R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Default Novak ESC 7cell = Overheat?????

Hey guys. I have a losi-xxxt with the Traxxas vxl velinien set-up and I run a 7cell batt. The cells are 4500Nmah. I get about 17-20min run times with this set-up and no issues at all.

Now my neighbor comes over and he is running a RC10t4 with a Novak Super Sport 5800 burshless setup. He currently had a 6cell but it's life is over. Anyways he grabbed one of my 7cells and started running it around. I have a small track in my backyard. Well he gets about 5min of run time and the car shuts off and the speed controller is suuuuuuuuper hot. So I did some research. The novak super sport is capable of running a 4-7 cell. So that's not the problem. We checked the gearing Spur 87 pinion 18 that is dead on according to the Novak guide. Also the other problems occuring is glitching really bad. Choppy on the gas and it starts to turn on it's own.

Any idea's what's happening. He still is getting glitching with the 6cell now and even the 6cell is getting his ESC hot not nearly like the 7. He said it did not get how when he first got the car. We have read that maybee the capacitor went bad? how often does this happen?
everyjuangohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You may have to change the gearing for different track conditions... Also make sure that the tires are hooking up.. if they are just spinning and not grabbing it would definitely heat things up.

Other things to look at is the tranny and slipper set up.. make sure they aren't too loose or too tight...

The 5800 novak motor is a 5000kv... with a 7-cell it should be pretty fast... maybe consider putting a fan on the esc...

JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

The gearing guide is based on 6 cells. Gear down a couple of teeth when going to 7. It will still be faster.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

Ok so we did some testing this weekend. Let me know what you guys think.

We did a process of elimination. He is currently running a traxxas reciever and the traxxas cheap Radio the T3 (he is only using this till he gets another radio owed to him)

So we did this. I have a spektrum DX3 so I took my extra reciever and put it in his car, we ran it with both a 7cell and a 6cell. Guess what perfect no glitching whatsoever and the temps on the ESC were fine.

Next we put in a JR receiver. Result super bad glitching.
Next changed the Crystals out in the JR and the Controller. Results. Bad glitching.
Next. Used a totally different controller and JR. Result. Super bad glitching

Our only cure was when running the Spektrum setup.
Is it possible that this ESC and Motor require a much more high end reciever?
everyjuangohome is offline   Reply With Quote