Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For those of you with a Slash class....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default For those of you with a Slash class....

What are your clubs' rules for a "stockish" Slash class?

We are considering making a class for them and are discussing rules at the moment. We'd like to see what others are doing as far as rules.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

the guys down in mobile AL are starting one as well. here is his latest ruling....

"Okay.. one more crack at this battery thing- sport pack (unmatched).. 2S lipo or 6-cell nimh/nicad. Price of less than $50 and a capacity of no more than 4500mah. C rating on the lipo is limited to 25C. Trucks running lipo will have to make a minimum weight, and any lead weight added to make weight must be added to each side of the battery compartment. (that means you can't run a lipo and then stuff 4oz of weight in the rear to gain rear traction)

The battery price is STORE price. If I can't walk into Hobbytown and buy the battery that you're running for under $50, you better be prepared to pull it out of the truck." -Brian Davis
Old 11-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

These are the rules that the 5 local tracks in my area are using, and the turn out is always 14+ trucks

Rules for the Ready To Race - Spec. Class

This Class is basically for the Ready-To-Race Version of the Vehicle as shipped by
Traxxas. The idea is to limit the amount of hop-ups or modifications to the factory
supplied vehicle.

Body: All trucks must use the factory Traxxas body, or comparable.

Chassis: No modifications may be made to the chassis system. Vehicle must be raced
in it’s stock form. Original Traxxas Replacement parts, as supplied on original model
5805 truck kit, only for damaged/worn parts.

Suspension: Both the front & the rear suspension systems must remain in stock form.
Original Traxxas parts only. No aftermarket/Hopup replacement components may be
installed. RPM rear hub carriers are allowd.

Legal Tuning Parts –
Original 5805 Traxxas Kit Shock white Springs may be used
Shock Cap may be replaced with Alum Shock Cap #2667
Original Traxxas Turnbuckles maybe used 3139X, 3139A, 3737, 3737A

Steering: No modifications may be made to the steering system. Original Kit parts only.

Bearings: Any manufacturer Bearing may be used.

Electronics:Original RTR Kit electronics Speed Control (XL-5) & Servo (2075) only. You
may install any Receiver you so choose.

Motor:This class is restricted to a stock Traxxas Titan 12T R/C motor.

Battery:This class is limited to any 7.2 volt "Nicad", “Nimh” made up of 6 “sub C” size
cells only or Lipo 7.4 volt battery pack made up of 2 cells only.

Wheels:Original Traxxas Slash 2.2” wheel

Tires:Original Traxxas 2.2” Slash Tire

Drive line:Only the original Traxxas Drive Train may be used. No aftermarket or Hopup
replacement drive components may be installed. Traxxas Steel Planetary Gear
Differential Only. Any of the 3 Traxxas spur gears (4683, 4686, or 8690) are permitted.
Any pinion gear that mounts without modifications needed may be used.

Ball Differential is NOT permitted in the Spec Class

Weight:Truck must weight no less then 4.75 pounds ready to Race.

Last edited by badassrevo; 11-25-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Basic rules at CRCRC :

View previous topic :: View next topic
Henry N
CRCRC President

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:26 pm Post subject: Traxxas Slash - Spec Class Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spec Class Rules
1. Batteries - Any 6-Cell Nickel based or 2 Cell (7.4v) LiPo
2. Body - Any CORR style body specifically made for the Slash
3. Chassis - No modification to the chassis. No modifications that will effect suspension/steering geometry
4. Differential - Traxxas Gear diff only
5. ESC - Traxxas XL-5 only
6. Gearing (Spur/Pinion) - Traxxas 83, 86 (Stock) and 90 tooth spurs only. Any pinion that will fit without modification.
7. Motor - Traxxas Titan 12T ONLY
8. Radio - Stock or Aftermarket
9. Receiver - Stock or Aftermarket
10. Servo - Stock or Aftermarket
11. Suspension - Traxxas black or white springs only. You may use any oil in the shock.
12. Tires - Traxxas Slash tires only
13. Weight - No lighter than 88oz - Approx weight of vehicle (76.2oz) with 3300mAh stick pack (12.4oz).
14. Wheels - Traxxas Slash wheels only

Note
Only racers in the NOVICE SKILL LEVEL may upgrade with non Traxxas parts - RPM, Traxxas Aluminum, etc.
All other racers must comply with the rules above.

Misc
1. Qualifiers - 5 min. Group start. Actual format TBD.
2. Main - 5min
3. Only the Traxxas Slash can be raced in this class
Old 11-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Our slash class is more laid back, but there are a couple "hard" rules everyone plays by: Stock traxxas tires only, stock motor, CORR body, PLASTIC shock bodies (aluminum caps are allowed to prevent blowouts), and stock speed control. Any 6 cell nixx or 2s lipo are allowed. When you can pick up the orion 2400 lipo for $30 bux at stormer that performs identically with other lipos in these cars there is no reason to meter what batteries people use. Most of the time you can't put the power down on our sllick track.

Soft "recommended" rules include using the stock servo till it busts and using the stock radio. Just about everyone uses the stock servo, but most throw in a reciever so they only have to bring one radio to the track.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

I'll first say that its a really fun class, and you guys will have a blast. imho the simplier the rules the better. Here is how we ran it.

Truck- Box stock, with the only exceptions being the body and rx. If it came in your box you can use it, no other mods except oils.

Battery-This year we ran 6 cell nimh only , but I think we are going to expand it to lipos next year. We found the lipos do have better punch but the weight reduction made for less traction. Top speed was about the same.

Thats it, really easy to police
Old 11-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I've heard a track in NorCal has a $200 claim rule.

All the normal 'stock' rules apply, but also added a straight up, 'Cash on the Barrelhead', and they can buy your truck. Interesting idea, and should keep things even.

This is a pretty common practice in some other club level racing. I'm surprised this isn't in place at more r/c tracks.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RON F
Basic rules at CRCRC :

View previous topic :: View next topic
Henry N
CRCRC President

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:26 pm Post subject: Traxxas Slash - Spec Class Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spec Class Rules
1. Batteries - Any 6-Cell Nickel based or 2 Cell (7.4v) LiPo
2. Body - Any CORR style body specifically made for the Slash
3. Chassis - No modification to the chassis. No modifications that will effect suspension/steering geometry
4. Differential - Traxxas Gear diff only
5. ESC - Traxxas XL-5 only
6. Gearing (Spur/Pinion) - Traxxas 83, 86 (Stock) and 90 tooth spurs only. Any pinion that will fit without modification.
7. Motor - Traxxas Titan 12T ONLY
8. Radio - Stock or Aftermarket
9. Receiver - Stock or Aftermarket
10. Servo - Stock or Aftermarket
11. Suspension - Traxxas black or white springs only. You may use any oil in the shock.
12. Tires - Traxxas Slash tires only
13. Weight - No lighter than 88oz - Approx weight of vehicle (76.2oz) with 3300mAh stick pack (12.4oz).
14. Wheels - Traxxas Slash wheels only

Note
Only racers in the NOVICE SKILL LEVEL may upgrade with non Traxxas parts - RPM, Traxxas Aluminum, etc.
All other racers must comply with the rules above.

Misc
1. Qualifiers - 5 min. Group start. Actual format TBD.
2. Main - 5min
3. Only the Traxxas Slash can be raced in this class
our a main format has changed as we run a 22 lap main w/ a grid style start to give the starting advantage to those who qualified better. not much of an advantage though due to always some carnage in the first turn or too
Old 11-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Where I race,

Stock class = stock motor and stock tires

Mod class = any motor and any tires

Right now stock class is faster then the Mod class!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Krio
Our slash class is more laid back, but there are a couple "hard" rules everyone plays by: Stock traxxas tires only, stock motor, CORR body, PLASTIC shock bodies (aluminum caps are allowed to prevent blowouts), and stock speed control. Any 6 cell nixx or 2s lipo are allowed. When you can pick up the orion 2400 lipo for $30 bux at stormer that performs identically with other lipos in these cars there is no reason to meter what batteries people use. Most of the time you can't put the power down on our sllick track.

Soft "recommended" rules include using the stock servo till it busts and using the stock radio. Just about everyone uses the stock servo, but most throw in a reciever so they only have to bring one radio to the track.
One way to limit batteries also is to stay at a 4 or 5 minute time limit as well. That gives less of an advantage to people that want to throw a bunch of money at a great battery. Also, if that's all some racers have and don't want to have to buy extra batteries because the ones they have aren't legal that would work as well I think.

A decent servo rule I think would be either use the box stock servo part no. Or if a non stock part no. replacement were to used, to use a non-digital replacement servo to keep the costs down. I mean to mandate a single servo part no. wouldn't be as flexible for the hobby shop. I mean who knows, that part no. could get put on back-order? I think that would allow it to be flexible and cost effective at the same time.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

All of the local tracks here follow the rules as reposted by badassrevo above. They work really well.

As for the servo issue, I would suggest against allowing aftermarket servos if you intend to keep it a spec class. A better servo would improve the Slash tremendously in my opinion, and make it a "must have" item to be competitive.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fiveoboy01
What are your clubs' rules for a "stockish" Slash class?

We are considering making a class for them and are discussing rules at the moment. We'd like to see what others are doing as far as rules.

Thanks!
why do we want to keep it stock?????

for slash rules I'm thinking
brushless of your choice(look down for resons)
MIP, RPM and traxxas parts only.(any of there parts, so ball diff, CVs, etc are open)
shocks are up to you cus the stock ones suck, but you have to use the stock springs.
stock servo.
everyone uses the same compund foams.

a cupple genral resons for a non spec class
how are you going to inforce it? spec each car after every race?
there is no way a stock slash is going to clear that tabletop
RCP has the spec class covered.
its only a little more to run brushless than a stock motor

the reson for the brushless.
if we keep the stock motor, racing will not be equal, whoever has the newest motor, broke it in, and made some "shady" mods, corectly will be the fastes, IDK about you but I don't have the $$ for an new motor every other weekend, were as a brushless can be had for under $130 now and you can sell the stock motor/esc on ebay for $40 anytime, somtimes more.

I've heard a track in NorCal has a $200 claim rule.

All the normal 'stock' rules apply, but also added a straight up, 'Cash on the Barrelhead', and they can buy your truck. Interesting idea, and should keep things even.
I like that idea...

I will say this, if we decide to use a brushed motor, my slash will be for sale the next day and I will buy a T4
Old 11-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
its only a little more to run brushless than a stock motor
The Titan 12t motors are $22 at most places... if you can find a brushless motor for "a little more" than that let me know, not to mention you'll need a new ESC. And if you're having to replace them every other week, you're doing something wrong. We have a great turnout for Slash spec week after week and the fastest guys out there have been racing at least once a week for several months and are on their second motor. You just need to gear it properly, clean it after running, and don't run for 10 or more minutes at a time.

The beauty of the Slash spec class to me is the low cost and easy accessibility. For under $200 you can have everything you need to race minus a battery and charger. If you're going to start changing the motors, suspension, diffs, etc.. why not just run the existing stadium truck class?
Old 11-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

how are you going to inforce a spec class? spec each car after every race?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Cash for your car!!

Thats a great idea! There was a rule in speedway out here in Aus that was similar. If you won the night you motor was up for sale if anyone wanted to buy it. Made for some very even motors and racing!! Maybe you could use a similar rule?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.