what has losi become....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what has losi become....

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 03:03 AM
Tech Regular

I was just talking to one of the LHS owner and he said in the past 20 years he would say 95% of his customers are bashers and collectors and 5% are racers there are not too many of us out there depending on your location. With this economic crisis it's really important for the company to do what they have to do to survive. Look at traxxas slash yes it is intended to be a toy but since the popularity of CORR racing a even JOE THE PLUMBER want's to race it as well LOL. I give losi a props for tapping in to that 95% of consumers. That's my 2 cents.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I think we have to look at the bigger picture here and remember it's not Losi, it's Horizon Hobbies that owns Losi, and gets to decide what products are brought to the market.

Horizon also owning Sportwerks, I wish this brand handled the mini & micro's, but people obviously wanted (or Horizon decided) mini versions of the larger Losi vehicles.

But don't forget the Mini-T....it was a bushing, friction shock truck, but it started a new 1/18th scale class that people are racing all over the place as well.

I'd like to see a 1/18th Scale JrX2 with the 5-link suspension....I'd buy one to keep around the house to play with
Old 11-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yea, ALL Losi races is 1/8 buggy and truggy. LINK

I still see people with gas trucks on their, onroad, rock crawlers, and Dakota Phend with his xxx-4, xxxtcr, and xxxcr.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by y2kgtp

I'd like to see a 1/18th Scale JrX2 with the 5-link suspension....I'd buy one to keep around the house to play with
Now that would be some fun right there!I would rather have a 1/18 cr version though.The 5 links were so prone to popping links in a crash.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
Dude you have no clue..the Cayman is a great car..I think your talking about the SUV..The Cayman has made just about everyones top 10 as a GREAT CAR..
Oops...my bad, I gave up on them when they started putting water in the engines....that should explain something right there.

As far as what Losi has become and if the new business model is correct, only time will tell.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Look at what losi has done with dirt oval, a group of new racers for them. Look at all the stuff they have come out with for that, the slider series, they are just not a mini t with a roll cage. They big slider kick ass, I had one and it ran with all the top sprint cars right out of the box. I think they are just giving to what the hobbyest want, in my area, 10th gas truck is pretty well dead so why would they invest time and research into something thats not in demand at the time. I think different r/c racing is like fads they come and go, for one time offroad would be king, or dirt oval, or touring car, or one day they might make a carpet oval car. Its just putting the money and time to where the people want it.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

The oval stuff that they have done is very cutting edge, they are also very big on putting 2.4 in their stuff, that is very leading the market kind of thing.

How anyone can say that Losi has sold out must have a very narrow view of things....even more narrow then myself.

Losi has just added a new realm to their products, RTR stuff, hats, even brushless motors now have their name on them. Personally I think in the end the company will be stronger. That said it is going to be hard to keep focus on two different market segments, unless the "race" part of losi is run apart from the "RTR" division of losi it is going to be hard to keep both going full steam. I think for both to have success, they need to be as far apart as possible. If only one "bean counter" is watching over everything you know what division will loose out.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Geeze , you guys want some cheese ? It`s obvious all the whiners have never owned or ran a business or even know how running a business works . Just about everyone has RTRs these days and nothing wrong with that . Why is it everyone bashes one company and not the rest that do the same ? As for not designing new cars/truck , why ? The current line up [except XXX-4 IMO] works great and very competitive . So why change something that dominates the rest of the top line RCs ? RTRs or kits .
Old 11-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Losi does same thing as Tamiya. Earning money on rtr and also making race line cars. I think it's understandable. I also wants to see new 1:10 4wd buggy and until that I'll stick with my XX4 (raced it also back in 90ties - it's still amazing car).

Other brands also sells RTRs. Xray sells 1:18 RTR kits, Asso sells some rtr 1:10 buggies, Kyosho sells 1:8 and 1:10 RTR buggies (that's what I remember), HotBodies is linked to HPI (it was pure race brand and it's mostly RTR brand now) and other companies sells RTRs or budget kits as well. We want race cars and companies have to make toys to satisfy us.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

RTR's are great for LHS. People can come in, buy it, go home and charge a battery and run it.

Traxxas Slash.....look how this RTR has taken off, especially as numerous tracks are running it as a SPEC class out of the box. I'm sure this truck alone has brought a ton of people back into the hobby
Old 11-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

RTR = Recruiting Tomorrows Racers
Old 11-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If Losi was to Re-Re-Realease the XX-4 W.E they would have the ultimate racing kits that no-one can match
Old 11-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy
If Losi was to Re-Re-Realease the XX-4 W.E they would have the ultimate racing kits that no-one can match
I'd get one
Old 11-22-2008, 02:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

My brother started this thread so I guess I'll chime in too. Losi is really 2 companies. They make awesome 1/8 scale kits and race rollers. Any company is in it to make money and be successful in the hobby market. They have a top notch race team, these "toy" cars are a means to an end, they have to make money to support a race team. Associated did the same thing to a lesser degree. Thunder tiger is selling rebadged old gt's and b3's and t3's, it's all business. Most people that get their foot in the door in rc and may or may not get hooked on racing buy a basher kit first. cost effective is the key phrase here and Losi followed the traxxas rulebook somewhat, Why? it makes money. In this current marketplace it makes perfect sence. We don't like it but we live with it. Personally I'll stick with AE kits for 1/10th but I'll choose a different make for 1/8th scale. The rc world is completly different than 10 years ago when my brother and I took a "break" you always come back though
Old 11-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i'll toss my dime in here

( mainly, because i never shut up at .02 )

RTR 's are keeping this hobby affordable. Traxxas sells a boat-load of rc's, no one can deny that. The T-Maxx, Slash, Revo, and Stampede/Rustler/bandit lines have made them money hand over fist.

Why?

We are a world of instant gratification. coffee, drive -thru's, instant messaging, microwave, and Google. We want it, and we want it NOW!

The end result of all those "hated kits"? they sell in volume, which means they can afford to make LESS per car or truck than say, Corrally. The money they make goes into R&D for new cars/trucks, or race programs.

If losi went back to only building hi end race kits, what do you think a XXX-T would cost you? AS stated earlier, the percentage of racers versus bashers is staggering. 5-8% are dedicated racers. If Losi had to pay it's employees and personnel, marketing, advertising, packaging, shipping, distributing, dealers, ect. on what their race kits brought in- a XXX-T would be $750. At least.

Those who are pissed off about companies not building as many kits? have your new car or truck shipped to me. I will gladly take them apart, baggy up the parts, and keep the electronics. Hell, I will pay shipping too.

Remember, when you text message your buddy drinking your Starbucks Latte' you picked up in the drive thru after hitting Burger King, on your way to a quick lube to get your oil changed, that YOU created RTR's as much as the companies who sell them.

( Also, those 'toy' rc's you see all built- are no different than yours once you build it- both are now RTR, just one has more higher end components)

ESPECIALLY BL E-Revo owners! i will gladly strip that of it's Mamba Monster Max set-up, it's 2.4 Ghz radio, and servo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.