Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
caster ex-1 help me please! >

caster ex-1 help me please!

caster ex-1 help me please!

Old 10-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default caster ex-1 help me please!

can anyone please help me? ok guys i'm truly a 1/8th nitro guy but the brushless bug as bit me and the price of nitro doesn't appeal to me anymore! so anyways here's what i got. i'm planning on getting a caster ex-1. it comes as a roller and i need the electronics. only thing is i have no idea what to get. i'm basically looking for a esc/motor combo deal and good lipo battery. the car can hold two batteries. i want something thats affordable but yet competitve. any suggestions? as far as kv,mah,3s,4s,burts,continous and all the other terms i have a bunch of good racing buddies that can teach me all that. thanks guys. looking forward to hearing all the great ideas!
Old 10-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The easiest response is, read/search the giant electric 1/8 thread. The less douchebaggy response would be:

In my opinion, The most affordable but reliable setup would probably be a Mamba Monster Max V3, Medusa 60mm/2000kv motor. Battery would depend on if your track requires hard cased lipos. Since the Caster can take two regular hard cased lipos, almost any 20C or better packs should work fine. Most commonly used would be 4S 5000mah. You can use 5S or 6S with a lower kv motor for better efficiency, I just like the simplicity of 4S. I don't feel that hard cases are truly needed or even that helpful if they are secured properly. I like to feel my batteries after a run and know that they are still hard feeling (some of my older packs now will just barely swell or heat up more at the end of a hard run, so I know they are on the way out.) Best bang for the buck lipo-wise is from hobbycity.com. I like the Zippy-H's. Theres ton's more info but those are my thoughts.

My setup:
RC8
RC-monster motor mount
MM + CCBEC
Neu 1512/2D/F
Zippy-H 4S/5000mah
13/46 Gearing
Old 10-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

You should be able to find several options here

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...elections.html
Old 10-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Default thx

thanks so much. lets helps alot. i'm going to look into that!
Originally Posted by pullinteef
The easiest response is, read/search the giant electric 1/8 thread. The less douchebaggy response would be:

In my opinion, The most affordable but reliable setup would probably be a Mamba Monster Max V3, Medusa 60mm/2000kv motor. Battery would depend on if your track requires hard cased lipos. Since the Caster can take two regular hard cased lipos, almost any 20C or better packs should work fine. Most commonly used would be 4S 5000mah. You can use 5S or 6S with a lower kv motor for better efficiency, I just like the simplicity of 4S. I don't feel that hard cases are truly needed or even that helpful if they are secured properly. I like to feel my batteries after a run and know that they are still hard feeling (some of my older packs now will just barely swell or heat up more at the end of a hard run, so I know they are on the way out.) Best bang for the buck lipo-wise is from hobbycity.com. I like the Zippy-H's. Theres ton's more info but those are my thoughts.

My setup:
RC8
RC-monster motor mount
MM + CCBEC
Neu 1512/2D/F
Zippy-H 4S/5000mah
13/46 Gearing
Old 10-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Default combo?

is that mmm v3 and the medusa 60mm/2000kv a combo deal?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Default battery?

what kind of car do you have? with the caster ex-1 being able to hold 2 batteries will two 4s 5000mah like you suggested be ok?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

No, you would want two 2S 5000 packs, and connect them in series using an adapter, for 4S total.

Also, I'm not aware of any combo deals, but RC-monster.com is still selling the MMM for $145 and the Medusas for $115, though I don't know if you'd be getting a V3 or have to exchange it from castle or wait for stock. I think it's got to be the most economical setup right now.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Default weight

so i'm just concerned about the battery thing. should i just run one battery or since the ex-1 has two battery trays should i run two. i'm worried about the whole weight thing.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

i see. i guess its better that way since the weight balance of the buggy will be more centralized.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would go with the castle monster system. The motors are coming and they are awesome. I use 2 6000 2S maxamps packs in my car, seems to have the weight right. In testing it really felt like a nitro buggy off of jumps....etc. Make sure you get a Y connector for your batteries. I also don't recommend going above 4S. The car is fast even with 1 pack. Many guys run one pack, make a pit stop and switch to the other...giving more run time.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Run a battery pack on both sides. If you run lipos, they will be much lighter than stick packs or anything else. I won't tell you what to do, but do not run with one pack on one side as the balance will be off no matter what anyone says.

Proof? Watch the new Losi 8e video and notice that the right side always drops over jumps....not some jumps, all jumps....
Old 11-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter
Run a battery pack on both sides. If you run lipos, they will be much lighter than stick packs or anything else. I won't tell you what to do, but do not run with one pack on one side as the balance will be off no matter what anyone says.

Proof? Watch the new Losi 8e video and notice that the right side always drops over jumps....not some jumps, all jumps....
Yep, I saw that too. My Caster stays level not matter what. Jumps perfect with both packs.