R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   LRP vs. Novak vs. Tekin Brushless Speedos?!?!?!?! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/253777-lrp-vs-novak-vs-tekin-brushless-speedos.html)

rmargiotta 11-14-2008 03:10 PM

LRP vs. Novak vs. Tekin Brushless Speedos?!?!?!?!

Going back indoors for the winter, I'll be racing 1/10th 4WD offroad with a stupid amount of motor, and I only want to buy ONE of them.

Novak - They seem to be holding up well, but they are HUGE!

LRP - I ran the TC Comp in my carpet car (only ran 13.5) and it melted down from normal use after a month, but I have heard the latest LRP Competition holds up well

Tekin - I don't have any experience with these...

If you guys want to chime in with your experiences or any other suggestions, I would GREATLY appreciate it!!!

JamesnMeyer 11-14-2008 03:43 PM

I have had all three and like the set up and size of the Tekin RS. I feel it is as smooth as the TC spec minus the fan. The Novak was good as well but it is HUGE! I may be in the minority but I really like the Tekin and plan on replacing all my other speedos here real soon. Well, I am going to keep the speed passion but the LRP's are out the door.

RCBLUE 11-14-2008 04:45 PM

Get the Tekin RSPro. It is the smallest and most adjustable when used with their Hotwire pc interface. I've used the R1Pro and RSPro (R1 is sensor-less and RS is sensored and sensor-less capable) and have never thermaled. It is just a sweet ESC.

yzracer758 11-14-2008 04:47 PM

+1 on the Tekin, small size, endless adjustability with the hotwire andgreat technical support make it hard to beat!

JamesnMeyer 11-14-2008 05:52 PM

Guess I am not in the Minority:) And yes the hotwire is very nice!

b4wires 11-14-2008 07:41 PM

Thank you rmargiotta for putting this thread up. I'm looking into bruushless esc myself. With searching the internet. I like what I see and hearing about Tekin. After X-mas, I'm selling my novaks for Tekins. I don't know if I want R1 or RS pros.

rmargiotta 11-14-2008 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by b4wires (Post 5053063)
Thank you rmargiotta for putting this thread up. I'm looking into bruushless esc myself. With searching the internet. I like what I see and hearing about Tekin. After X-mas, I'm selling my novaks for Tekins. I don't know if I want R1 or RS pros.

I searched for a few minutes on something to help make my decision but I couldn't find 'one' thread, I thought it was a good idea.

Looks like I'm going to call Tekin up.

I'm not too interested in the PC interface, but I do like the smaller size and when I started in the hobby 13 years ago, you couldn't buy a more solid unit, but the customer service was lacking which had only with the size of the company.

What are the pros and cons to sensored and sensorless?
Sensored is just a little more smooth right? Or does efficiency come into play as well?

Thanks for the feedback fellas!!!!

Chris__RC 11-14-2008 08:09 PM

I posted a question a couple days ago. The title was : What sensored esc to buy?

I wanted ease of programming and they reccomended the Speed Passion or Tekin esc.

JamesnMeyer 11-14-2008 08:30 PM

I like the speed passion a lot as well as it is very easy to program. It is large though and has a huge cap. The Tekin is very easy to program with out the hotwire or a box and is very small in size and has the same performance as the others.

Originally Posted by Chris__RC (Post 5053160)
I posted a question a couple days ago. The title was : What sensored esc to buy?

I wanted ease of programming and they reccomended the Speed Passion or Tekin esc.

RCBLUE 11-14-2008 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by rmargiotta (Post 5053124)
What are the pros and cons to sensored and sensorless?
Sensored is just a little more smooth right? Or does efficiency come into play as well?

Thanks for the feedback fellas!!!!

From What I've experienced, the con with sensorless is that if your motor rotates backwards, ie your cars rolls in reverse, the esc MAY have up to a one to two second delay to "relocate" the rotor position. The pro is that it is ultra smooth. Also the sensorless system is better suited for lower turn mods up to 10.5. As for the RSPro, well I can't really think of too many cons.

Jason Pelletier 11-14-2008 10:35 PM

Lrp sphere comp all the way all day. smooth and simple.

Speed passion has bad brakes.:nod:

Gtb feels like garbage.:nod:

eh tekin i am alittle weary about, i think it's the most expensive and really haven't tried one.

ballisticsart 11-15-2008 03:11 AM

no failures to worry about with the rs and rspro unless you plug it in backwards. Tekin tested that thing endlessly for months and really did there homework. a little more expensive yes , but fully upgradeable software, IE remember when ther was a gtb then a gtb with lipo cutoff (that sucked). With tekin if there is a update in software your not stuck with an outdated speedo you can just update it.

tdeal823 11-15-2008 04:57 AM

Tekin has wonderful tech support.

I go back and forth between LRP and Tekin

Dasupacat1 11-15-2008 05:00 AM

Tekin....I think would be the best
LRP......is what I use and love them
Novak...purple/orange color scheme :weird:...not for me

jeff jenkins 11-15-2008 09:28 AM

the tekin is the most user friendly and adjustable speedo out there.. by far the best i have ever used and being able to update the software is a big plus.. also the size. its nice to have a speedo that doesnt take up 2/3 of chassis space.. lol