R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   need tips on brushless 1/8 scale conversion! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/248546-need-tips-brushless-1-8-scale-conversion.html)

yoshgixxer 10-19-2008 07:35 PM

need tips on brushless 1/8 scale conversion!

looking into building a 1/8 scale brushless for this seasons indoor off road races. Really not liking nitro so much after having lots of brushless lipo powered heli's and seeing how crazy the power is!

so i have compiled a small list of what i need to know

1- what is the best conversion kit out there? tekno looks nice..but do you really need the clutch set up...i guess front rear brake bias is nice:)
2-brushless motors?? so many which one?? track is indoor off road clay,high traction really tight not lots of straight aways
3-esc?? whats a good one!?!?
4-lipo's? how many cells, how many milliamps, and what c rating?..i have a bunch of 2600 3s tp 25c packs...will this work? (only 7 minute mains)
5-run times?? can a 5000mah pack work if i want to run a 30 minute main?
6-read alot about plastic kyosho spur gears? why not keep the steel??

basically lookin for a good set up with great power but id rather have longer run times over ultimate power.if this goes good this winter i may be lookin to attack out door with this thing but it would have to last 30minutes in a main. i guess with a velcroed on body and quick velcro straps i could do a battery swap in 20-30 seconds with a good pit guy?

dont know? really blind to this any info would be soooo appreciated!

teeforb 10-19-2008 10:44 PM

ALL U NEED TO KNOW RIGHT HERE :nod:

yoshgixxer 10-20-2008 01:58 PM

found lots of answerers! but nothing on run times?? and no clear answer if you do need or dont need a clutch?? alot of opinions i guess but how dose the braking feal with a brushless?,and i assume if its braking through the diff...when it dives its going to unload alot of the braking power to the rear wheels?

I NEED TO TEST DRIVE ONE!:nod:

teeforb 10-20-2008 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by yoshgixxer (Post 4959197)
found lots of answerers! but nothing on run times?? and no clear answer if you do need or dont need a clutch?? alot of opinions i guess but how dose the braking feal with a brushless?,and i assume if its braking through the diff...when it dives its going to unload alot of the braking power to the rear wheels?

I NEED TO TEST DRIVE ONE!:nod:

there are some runtime answers there, but maybe not with your setup. In terms of using a clutch or not, it's very subjective. From my understanding, here are pros cons on both:

direct drive:
pros: fast response time, save a servo space and complexity
cons: motor runs hotter

clutch:
pros: cooler motor
cons: lag in response, extra servo to deal with.