock slash is going to clear that tabletop
There is no NEED to clear the entire tabletop.

Here's a hint: From what I see, a lot of the fastest guys land on the tabletop...

RCP has the spec class covered.
RCP doesn't HAVE a slash class to my knowledge. Besides, we are not RCP.

its only a little more to run brushless than a stock motor
False.

if we keep the stock motor, racing will not be equal, whoever has the newest motor, broke it in, and made some "shady" mods, corectly will be the fastes, IDK about you but I don't have the $$ for an new motor every other weekend, were as a brushless can be had for under $130 now and you can sell the stock motor/esc on ebay for $40 anytime, somtimes more.
I just don't buy that argument. If someone wants to go to those lengths fine, but I don't see anyone doing it. And even if they do at least they're limited to the Titan motor.

I will say this, if we decide to use a brushed motor, my slash will be for sale the next day and I will buy a T4
And that's your choice, nothing has been decided, I'm not even a decision maker. I only started this thread to get an idea of what other clubs were doing.

By the way, a properly outfitted and competitive T4 is going to cost you a LOT of $, a WHOLE LOT more than a Slash
Old 11-25-2008, 06:19 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Are track is up to 19 plus trucks a week and 25 this week with more guys coming each week.

Are rules are fairly simple. You can change the receiver so you can use any radio.

You can change anything that is given to you in the kit. Shock oils, pistons, shock spacers. You can run the Slash body or Proline Slash body. Any gearing and any 2S lipo under 5300 mah. Everyone runs the stock motor. Stock tires and rims are to be used.

It makes teching easy and keeps racing cheap.

We are looking to do a pro class. Only change is to keep everything like I posted above but any brushless system. This way will have a slower spec Slash class and a Pro Spec Slash class.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Disagree. A Motor/ESC combo costs more than the entire RTR truck does.
a havok BL combo is $130

I disagree again. My opinion is that it should be stock Traxxas parts ONLY.

NO ball diffs or CV joints.
I can see no ball diff and cv joints, but why not RPM parts?

and the steering bellcranks bind without bearings

The shocks should remain stock except for the tops which are known to pop off. Spring changes should be allowed.
then you loose the awsome body roll that makes them fun to drive.
maby slash style/ duel rate springs only? hot racing makes a spring kit for the slash...

I'm torn on this, the stock servo is cheap and affordable, but I am not against allowing any servo you want either.
I don't think that it would make any diffrance, with rubber tires your not going to get enough grip to turn anyway

I'd rather see no foams... Rubber tires only. Guys who want to race in the dirt as well come springtime will not have to have two sets of tires.
ok, thats going a bit far, $40 for a set of wheels/tires...

There is no NEED to clear the entire tabletop.
of course there is, so I can cartwheel around the next turn

RCP doesn't HAVE a slash class to my knowledge. Besides, we are not RCP.
I thought they did?
its only a little more to run brushless than a stock motor
False.
ok, its a bit more to run brushless, but with brushless we could have longer mains...

And that's your choice, nothing has been decided, I'm not even a decision maker. I only started this thread to get an idea of what other clubs were doing.
if we do stay brushed, please don't use the stock titan, us somthing like a spec 19t that is rebuildable and has BEARINGS

By the way, a properly outfitted and competitive T4 is going to cost you a LOT of $, a WHOLE LOT more than a Slash
but, but, but, damn, can't think of anything

btw, a slash with a reedy 19t quad mag seems to have the right power
Old 11-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ok, its a bit more to run brushless, but with brushless we could have longer mains...

no no no. The brushless or brushed motors don't determine how long you can run. Its the capacity of your battery. Sure some motors are more efficient than others but somebody running a brushed motor with a good lipo will outlast somebody with a brushless on a 6 cell nicd.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Whit
You are just plain missing the point. Your set of rules would kill the Slash faster than anything else.

The Slash works as a spec class cause it's cheap.

The minute you change that, people might as well run in the other classes they already run in.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by zraaron
no no no. The brushless or brushed motors don't determine how long you can run. Its the capacity of your battery. Sure some motors are more efficient than others but somebody running a brushed motor with a good lipo will outlast somebody with a brushless on a 6 cell nicd.
I still think it should be brushless...

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Whit
You are just plain missing the point. Your set of rules would kill the Slash faster than anything else.

The Slash works as a spec class cause it's cheap.

The minute you change that, people might as well run in the other classes they already run in.
it still is cheap...

besideds, a VXL slash can't be that far away.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

You can change the receiver to run what ever radio you want. Other then that you can change shock oils, spacers, gearing and the body. Battery is 6 cell nimh or 2s lipo.

Must have stock motor, esc and servo in order to keep the class cheap for everyone.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

Default South County Park, Boca Raton Florida

Box stock, Factory assembled stick pack, unmatched only. If it did not come in the box it is illegal, that goes for radio system too. Why? Because that way Dad and son, and mom too for that matter can drop 200 bucks and race competitively right out of the box, remember, economic times are hard and going to get harder, we want to keep it affordable and keep them racing each weekend. Thats how we run it and its good close racing, fun to watch and we get new blood each weekend.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by boyntoncyclone
Box stock, Factory assembled stick pack, unmatched only. If it did not come in the box it is illegal, that goes for radio system too. Why? Because that way Dad and son, and mom too for that matter can drop 200 bucks and race competitively right out of the box, remember, economic times are hard and going to get harder, we want to keep it affordable and keep them racing each weekend. Thats how we run it and its good close racing, fun to watch and we get new blood each weekend.
How are those 4 truck heats? Sorry the radio rule is over the top.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

At some tracks there is the regular Spec Slash class and then an open or mod Slash class. Whit , You must not have been around back when stock racing was popular . That was the best class back then IMO .
Old 11-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Briguy
At some tracks there is the regular Spec Slash class and then an open or mod Slash class. Whit , You must not have been around back when stock racing was popular . That was the best class back then IMO .
I cought the tail end of it what ever happend to "stock" racing? didn't a few people decide that they were going to make there car go faster anyway that they could? ruining the racing for everyone else, because its no fun being laped 4 times when last week it was an even race...
Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TwoTone
How are those 4 truck heats? Sorry the radio rule is over the top.
Hey TwoTone, how long you been around RCing? We have been swaping the AM crystals around to make the + radios since the late 70's when the FCC gave us the CB channels!!

Swap them crystals around and watch our 8 Slash heats!!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Da Wizard
Hey TwoTone, how long you been around RCing? We have been swaping the AM crystals around to make the + radios since the late 70's when the FCC gave us the CB channels!!

Swap them crystals around and watch our 8 Slash heats!!
LOL you're the one that said if it didn't come in the box... that goes for radio too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.