Wiki Posts
Search

what has losi become....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default what has losi become....

what has losi become? are they still in the "rc" business or have they shifted to the "toy rc"? it seems to me that with the eight and the eightT lines being the exceptions that they have become a "toy rc" company. i guess you could say that with the departure of losi jr. over to kyosho that their focus has changed. maybe they saw the sales figures of tyco and thought that would be a good market to get into. whatever their thinking is i believe it has hurt their reputation in the rc industry. my belief is that in a month or two i could walk into a toys r us store and see losi products on the shelf. just some thoughts... feel free to add
Old 11-20-2008, 12:52 AM
SLK
Tech Initiate

i guess i am kinda with you on that. I just got back into r/c after a 5 year break, and all i used to swear by was Losi for racing. now i come back to a bigger line of mini rc's than their 1/8 or 1/10th scales? I am not 100% sure about their focus. They still have a solid race team though.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree with both of you. I think that they are dropping the ball on a lot of products. If your going to make "new" cars and trucks, make new cars and trucks not a renamed XXX-T(Speed-t, Desert Truck) Drift R(XXX-S) and so on I know the "raminator" was based off of something else, the LST I think. Although I do have a Micro-T, I absolutely love it and think it a great way for people to try the hobby on a serious budget. It's also a solution to living room racing!

Jay
Old 11-20-2008, 02:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you must remember that they do need to make money so they can put money towards developing their race kits...as i remember i think they qualified like was it 2nd or something like that at the worlds for 2 wheel.....they still put cars in the main for pretty much all major events wise in the off road scene.

I DONT drive losi i prefer kyosho much much more but i do understand why the make ready to runs and such...its to make some $$$$

and any company in the rc industry that puts they products on a toy r us..would make $$$ most likely.. really isnt that what most are trying to do...just trying to make a living...
Old 11-20-2008, 05:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

C'mon guys... We deal with a thread like this once in awhile and I truly think it's unfair each time it comes up. Like the above post says, money has to come from somewhere. Everyone realizes Traxxas has seen huge success with lines of RTR and backyard basher vehicles. I see no problem with Losi jumping into that market. It goes more along with the purpose that Horizon Hobby seems to serve - to provide products for everyone - not just the racers. We always have to remember - the racers are the minority.

There is no doubt that the current 1/8 scale program is a huge success. It's arguably the best design out there. The electric program is still as good as it ever was. The current platforms are designed from the same base models that dominated offroad racing for many years and they are still highly competitive today. Most of us on this thread probably aren't looking to buy a Speed T or a Raminator. It doesn't mean it's not a great product for its intended market. If you could truly say that the current crop of race cars are not up to par, then this would be a valid thread - but you can't do that since the current crop is all based off of very successful platforms.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well said Chris, with one exception. The XXX4 needs to be redesigned. Losi needs a new 4wd.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

isn't there already a bazillion threads on this?????
Old 11-20-2008, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

Default ?

T4-XXXTCR--B4-XXXCR--minit-rc18---losi8-assoc-rc8--B44-XXX4 all are competetive in their given class,plus LOSI is getting alot of people started in rc with their ready to run line,1/2 to 1/3 of the classes at some of our local tracks are Losi spec classes.Other than my losi slider and mini's I run a RB5
Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

They are owned by Horizon Hobbies.....they just put out what they think the demand is.

RTR truck that goes 65mph out of the box....sure.....that will sell

RTR that looks like a desert racer....that will sell as well
Old 11-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think it is pretty obvious what they are doing. They are competing against companies like traxxas and duratrax with their rtr losi line. They have a "seperate" Team Losi division that competes against xray, AE, etc. They are simply providing themselves with a larger market share to make more $$$$$.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

it is what it is I supose.When they take the final step and quit making kits altogether they will have become traxxas Jr. For right now though all of their race level kits do well.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

XXX-T CR, XXX-CR, XXX-4 G+ (well some people can still drive these good), JRX-S, XXX-NT Adam Drake 2, 8ight 2.0, 8ight T (2.0 coming), and the L8ight. I mean what else can Losi design? They are already trying to make oval popular again.

They sell RTR's to make $$$, with that money they spend it on R&D for which was the 8ight 2.0 and soon to coming T 2.0.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Tech Champion

Remember the "Porsche Technique"? Win on Sunday, sell on Monday... I highly doubt they would abandon the race kits; it's what made the name, and continues to sell cars.

Riddle me this... How many D8s got sold after the Worlds?...
Old 11-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This subject does come up from time to time, but I think it's interesting to discuss this subject.

Whatever Losi becomes, whether they become a toy company or continue to make racing machines, it's their decision. There are 999999 other companies out there that make racing machines, if Losi finds financial success with making RTRs, I'm happy for them...

If Losi stops making racing machines and you, as the buyer, buys only racing machines, just buy other brands. There are so many nowadays. To name a few:

AE, Kyosho, Tamiya, Hot Bodies, Academy, ...
Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Remember the "Porsche Technique"? Win on Sunday, sell on Monday... I highly doubt they would abandon the race kits; it's what made the name, and continues to sell cars.

Riddle me this... How many D8s got sold after the Worlds?...
There is also the "Ferrari Technique" sell street versions of your cars to finance your racing, as racing is your main focus.

It all depends on what your focus is, racing or bashing. 10years ago Losi's focus was racing, now it is bashing. Nothing wrong with that and sometimes you get lucky and get something that is fun at both...Slash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.