Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
When will we see a beefier 4WD from Kyosho\Losi\AE? >

When will we see a beefier 4WD from Kyosho\Losi\AE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will we see a beefier 4WD from Kyosho\Losi\AE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dethklok151
all you "racers" missed the point.we are all happy that you have your carbon parts to play with.the track i race on can break your carbon parts down the straights,without hitting anything.what the rest of us are after is parts like RPM's stuff.yes rpm material is flexable,but i really dont think that we care about that.does rpm have to make an a-arm 1/8 size to be indestructible on a 1/10 scale?no.

what the point of this thread imo,is about a serious 4wd basher/racer.lately,i have been having a lot of fun with my slash.so have my friends.now one of us has the velineon system in it,and like the newb he is,bought a three cell lipo.i can already see him getting frustrated,which is totally expected.yes i understand that combo really doesnt belong on a track.the point is the driver does.he has been asking me about 4wd buggies.what would i suggest?the only 4wd's are pretty much racer only.so now we get to the topic of this thread.
i ran a crt.5 for a while,and after a bunch of mods,i could pretty much beat that thing like an 1/8 scale.honestly,if traxxas came out with a 4wd slash type vehicle,id be all over it.would i care that it didnt handle as well as a zx-5,or b-44?no.would i be happy that i could drive it in my yard,or in an empty lot at ridiculous speeds without spinning out all the damn time?hell yeah!would i be ecstatic because when i broke it,the hobby shop had parts for it on the shelf,like they do for losi,and associated?hell yeah!

a 1/10 scale 4wd stadium by a popular manufacterer seems like the most sensible rc investment ever.1/10 scale brushless systems are cheaper than 1/8,imo by far.batteries as well.on a small tangeant,brushless has kind of messed stuff up a little by being too fast.dont get me wrong,i love brushless.but when a guy puts the velineon,or almost any other combo in a 2wd car,its overpowered.not everybody is a hardcore racer that is gonna put the time and effort into it to figure out how to drive a 2wd truck effectively at warp factor nine.but he does stand a better chance of staying in the hobby,if he can just as easily point and shoot with a 4wd at twice the speed as he could with a 2wd.
which makes me wonder,why companies put so much time and effort into things like the high roller from losi,instead of a super durable electric 4wd.i really feel like the market is there.
Sounds like your friend wants a tamiya dark impact. These kits that you want are out there, your just not lookin.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Spend the money up front and save in the long run - 501x

I busted an 1/8 scale in a collision with my 1/10 scaler, the thing is bomb proof.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by downtempo
Spend the money up front and save in the long run - 501x

I busted an 1/8 scale in a collision with my 1/10 scaler, the thing is bomb proof.
What he said. You got any front arms for my jconcepts? I kid I kid
Old 11-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

4wd buggy should run 380 size motors & small 200 gram lipos. This would drop the weight to 1200 grams which would make them last a whole lot longer. The e-firestorm is by far the best current chasis to get behind for 1/10th atm. You can set them up so that they will perform just like a t-4 does. The only thing is that they do not break. I have clipped walls while going at 45+mph and never had a problem. The transmission is tougher then nails. I dropped a mamba 7700 into it does not show any signs of wear at all after about 100 20+ minute runs. The diff cups aren't even showing wear. The truck does need an alum front pivot(the one weakness).
Old 11-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

Too bad HPI do not plan to release a E firestorm Kit.
I'm a T4 owner. The only thing that hold me to be a better a driver is the car itself ... I know if I try a jump, if I try a different trajectory it will always end into parts...
Frustrating.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

$350 for a complete roller w/ a mamba side winder w/ 5700 motor is a pretty good deal.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

i dont have much experience with current tamiyas,but rumor has it that they are pretty tough.whats a 501x cost ?you really dont need to answer that cuz its a lot more than a slash.they also dont have the parts availability of ae,losi or traxxas.oddly i am kind of looking into a durga atm.not that it has to be a stadium truck,but i could see the market supporting a slightly less raceable,but more bashable truck over a buggy.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:55 PM
ZAR
Tech Rookie

I am looking at the Durga also for racing. Its going to need some hop ups right away but I think this would be a good beginner 4wd.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default 4wd corr truck

i'm for a 4wd slash or pro-line could just make a corr style body to fit all the 1/10th scale electric 4wd's. they could sell body mounts so they'd fit. losi did this with there xx4 several years ago. i was one of the only racers that tried this back then. everyone thought it was stupid because it made the buggy slower. i thought it was cool then and i think it would sell now. losi was ahead of there time with it, but i think the slash has opened the door for it now. i never broke my losi while i was running this truck body.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
1/10th scale mod 4wd is a advanced class. The maintenance is higher and the cars don't like to be over driven. They are fast and heavier then 2wd therefore they are less forgiving on contact.

I really see no issues with the car i run in terms of durability and frankly if you intend to drive one like a 1/8th buggy your gonna break it.
+1
Old 11-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Or just learn how to drive start with stadium truck then go to 2wd buggy then go to 4wd. Don't drive it like a ass and you'll be fine
Old 11-17-2008, 05:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Umm, the E-Revo already exists. Isn't that the answer to an electric 4wd pretty much from Traxxas?

Or how about an electric conversion on the Slayer since that's a good cross between a Revo and a Slash?

Or the Tamiya?

Or an E-1/8?

There are plenty of vehicles out there that fill the need of a bash capable electric...or at least convertible. It really is just a matter of buying the right vehicle for what you want to do.

Obviously a 1/10 4wd buggy is not the right vehicle choice for your friend. So steer him to any number of currently available vehicles and go have some fun.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dethklok151
all you "racers" missed the point.we are all happy that you have your carbon parts to play with.the track i race on can break your carbon parts down the straights,without hitting anything.what the rest of us are after is parts like RPM's stuff.yes rpm material is flexable,but i really dont think that we care about that.does rpm have to make an a-arm 1/8 size to be indestructible on a 1/10 scale?no.
I sincerely doubt your track can break my B44 by driving it on the straight. Do you have rocks on the track? RPM used to make arms for the RC10 and JRX series of vehicles. They stopped around the XX and the B2. I wonder why? hmmmm. Could it be that that AE and Losi improved their arms to be more durable?

what the point of this thread imo,is about a serious 4wd basher/racer.lately,i have been having a lot of fun with my slash.so have my friends.now one of us has the velineon system in it,and like the newb he is,bought a three cell lipo.i can already see him getting frustrated,which is totally expected.yes i understand that combo really doesnt belong on a track.the point is the driver does.he has been asking me about 4wd buggies.what would i suggest?the only 4wd's are pretty much racer only.so now we get to the topic of this thread.
i ran a crt.5 for a while,and after a bunch of mods,i could pretty much beat that thing like an 1/8 scale.honestly,if traxxas came out with a 4wd slash type vehicle,id be all over it.would i care that it didnt handle as well as a zx-5,or b-44?no.would i be happy that i could drive it in my yard,or in an empty lot at ridiculous speeds without spinning out all the damn time?hell yeah!would i be ecstatic because when i broke it,the hobby shop had parts for it on the shelf,like they do for losi,and associated?hell yeah!
Kyosho makes a RTR of their Lazer Buggy. Why not suggest that one to him? Or as mentioned earlier, the Tamiya?

a 1/10 scale 4wd stadium by a popular manufacterer seems like the most sensible rc investment ever.1/10 scale brushless systems are cheaper than 1/8,imo by far.batteries as well.on a small tangeant,brushless has kind of messed stuff up a little by being too fast.dont get me wrong,i love brushless.but when a guy puts the velineon,or almost any other combo in a 2wd car,its overpowered.not everybody is a hardcore racer that is gonna put the time and effort into it to figure out how to drive a 2wd truck effectively at warp factor nine.but he does stand a better chance of staying in the hobby,if he can just as easily point and shoot with a 4wd at twice the speed as he could with a 2wd.
which makes me wonder,why companies put so much time and effort into things like the high roller from losi,instead of a super durable electric 4wd.i really feel like the market is there.
So you want B44 RTR with a Brushless system then? You want it so that if it cartwheels after missing a jump, it won't break a part?

I agree with a few others, perhaps you need to LEARN to drive better.

Punctuation? Capitalization? Grammer? Kids these days...

Originally Posted by Ed237
And from what I've heard, Slashes are pretty much industructable and are great for bashing. Something tells me that few if any current Slash owners will have much patience for 1/10 4wd buggies and of their inherrent limitations.
Your instincts serve you well....

So when someone is ready to step from up the Slash, which looks like an 1/8 buggy with a truck body, what are they going to buy? Its probably going to be a Slayer, or SC8 or something 8th scale.
I'm thinking E-Revo, which is tough, 4wd, and can run on the same tracks as the 1/8 buggies.

And they will probably want something thats ready to go, right out of the box. Something like the 8ight-E; A truly RACE READY electric roller a lot like the nitro roller version which has helped propelled the 1/8 buggy class to the top of racing.
Well, if your too lazy to build a B44 or Lazer, than yes, I think a newbie would want another RTR to run. I'd comment on the effect RTRs have on the hobby, but that's a thread for a different time.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For those who are curious I decided to snap some pics of how Tamiya's A-arms stack up against the other stuff.

All the pic'd cars have had minimal for breakage but have had more A-arm breakage than the 501x... which is zero in almost a year of ownership, well over 350 runs.

The B44:

The Lazer (I doubt the owner of this has busted ANYTHING on his car, mad skillz):

The Cyclone D4:

Something to consider, almost all the drivers of the pic'd cars regularly hand my ass to me in races. They all have pretty extensive experience in off-road, however, I came over from on-road and bashed the crap out of my car (and still do) and the 501x survived the learning curve. I have heard equally as impressive things about the Durga.

I want to make sure to stress that all the 4wd cars have some serious quality/durability on the market now (though from what I have seen the RTR's break from a good breeze, might just be the driver skill in that market). The D4 seems to break the least out of the guy's rides I race against in 4wd mod, but NONE of them break often.

A single hub carrier is all I have had to buy/replace due to breakage. Who cares about LHS parts availability when nuttin' breaks.

For someone that is going to take a while in getting around the track clean? Might just be a Tamiya.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lil_man72
i'm for a 4wd slash or pro-line could just make a corr style body to fit all the 1/10th scale electric 4wd's. they could sell body mounts so they'd fit. losi did this with there xx4 several years ago. i was one of the only racers that tried this back then. everyone thought it was stupid because it made the buggy slower. i thought it was cool then and i think it would sell now. losi was ahead of there time with it, but i think the slash has opened the door for it now. i never broke my losi while i was running this truck body.
Several years ago, more like a decade ago, i almost bought a xx-4 just so i could run that body.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.