Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default RC8E (50% complete) *Advice*

I'm about to order some other part to complete my RC8E

Right now i have

RC8 it self.
RCPD Kit( Not installed yet)
Radio control with reciver and servo.

I'll list here what i'm going for. Pls tell me if you see anything wrong.If you do so pls tell me why it's wrong.

First, I'm waiting for the mmmV3.
Motor wise, I was looking for the new medusa 70mmv2 2000kv(not out yet)
Since the motor is not out yet.Should i wait for a combo mmm/motor in november.I dont go for Neu motor right away cause it's my first 1/8 scale and i blow enough money already into this so. if i really REAlly enjoy it i'll go for a neu if medusa fail me.

Is it a good idea to order a Bec even if mmv3 bec finnaly work good?. Any reason why i should use a external bec even whe Esc one work right.

Do i miss anything Motor/Esc wise?

What range of pinion shoud i order any spur should i get beside the stock one and the once for RCpd?

Charger wise, I'm really confuse on what to get.Poeple like so many kind of charger Looking at this thread
but i do know what it need to do.

I want it to charge Nimh etc and Lipo 1 to 6 cell.
I'll go with a HYPERION EOS0606I. I pick up the first one i saw (do i need a powersupply?)

Baterry wise. i plan going with 4s. Correct me here if i'm wrong. If i choose 6s and gear my car to go 45 mph. and do same gear wise on 4s to go 45 mph. car on 6s will heat less. I'm right?.

With all that buy. I'll be able to make my car run but i certainly do need extra stuff/tool that you guys would recommand me.

While i order all this what Rc8 part should i order firt to prevent any futur broken piece.

Ty for helping out a new to 1/8 and mostly Rc car. last car i own was back when i had 13 years old.( RC10 Team car)
mondenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb

Follow this and you will be good

Please note the "top of the line" and "budget" sections...
$$ Team High Budget $$
* Kyosho RB6 17.5, Yokomo YZ2 17.5, Yokomo YZ2 13.5, Yokomo 2015 BD7 BE
17.5 stock buggy fb page
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well thx. it's does answerd a few question but not all of them completly.
mondenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

For the charger question, if you have the ac/dc version, you plug iunto the wall, if not , you will need a power supply.
I cut my own hair ☆
trdsupra88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

BEC: If you get the MMM, you don't need a BEC. The earlier versions had some BEC failures, but even extrernal BECs fail.

Motor: The Medusa's are good budget motors. The 60mm versions seemed hit or miss though. I saw a 70mm and it looks potent. I would probably wait on the Castle motor which is the equilvalent of a Neu 1515. Personally, I think buying the best motor you can afford is important. It is not a part you want to skimp on in IMHO.

Charger: The Hyperion Duo is a great charger. I have the 1210 and like it a lot. I will probably upgrade to the duo next year.

Batteries: The higher voltage/lower KV setups will run more efficient (longer run times). The higher voltage does not necessarily produce less heat on the motor, but it typically will on the ESC because it doesn't require as many amps. However, if you go with a motor around 2000kv on 4s it should be good enough. I personally prefer 5s setups. Typically, you want your motor to spin around 30-35 rpms for racing. Motor KV * Voltage = RPM. Regarding Battery Mah required.
4s 5000 = 5s 4000 = 6s 3300
If you need to race for 15 solid minutes a 2000kv motor with 4s 5000 should be fine.

RC8 Parts:
The rc8 is a great car, but does have some durability issues on the front of the car. Replace the top plate with the Associated aluminum or King Headz. Also replace the stock steering knuckles with King Headz or M2C. You will also need to replace the A, B, C, & D plates with King Headz or M2C. After those changes, the car should be pretty durable.
Cars I've Owned: Tekno EB48 & SCT410, AE 8.2e, AE SC10 4x4, MBX6e Tekno V4, Xray 808e, Xray 8Te, Losi 810e, Losi SCTE 4x4, Losi 22, Hot Bodies Ve8, Losi 8te, and plenty of Traxxas

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
Tech Legend
Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)

For chargers, make sure you consider the voltage of the battery versus the wattage of the charger. For example with a 50W charger:

50W / 7.4V = 6.75Amp max charging rate

50W / 14.8V = 3.37Amp max charging rate

So on your conversion, you will find that you will have LONG charge times on a 14.8V battery in say a 5000mah size as you will only be able to charge at 3.37Amps as I understand it.

Go with a charger that its wattage will cover a 1C charge rate (in case of 5000mah battery, 5 Amps). The hyperion 610i-net charger is an excellent unit, very powerful. The duo can charge two batteries at once and I believe is 180Watts per channel. I actually have two brand new duo's if you are interested.

As for motor, the Medusas are good, just make sure you get the heat sink.

As for parts for the RC8 using the RCPD kit, make sure you buy the center diff gears kit that will have the extra shims you need, and, buy the rear protector plate thing that associated sells. You will use screws that the protector plate replaces in the spots for the conversion. These are longer than what is there and works better.

For gearing with a 4S setup, go in the 18T-20T range to start with for a 2000kv motor. This is what I use.
< Durango DEX8, DESC410V2, DEX410V5>
< Team Associated RC10B6D>
Cain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

You should be able to find several options here

What's your 1/8th electric selections?
I cut my own hair ☆
trdsupra88 is offline   Reply With Quote