Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Input please - Losi Speed T or Rustler VXL

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I agree , if you have a $300 radio why mess with RTRs ? Anyway , if you think you might get into racing go with Speed T , for bashing only go with Rustler or Losi High Roller . There are a couple kids that have the H.R. and they take a beating .
Old 11-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Go with the e-firestorm. Losi & Traxxas can't come close to touching the transmissions durabillity & the parts are super beefy. It is also a great chasis to race w/ too.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

My choice is the Rustler. It is very durable, very fast, and there are a ton of aftermarket parts available for it. The Losi seems to be very fragile and the locked diff makes it handle poorly on pavement and seems to blow pretty easy. Traxxas customer service is top notch as well.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Again, it all depends on what you are intending on doing with the truck.

Going to play in the street, going to race it?

As you have a radio already, you can pull the Radio and Rx out of a Speed-T and get 70-100$ on eBay.....I should know

That makes it a 180$ Brushless RTR vehicle.....
Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile

Thanks for all the input, I have the radio because I race indoors with a TC5 and RC18. I just want something to buzz around outside (quietly) and be able to throw some foams on it when the other guys have similar trucks on the carpet.

What are you guys recommending for kits (non RTR) where I would be spending around the same $$$?

Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Tech Rookie

I like both of these vehicals.... If i were running circle track i would get the losi. And the vxl hooks on the dirt way better than the losi out of corners in my opinion. Ive also heard about losi rearends do not have metal gears in them. Is this true?
Old 11-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

They don`t need metal gears .
Old 11-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by adawg1
I like both of these vehicals.... If i were running circle track i would get the losi. And the vxl hooks on the dirt way better than the losi out of corners in my opinion. Ive also heard about losi rearends do not have metal gears in them. Is this true?
Ever take yours apart?
Old 11-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
Ever take yours apart?
LoL yes plenty of times. Never been in one of the new cars and didn't know if they had metal center diffs like the rustler or not. But not thinkn they are about the same aint they lol
Old 11-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Briguy
They don`t need metal gears .
Anything with brushless power needs metal gears. Plastic just wont hold up to brushless for very long

I've heard many horror stories about the Speed T's diff blowing over and over again.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
Anything with brushless power needs metal gears. Plastic just wont hold up to brushless for very long

I've heard many horror stories about the Speed T's diff blowing over and over again.
I have heard the same. However, it is not a diff in the truck but a plastic Spool of of the box. You need to add diff balls and lube to make it a true XXX-T style Diff. The diff gear itself is the same as the XXX-T

I'm sure trying to turn the truck under power has to put some strain on the diff as it is locked up and prone to damage.....especially to new drivers running 11.1V batteries and curbing it
Old 11-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Just been thinking of a few details I thought of that may be of interest on the Speed-T:

The Speed-T shock have about 1/2" less travel than a standard XXX-T shock....truck sits a little lower to the ground. Out of the box it has 60W rear and 35w front shock oil.....

The stock brushless system is a 4800Kv unit, which Horizon Hobbies calls it pretty much similar to a 9.5T motor

Xcelorin ESC comes with a programing card to make a few basic changes, and you can get an optional cable adapter so you can use the Losi software to tweak the ESC and motor similar to Mamba does....

Your DX3R radio IS backwards compatible with the stock Rx, so you can use the same transmitter as your other vehicles.....
Old 11-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Tech Champion

LOL , guess you don`t race . Losi /AE buggy and trucks don`t use metal gears and not needed even with brushless .
Old 11-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A Losi diff cant handle brushless.....? Well look at THIS and I think you will change your mind.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

LOL , guess you don`t race . Losi /AE buggy and trucks don`t use metal gears and not needed even with brushless .
I used to be an avid racer but mostly only bash these days, although I have been doing a tiny bit of racing at the parking lot races my LHS just started hosting.

A Losi diff cant handle brushless.....? Well look at THIS and I think you will change your mind.
Maybe my fingers on the keyboard went beyond my actual knowledge. I made the statement based on how I have seen brushless systems eat up plastic gears in many other trucks and buggies and many threds and posts I have read of Speed T's blowing diffs. I have a friend who blew 3 diffs trying to get through one 3s 8000 mah pack. The video is pretty cool but not really enough to prove that the trans or diff is bullet proof.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.