Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 speed tranny for off road use.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default 2 speed tranny for off road use.

looking for a good 2 speed off road tranny for a project build.

the TMaxx/EMaxx and Savage trannys look to be too large for my needs, so im looking for something smaller, that is automatic, or can be switched on the fly.

what are some good options out?

Tim
Old 10-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Pretty much the only one you can find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TWO-SPEED-Transm...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 10-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Suspended

boy i hope theres more options. I tried one if this guys Spurs gears for a Tmaxx a few yrs back. OMG a Cardboard spurgear would of lasted longer. this pos was on and running for 2 minutes. when over a BUMP (yes i mean bump, as in 3/4 inch tall) in my front yard, when the rear wheels landed the spur gear broke.

Evan a good onroad 2speed should work for what i need.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

How about a traxxas Jato trans?

Old 10-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Suspended

I did take a look. its seems to be about 1/2 the size of the Maxx trannies. im also thinking maybe the newest Revo 2speed may work as it too looks pretty small. I would prefer to keep an enclosed gearbox, as i am looking to use this off road. but the Maxx/Savage trannys i think are just too big.

Fwiw, im only shooting for 2wd on the rear. so i dont care if the tranny just offers a single output shaft, but if it has duals, all the better as i can jerryrig the front as a brake setup.

anyone got GOOD referance pics of these things with something to measure size, like a quarter, or a tennis ball or such? i can look at PDF until my woman Has blueballs in the face, but until you see it next to something you KNOW the size of, determining if its close to the size needed is like pulling teeth out of a living TRex.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Timmahh
I did take a look. its seems to be about 1/2 the size of the Maxx trannies. im also thinking maybe the newest Revo 2speed may work as it too looks pretty small. I would prefer to keep an enclosed gearbox, as i am looking to use this off road. but the Maxx/Savage trannys i think are just too big.

Fwiw, im only shooting for 2wd on the rear. so i dont care if the tranny just offers a single output shaft, but if it has duals, all the better as i can jerryrig the front as a brake setup.

anyone got GOOD referance pics of these things with something to measure size, like a quarter, or a tennis ball or such? i can look at PDF until my woman Has blueballs in the face, but until you see it next to something you KNOW the size of, determining if its close to the size needed is like pulling teeth out of a living TRex.
What exactly are you building? A Jato is a 1/10 RWD Nitro truck......maybe a eBay roller might give you the parts you need? http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old 10-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Suspended

Ok i figured the jato, like most of the larger traxxas units was 4wd. how does the brake set up work? similar to the maxx/revo? or different.

not to be rude, just dont want to divuldge the nature of my project just yet, but once i nail down a few theorys, and take a look at a few parts tomorrow, i should be starting on it middle/end of next week. should be seeing some of items showing up by then.
thanx, a jato roller May work out, but all im really after is a 2speed. will have to do a bit of size comparrison. and ofcourse how the tranny mounts is going to need to be factored into the build.

Thanx peeps. keep the ideas coming.

Timmahh
Old 10-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Ok i figured the jato, like most of the larger traxxas units was 4wd. how does the brake set up work? similar to the maxx/revo? or different.

not to be rude, just dont want to divuldge the nature of my project just yet, but once i nail down a few theorys, and take a look at a few parts tomorrow, i should be starting on it middle/end of next week. should be seeing some of items showing up by then.
It's on the opposite side of the spur, just not shown in the first photo...similar to a XXX-NT truck I would think. Photo just does not show the brake shoes that clamp down....

No problem on the project information.....I just love scratch built, or modified ideas.....I can't stand cookie cutter vehicles....

Old 10-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

After having a Nitro TC3 long time ago, I always wanted to turn it into a 4WD 2 speed off-road electric car....I bet it would fly...
Old 10-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Suspended

man the jato trans is almost right for the job. i say almost because the unit is in combination with the diff setup. I only want the 2 speed function, the drive will be up to an axle housing with a diff, possibly locked.

but if push come to shove, i could maybe still use it, and just leave one side empty. hmmmmm.

the more im looking at it the more im thinking i could make it work.
do you know if the outdrives are 4 or 5mm?
Old 10-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

man the jato trans is almost right for the job. i say almost because the unit is in combination with the diff setup. I only want the 2 speed function, the drive will be up to an axle housing with a diff, possibly locked.

but if push come to shove, i could maybe still use it, and just leave one side empty. hmmmmm.

the more im looking at it the more im thinking i could make it work.
The diff is a "Hardened-Steel Bevel Gear", so I'm sure if you wanted to drop a bunch of epoxy or JB Weld and re-assemble it, that would lock it pretty well....
Old 10-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Suspended

i ll be using a shaft drive axle similar to what you get in a revo/maxx with a Shaft Drive. thats why it still may work in stock form. Is there a Locker made for this setup? if so, i could just put a locker in the diff part then i d just mount it midchassis and use it like a f/r drive, only using the rear side for a drive. if not, then JB weld would work, or silly putty.
it appears to use the standard Traxxas setpin to hold the drive cup on, (bonus in my opinion) so a shaft should work off of it, if, its the correct sized output shaft.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

It looks like those universal end cups on the trans side come off....prob similar to a Revo I am guessing......Traxxas prob does not change too much on the little stuff from vehicle to vehicle.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Suspended

hmm, the one big downfall i see is wieght of the stuff in it i dont need. for that reason alone, the jato may be a bit much.

been looking and the CEN GSR 5.0 tranny is a 2 speed enclosed tranny, and is designed to be mid mounted similar to how i will be doing. I think im going to grab one of these and see if it goes good. i can get one pretty cheap ready to mount up.

Thanx for the help so far, and keep them coming, im not married to the cen 2speed, but i had a ct5 and it worked quite well. so this should also.

Tim
Old 10-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Again....make use of what you are familiar with.....good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.