Wiki Posts
Search

interior engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Default interior engine questions

Hello,

I have a .15FE, and as much as I want to get a new engine my wallet isn't up for it so I have to make this one survive until atleast christmas.

Lately is has been leaking ALOT! enough that it drained 3/4 of a tank of gas while sitting on my driveway (angled with the rear of the truck down) I know for a fact that it wasn't fuel lines because the oil/mess didn't start until the back of the block. B]what could be the cause of a leak that starts right behind the block?[/B]

also, since I decided to take the engine appart (mostly to see what a nitro engine was like inside, and to see how mine looked) I noticed that the pull start string is all black and oily. how could it get oily? an where ever the oil stuff is comming from it leaked all over the chassis right where the pullstart, back plate, and the block meet. so which of them is the problem? it seemed like there was way more black in the pull start side of the back plate but i dont know how it would have gotten so oily.

and last but not least, the interior of the engine is stained. If i remember correctly castrol oil leaves the dark brown stains, and i am pretty sure wildcat (which is what I am running) also uses castrol oil. is there a way to remove the stains from the inside of the enigne? the stains are on the pilot shaft (where the carb goes and where the rod connects) the whole rod is also a bronze color but I dont know if it comes that color. OH, and how do I remove the same brown colored stains from my exhaust header? it is VERY ugly but I just cant seem to get them off.

thanks in advance for any and all help
Old 10-12-2003, 08:08 AM
Tech Addict

sounds like you have a leaking fuel tank..or a leaking back plate gasket...or a leaking header gasket...the oil on the rope is normal long as it isnt a whole lot they do leak around the backplate shaft sometimes that is why you have to clean the one way bearing ever so often...as for the stains they shoudlnt hurt anything and also is your pipe anodized or what because you could use some different cleaning methods on it if so..
Old 10-12-2003, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

the pipe is a composite plastic but the header is some other non anodized metal. The pull string cord is REALLY oily, and its black oil, almost looks like dirty engine oil (from a real car)

I took everything appart and tightened it up really good but due to my heavy load of HW from school i haven't been able to run or work with it more.

BTW thanks for the reply
Old 10-12-2003, 09:01 PM
Tech Addict

you might could use engine degreaser on your pipe and pull alot of that grime off..yeah if you have a leaky header it sure makes a mess on the car..and it will be black grimey looking oil...yeah i have seen alot of pull ropes with oil on them it comes from the back plate shaft...not awhole lot you can do for that other than clean it ever so often....