Wiki Posts
Search

new to 1/8th scale electric

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default new to 1/8th scale electric

I want to convert my kyosho inferno based igt car to a brushless electric. What would you reccomend for speedo, motor and conversion kit. I would like to be able to compete with the gas cars on the track and make a 30 min main with one battery change if that would be possible?

Let see some links, maybe a full kit would be nice.

Thanks,
Old 11-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There are several ways to go on this and you should be able to make a 30 minute main with 1 battery stop.

Conversions:

RC Monster
RC Product Designs
Novak

Motors:

Neu
Medusa
Castle (soon)
Tekin (maybe by Early 2009)
Losi
Novak

Controllers:

Castle
Tekin
Losi
Novak

You will get a large number of answers as to what you should run, but here are the basics.

If you want to run a 4S Lipo, you should run a motor with a Kv around 2000. 5S setups usually run around 1700 rpm/v. The experience on the forum is that a 4s setup will burn about 300mAh per minute of run time. A 5S will be around 200-250mAh per minute. These numbers come from offroad so your times may vary. 5S packs that I see used are usually around 4000-5000mAh (15-20 minutes of run time) and the 4S are usually 5000-6000mAh (15-20 minutes run time).

The size of the motors that are currently used range from 36mm diameter and 60mm long up to 42mm diameter and 70+mm long. These include the neu 1512 and 1515 series, the Medusa 60mm motors and the 70's when they come out, the Losi 1/8th motors, the Castle Mamba Monster Motors, and the Novak Hv series usually the 7.5.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

By the way, the most popular setup seems to be Castle controllers and Neu motors. The Mamba Monter Max Version 3 seems to be descent. The first two versions had some bugs. The Neu motors are the best, most expensive motors. Castle's motors are supposed to be built from Neu's design but really haven't hit the market yet.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

ok so I see on rc monster a kyosho motor mount, looks to maybe work with all kyosho's? Also I see the monster mamba with the motor is out now, so that looks like a good place to start. Then what about brakes and the two speed on the car? how do I get a pinion that will work with the two speed? It would be like an lst so to speak.

Thanks for the help. also do the speedo's have brakes or do I need to use the mechanicals that come in the car?

Thanks for the help
Old 11-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Contact Dan at Rc Product designs. He can answer all your questions.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

I am not totally sure about the motor mount thing. You can call and ask RC Monster Mike and see what he says.

I completely forgot that your car has a two speed. I have seen a couple of different ways to go about converting. 1. Ditch the two speed since electrics really don't need it. 2. Convert a 2 speed clutch bell to work on an electric motor. I know Fine Design converted one of these cars, but their conversion was a bit ridiculous. They did use the 2-speed with a modified nitro clutch bell. I can't say I recommend buying anything from them, but you can look at how they did things to get an idea of what you might want to do. You can see what they did in this picture

http://www.finedesignrc.com/cars/gtmotor.jpg

They did some other things that are just alittle crazy like water cooling, a radiator, and separate power source for the cooling.

The method of stopping your car can go either way. Some people use the motor for braking and others use the disk brakes. I personally use the motor. It will cause some extra heating in the controller, but the new controllers seem to be built for the abuse. The thing you lose with the motor brakes is your brake bias (front to rear). This doesn't bother me.

Does your car have a center diff inside that two speed? If you decided not to use your 2-speed and you want to use the motor for braking you will have to put in something else. The two speed has a 1-way bearing in it which will defeat the motor brakes.

Last edited by kufman; 11-20-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

no center diff, so no brake bias, but it does have the two speed and the one way might kill the brakes. I guess a one speed might work, but the track I am running in is really long, but if I can do it without the two speed that would even be easier.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bigemike
no center diff, so no brake bias, but it does have the two speed and the one way might kill the brakes. I guess a one speed might work, but the track I am running in is really long, but if I can do it without the two speed that would even be easier.
Generally two speeds don't work well on electric motors, but that is not to say they never work. I would start out with a single speed setup and see how things go. Sounds like you need a center spool to replace the two speed. Just to get things working at first I would just use a regular pinion mated up with the 1st speed of the two speed. You will need your disk brakes with this method. If you end up using the Mamba Monster 2200 motor, you should be able to gear it fairly fast and still have power to spare.