R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   What parts do u break most often on your B44? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/251051-what-parts-do-u-break-most-often-your-b44.html)

Dan_RC10 11-01-2008 03:36 AM

What parts do u break most often on your B44?

Hi,
I will be purchasing a B44 very soon and i wanted to find out what parts people break most often just so i could stock up on parts.

cheers,
Dan

bushyar15 11-01-2008 03:51 AM

Front lower arms... Buy them by the truckload.....

Dan_RC10 11-01-2008 04:56 AM

do u ever break rears ones often?

WATTSON 11-01-2008 05:22 AM

yes but it hasn't been near as often as the fronts on my BJ4 i have broke one rear and at least 6 fronts in the same amount of time. you might want to get some shock towers too 4wd buggy's are fast and heavy

215slowpoke 11-01-2008 09:03 AM

I have broken one rear arm, 2 front arms, 2 front shock shafts and 2 shock towers. that is in a 3-4 month period of racing almost twice a week. They all have happened in practice, usually when i am trying different lines or doing something dumb. Half of the breaks have been from others running into me during practice while upside down. It may seem like this is alot of parts but this is a very durable car and i would recommend it to anyone.

trdsupra88 11-01-2008 09:37 AM

Spur gears for me...

pullinteef 11-01-2008 09:39 AM

In almost a year of running my B44 I've broken about 4 or 5 front arms, 3 front shock shafts, and 3 front shock caps. Never broken a rear arm yet, never broken a shock tower. Hint, if you never want to break a tower, spend $20 on a spare and you'll never have to use it :) If you have no spare lying around, you're almost guaranteed to break one and you cant find another one. Also, I don't think that doubling up the front towers is necessary.

Dan_RC10 11-02-2008 02:03 AM

thanks for all the help guys:)

kn7671 11-02-2008 02:11 AM

After two months on my B44, I have only broken a single front arm, and one ball cup.

CODMAN 11-03-2008 05:16 AM

After 5 months use...

4 front arms
2 ball ends (replace with RMP units, the AE ones suck)
3 front shock shafts (theses are like glass)
1 shock cap (replaced with AL ones, no more problem)
and about 5 sets of diff gears (partly due to improper shimming)
2 wings (although I don't crash that much anymore, the jumps at my rack are big, so when you do the wing takes a beating).

Hope this helps!

CODMAN

SirSpeedy 11-03-2008 07:18 AM

I'm on my third week of racing mine - 15 runs or so? Haven't broken anything...finished every run...TQ'ed and won this last week.

tom_chang79 11-03-2008 07:51 AM

The two parts I break the most often are the front suspension arms and the front shock shaft. They are both directly in the line of fire (assuming your car is going forward :smile:)...

As for the front shock tower, you can prevent them from breaking by taking two of them and gluing them together with some CA. By doubling it up, I have yet to break one on my B44. I've done this same trick on the BJ4WE and I have never had any issue with them.

I've yet to break any rear arms, but this past weekend, I have managed to crack my rear shock tower. The eyelet of one of the wing mounts snapped off causing my rear wing to rotate about the other eyelet by 90-degrees. Without the wing fully secure, the rear shock tower becomes very vulnerable.

I've been thinking of ways to double this one up as well. I think the top shock bushing of the rear shocks will have to be adjusted (cut down) accordingly to double up the rear shock tower. Don't forget, anytime you double up on the towers, you'll have to go to a longer thread for the bolts. The shock towers are 3mm I believe, so adjust your new length of the bolts accordingly.

Replacing shock towers can get quite expensive ($20 a pop). I'm wondering if anyone out there have a plastic solution. I think a plastic solution would be a lot better since they are so much cheaper to do. I also think it would be nice if someone released a solid front arm, instead of being latticed. I'll take that extra weight over vulnerability any day. I think the weight savings of the latticed structure is negligible if you can prevent it from breaking and finishing your race! ;)

CODMAN 11-03-2008 09:47 AM

I think the front arms are fragile for a reason: to keep from breaking other connected parts that are harder to replace!

My buddy just recently went through 2 front bulkheads (litteraly one after the other) after having a frontal impact. How and why the front a-arms didn't break (they were fine, the hinge pin holder on the bulkhead broke instead) is a complete mistery! But if the arms were stronger, the bulkhead would take more of the hit and break more often. And changing the bulkhead is much more complicated/ longer. Same goes with the shock tower I guess; stronger means more stress on the other parts...

Anyways, by far the most fragile parts on the car are the front arms and shock shafts!

CODMAN

Originally Posted by tom_chang79 (Post 5009322)
The two parts I break the most often are the front suspension arms and the front shock shaft. They are both directly in the line of fire (assuming your car is going forward :smile:)...

As for the front shock tower, you can prevent them from breaking by taking two of them and gluing them together with some CA. By doubling it up, I have yet to break one on my B44. I've done this same trick on the BJ4WE and I have never had any issue with them.

I've yet to break any rear arms, but this past weekend, I have managed to crack my rear shock tower. The eyelet of one of the wing mounts snapped off causing my rear wing to rotate about the other eyelet by 90-degrees. Without the wing fully secure, the rear shock tower becomes very vulnerable.

I've been thinking of ways to double this one up as well. I think the top shock bushing of the rear shocks will have to be adjusted (cut down) accordingly to double up the rear shock tower. Don't forget, anytime you double up on the towers, you'll have to go to a longer thread for the bolts. The shock towers are 3mm I believe, so adjust your new length of the bolts accordingly.

Replacing shock towers can get quite expensive ($20 a pop). I'm wondering if anyone out there have a plastic solution. I think a plastic solution would be a lot better since they are so much cheaper to do. I also think it would be nice if someone released a solid front arm, instead of being latticed. I'll take that extra weight over vulnerability any day. I think the weight savings of the latticed structure is negligible if you can prevent it from breaking and finishing your race! ;)

Dan_RC10 11-19-2008 02:51 PM

thanks for the help guys. i should b ordering the b44 soon along with some spares:D