Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Durga Vs Zx5 any clear winner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Can durga parts fit a 501x chassis for conversion?

just one more question i have. will the durga componets fit a 501x main chassis? is there a way to convert a durga to 501 by removing the belt cover and using a 501x chassis? please tell me there is a wayLOL

thanks again as always
anthony
Old 12-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jonnyutah
just one more question i have. will the durga componets fit a 501x main chassis? is there a way to convert a durga to 501 by removing the belt cover and using a 501x chassis? please tell me there is a wayLOL

thanks again as always
anthony
It's not realistic to convert a Durga to 501X chassis. You need to buy every chassis part, all the alloy bulkheads, new towers, new suspension mounts, new shell.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think both cars are great. Unless you are looking for some mechanical design in particular, go with whichever car is supported the most. Even if the hobby shop carries parts for both cars, consider which ones gets stocked more often so you can get parts at the on-site hobby shops at your local track.

I love my B44 because the parts are sold at 90% of the hobby shops out there, but I also have a tricked out DF-03MS (which the parts are not supported by my local hobby shops) since the mechanical layout is so unique, I am willing to stock up on parts myself to keep that going.

All things being equal, I lean more towards the Kyosho because I'm biased towards shaft-driven 4wd then belts. I'm just belt-phobic since I've never owned one and worked on any belt driven RCs
Old 12-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

called my local hobbytownusa and the do stock basic zx5 and db01/501x parts like wheels etc. and he said he can order any part i need.

you like shafts eh? jk. I have no opinion. since i'm new to 4wd. shaft dose look like less maintainence and problematic but at the same time now that losi is out of the racing scene durga is the only sealed belt. makes that buggy kind of unique.

i just think that with belt you could have a belt pop or rolling off track in the middle of a final it also seems from logic that belt drive would give give a slight loss in transfer compared to a shaft being direct without any slack.

what is the pro of using a belt? sorry to pose such a noob question.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Between the two 4wd's you have in mind go with the Lazer Sp. Good car all around and jumps and lands very well. Pretty durable

The Durga is ok for what it is but it doesnt jump or land even close to the sp or any other 4wd out there. Ever heard of the Durga slap? if you get one you will know it real fast. The Durga is alittle more durable then the Lazer.

It just depends on what you are going to do with it. If I was bashing I would pic the Durga, If I was racing I would go Lazer hands down.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

I gave it some thought. and the DB-01 durga/baldre is the more uniuqe buggy imo. okay yea you can use like amost the entire 501x hopups catalog at your disposle and you set it up straight from the 501x yeam setup sheet becasue the damper systems is exactly the same. that's cool.

but waht sold me was it's drivign characteristics. i've been comparing the handleing of the zx5 and db01 and the zx5 seems jittery and jumpy. but when watchign several db01 videos it's quite a contrast. the db01 is just the oposite.
it looks pretty planted on outdoor tracks. it drives very flat from the vids i watched. likes to stay on all four wheels. it even gets the term "db01 slap" becasue it lands most jumps like a pancake. big jumps it tends to get a little nose heavy.

The other thing i'ved noticed is the it's ability to power slide like a full time j.o.b. due to it's flat riding it can easily slide into turns even at fairly slow speeds while the other buggies had to manual steer into turns at the same speed.

anyways there is a canadian based hobby estore listing new baldre db01 kits for $135 usd. i wonder what the shipping would be from ontaio to georgia.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I gave it some thought. and the DB-01 durga/baldre is the more uniuqe buggy imo. okay yea you can use like amost the entire 501x hopups catalog at your disposle and you set it up straight from the 501x yeam setup sheet becasue the damper systems is exactly the same. that's cool.

but waht sold me was it's drivign characteristics. i've been comparing the handleing of the zx5 and db01 and the zx5 seems jittery and jumpy. but when watchign several db01 videos it's quite a contrast. the db01 is just the oposite.
it looks pretty planted on outdoor tracks. it drives very flat from the vids i watched. likes to stay on all four wheels. it even gets the term "db01 slap" becasue it lands most jumps like a pancake. big jumps it tends to get a little nose heavy.

The other thing i'ved noticed is the it's ability to power slide like a full time j.o.b. due to it's flat riding it can easily slide into turns even at fairly slow speeds while the other buggies had to manual steer into turns at the same speed.

anyways there is a canadian based hobby estore listing new baldre db01 kits for $135 usd. i wonder what the shipping would be from ontaio to georgia.

buy a SP that tamiya is not on the same level for racing. I have driven a 501x wce a few times my buddy has one and it is a twitchy bitch.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

sp is ok but i'm just more interested in db01. sp is more race ready out of the box than db01 but with a few optional parts of either db01 or trf501x brand and it's just as race ready.

501x is twitchy? that dosen't mean db01 is. people often say why put$150-200 into that buggy when you can buy a 501x for that. well, the db01 isn't just a sport version of 501x. it's very much it's own design. 501x is real saddle. db01 is center stick pack. 501 is a deck chassis while db01 is a tub. 501 is open while db01 is sealed. if you thinik about it. they are quite different in design even though they share many of the same parts.

i wana thank you all for helping me make an informed decision.
tami rocks for offering such a international level car for the price of a 2wd.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

sp is ok but i'm just more interested in db01. sp is more race ready out of the box than db01 but with a few optional parts of either db01 or trf501x brand and it's just as race ready.
tami rocks for offering such a international level car for the price of a 2wd.
You are joking right? heck nearly everyone who has had a db01 at my track has switched to a zx-5 or b44. The tammys are slow, heavy and without substantial modification uncompetitive. Dont get me wrong they look good but I am so happy I didnt buy one.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

haha, no i'm not joking by the looks of your avatar your biased towards zx5 to begin with. sure you have to spend a little to make the db01 race ready. mainly becasue of the lack of good dampers, cvd and slipper out of the box.

it's extra weight can be used to it's advantage by it's ability to perform butter smooth power slides and full throttle through bumpy sections. you can always trim the weight with carbon parts if needed. the carbon chassis tub/a-arms/towers should lighten things up a bit.

not trying to convice anyone that this is the best buggy out there. just that it has a few qualities (sealed belt drive, stick packs, price) that are a plus for me.

check out this amian vid from a japan finals race. the cam follows the leading car which happens to be a db01. wach how well it slides into the turns at slow speed. second went to a hb D4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXnct7IY4VU
Old 12-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have watched more than a few B44's & Zx5's get their asses handed to them by a Durga. I don't think you will be disappointed w/ your choice.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i own both a standard lazer and a durga
and im proud to say that i love my durga more
love the handling (it just suits me rather than the zx5)
and its a little more durable than the zx5
prob with the zx5 i have is that the shock towers breaks easily
well thats just me, no offence you all zx5 owners
Old 12-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

if you have a chance, pls go read up R/C CAR magazine's July '08 issue whereby they done a shootout of a few 4wd buggies...very interesting info there. R/C Car magazine's reviews/shootouts are regarded by many as the most accurate among the 3 r/c car magazines in the USA...
Old 12-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nah not really biased, heck I run a b4 in 2wd I just think if you are racing the zx-5 is a far superior car off the shelf. If you are bashing get the durga The only db01 I have ever seen that has beaten zx-5/b44 was hopped up something fierce so if you wanna spend ridiculous amounts of $$ to make a car competitive then go right ahead
Old 12-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

I think between eiother choice of the Durga or Lazer SP you will not be disapointed. I do own the durga and i can tell you first hand that it is very race capable against some of the best. As you all know, the driver plays a big role into how good the car performs. I have never driven the SP, but i have always heard good things about it. Some good info on both cars can be found at oople.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.