Wiki Posts
Search

Mod Motor Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Default Mod Motor Questions

Hey.
Last night I bought and installed a Orion Core Modified 12x2 for my Losi XXX-4. Previously I was using a P2k Pro, and I just needed more power and figured that it was time to make the move to modified. So anyway I have some questions involving Mod maintenance.

How much maintenence is required? How often do I need to cut the comm? When the comm is cut is that when I install new brushes? It says it has 10-30 run brushes but I dont know what that means though.

Im running this motor with my Novak GT-7 with the default throttle program which is smooth mod. Would I gain anything by moving the program to agressive mod?

Thank you.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

If you vhange the profile to aggressive mod you should have more power out of turns and a little less top speed b/c the drive freq is lower, lower freq also means you will have to cut the comm a little sooner than with higher freq. For how often you have to cut your motor depends on how you drive, what compound brushes, timing, gearing, springs, and if it's really hot it's harder on motors also. So if you have that motor set up like so: 18-20* timing, silver stock springs, their sprint or enduro brushes, and gear the motor * over(20 pinion) you should be good and be able to get say 7 runs before the motor starts to drop off. If the brushes or the comm look worn a lot or discolored then cut it and new brushes, if the brushes aren't discolored people like to reserrate them to use over.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the advice.