Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What is the lowest C rating I should look at for a LiPo? >

What is the lowest C rating I should look at for a LiPo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the lowest C rating I should look at for a LiPo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

and people wonder why there are lipo failures for a 10.5 you dont need anything more than a 4000 15c you can still gear outrageous and still keep some money in your pocket but im sorry but when i run mod i want as much punch as possible and if i cant handle the motor i change motors not run a lower c rating battery thats just asking for trouble when i run my 15c 5000 pack in my t4 with a mamba 5700 it feels lacking down low but when i run a 30c trakpower holy crap i love it so much punch its greeat not only if you run a higherc rating pack not only the pack run cooler but you will also use less mah with the higher c pack
Old 10-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chewiefttc4
and people wonder why there are lipo failures for a 10.5 you dont need anything more than a 4000 15c you can still gear outrageous and still keep some money in your pocket but im sorry but when i run mod i want as much punch as possible and if i cant handle the motor i change motors not run a lower c rating battery thats just asking for trouble when i run my 15c 5000 pack in my t4 with a mamba 5700 it feels lacking down low but when i run a 30c trakpower holy crap i love it so much punch its greeat not only if you run a higherc rating pack not only the pack run cooler but you will also use less mah with the higher c pack

You have no clue what you are talking about. For example you use a nomadio LOL !!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
You have no clue what you are talking about. For example you use a nomadio LOL !!
Agreed, for a spec class a "punchier" battery is wanted or needed. This guys is a clown.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have never had a lipo issue and i have 6 of them for diff cars. My batts are never hot or even warm. Sounds like to me you need to get rid of that mamba and get a senserd system. Cause the only diff to me is punch. With a slower motor i want more and with a faster motor i want less but more run time
Old 10-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

No lipo failures here either and i run cheap ass lipos.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Wow rb5 I'm glad you feel that way. Orignial poster buy that 15c 4000 and showem what's up. Maybe you can use the money you saved for tracktime.

Ih and rb5 I hope we end up racing so I can run circles around you with my 15c pack
Old 10-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I'm not sure if the OP knows this but since it wasn't brought up yet, I will. The "C" rating by itself is irrelevant - it's the C rating multiplied by the pack's mAh rating that tells you the maximum discharge.

So assuming you're talking about a 15c 4000mAh pack vs a 20c 4000mAh pack, yes the C rating is indicative of the performance differences. However a 15c 4000mAh pack has the same discharge ability as a 20c 3000mAh pack - 60 amps.

Just wanted to clarify that in case you didn't know - the C rating alone isn't what's important.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

I figured that these lipo experts already knew that. But hey I know nothing cause I run nomadio.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

damn dude!! Did someone hit a raw nerve or what?? 20+ years, your right , no one else knows anything , and you are the man so the rest of us should listen to you.
Take that crap somewhere else.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I wasn't directing that at you, I meant that for the original poster as he seemed to be shopping only C ratings.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

my reply wasnt directed at you either miller.must be chewie edited his post before you replied, but it was super duper, about being sposored and all.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
my reply wasnt directed at you either miller.
And my rant wasn't. Directed at you it was directed rb5 sorry for the misunderstanding
Old 10-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

Guys, not wanting to start a war here... But since you can dial down a motor with many other ways (ESC, transmitter, etc...), wouldn't it be best to have a high enough C rated Battery so it's not limiting your motor (and therefore nor overheating, since a motor that draws more than the Lipo can handle will cause it to overheat)? Thus you can gain the max performance out of your motor? And if with that the motor is still too punchy, you can dial it down with the ESC, your transmitter or even as was suggested buying a milder motor? It still seems to me that this is a better option than buying a low rated Lipo to limit the motor so it is more controlable. I mean, what is the use of running a Novak 3.5T motor in a 2wd buggy on a 10C rated pack so it's controlable, when you should be running a milder motor instead or at least limiting the punch/timing with the ESC/ transmitter?

I do understand the need for high C ratings for high wind motors; to get the most out of them. And that a low turn Mod motor has so much punch that the higher C rating is not needed to deliver more punch than can be handled. But I'd still think this would be good to have for the low turn motors! That low turn motor is going to try drawing lots of current. And if the Lipo is holding it back, the Lipo is going to heat up which isn't good (now wether this will cause a failure is debatable...). It seems to me that for the system, it would be much better having a Lipo capable os easily dishing out the power (high C rating), that stays cool, and limiting the punch with the ESC/ transmiter.

Once again, not trying to start a war here! It just seems counter-intuitive to me to be using the C rating of a Lipo to dial in the behaviour of my buggy! I might be wrong though...

Cheers!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Wow rb5 I'm glad you feel that way. Orignial poster buy that 15c 4000 and showem what's up. Maybe you can use the money you saved for tracktime.

Ih and rb5 I hope we end up racing so I can run circles around you with my 15c pack
What makes you think you could run circles around me ?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Rb5 that was preety s h I t t y of you to base my knowledge on what radio I use. Hey they gave me the radios. I happen to like them. So. Bug off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.