Mamba max viable for racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba max viable for racing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Tech Adept

The MM is a great little ESC. Ran it in my 4WD mod for racing and never had any problems with it and the abuse it can handle is amazing. I have also run the MM in my 1/8th scale truggy and am running a MMM in my 1/8th scale buggy. Great value for all levels of RC. The castlelink software is also very easy to use and intuitive. It is nice to have that comfort of mind when it comes to my RC electronics.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just to put in another good word for the MM....

I absolutely LOVE mine. Works (too) well in my on-road, and on the occasion I get to swap it into my old B44, the thing absolutely RIPS. Great tunability, top-tier customer service and an excellent product from an American company.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gweed
They dont offer updates because they dont need to

I also know a couple of 100% sponcerd guys who use the lrp over their free stuff because its better then the rest.

They need upgraded software because they cant afford a real research and development department.

And If you want to call people names. You better learn who you're talking about first and if we were face to face i garentee you would change your tone tough guy.

1. They don't offer updates because they didn't have the foresight to grow into an untapped market, where firmware upgrades at no cost simply eclipse the idea of buying new hardware to replace the old, outdated unit(s).

2. Is LRp REALLY "better than the rest"? I think that's a pretty subjective analysis.

3. They "need" software updates because of no R&D? Au contraire, my friend. Their R&D department is obviously ahead of the curve, since they are able to fix problems on a new tech product on a regular basis, and manage to improve upon it at the same time.

4. Cut the e-tough bullshit.

If you like LRP/Novak, then great. I don't have anything bad to say about either of them, and I think they put out a fine product. Just because someone you know uses it, or you yourself use it, doesn't mean people aren't having better experiences with other products; i.e. I love my RB in my RC8, and I have good results with it, but someone driving next to me might be doing just as well with something completely different -- so who am I to say he should buy RB?

Stop swinging from LRP's proverbial nuts and keep the negativity out of the forums.

To the original poster: Good luck in finding what works for you.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

lol @ gweed. He was stinking up a kyosho thread the other week too. Basically, he doesnt really know what hes talking about and whatever he says should be ignored and overlooked. Oh and for the guy that called him "e-tough" i think the more fitting phrase is "internet tough guy."

anyways, i raced with a maba sidewinder 5700 in my zx-5 and my brother with a mamba max 5700 in his b44. Runs great! Tons of power, and really nice! So if you want something GREATLY affordable and still raceable...i say Mamba Sidewinder 5700. You can find it places for like $125...cant be beat at that price...
Old 10-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

You asked for an opinion...
I started this race season with a novak system, and I thought it was great told everyone I wouldn't have anything else......

But now I have a MM/NEU system....
no comparison
I THINK:
better speed
better run time
less heat everywhere

this is just one guy's experiance..
Old 10-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default mm

i run a mm 7700 system in my xxx-t mf2 on 2s lipo at my local track in parkersburg wv and we all run together as in gas and elec. i have it geared 13/88 and it is the smoothest thing i have ever drove at the track gotta love that mamba!
Old 10-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gweed
you guys are crazy. you should get a lrp sphere or a novak i hear the orion one is pretty good also. sensored is the way to go its smoother and those 3 you dont have to play with the settings on a computer thier punch, brake and drage brake settings are easy to use and very effective. some of the best rc racers in the world use these products. the proof is in the pudding. also some thing to live by K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid.
It took me a while to quit laughing to respond to this. It depends on what you are looking for I guess. If you want a GOOD system at a GOOD price for club racing then go with the mamba. If you want a system that you can fine tune every aspect of it to fit your driving style or track conditions, go with the mamba. On the other hand, if you and your buddies want to see how many speedos you can blow up, go with the novaks. I saw one guy go through 2 GTB's in one night. Not to mention all the others. Some were user error probly but some are just novaks blowin up becuz they can. I personally own a mamba and a novak, if I was buying another one tomorrow it would be a mamba or sidewinder. If you are gonna get a sponsered free ride then I guess you could go with the flow but remember you still have to wheel the thing. As I said I own both and formed my own opinion. Watchin novaks go up in smoke or how smooth my mamba 4600 is, I don't know which helped form it more. I also forgot how much easier it is to adjust a novak pulling out the fold out instructions and counting lights and hoping you set it right or plugging the mamba into a laptop and being done in 2 seconds, what an abosolute pain that is, having all the settings right in front of your eyes and knowing where stuff is set instead of holding this button for 5 seconds and counting leds blinkingand going back to the sheet and seeing if it is even the right led. Who was it that said "keep it simple stupid"? One screen on a laptop or that other way, you can choose which is easier but I will race anyone setting up there GTB and me setting up my mamba.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lenman73
It took me a while to quit laughing to respond to this. It depends on what you are looking for I guess. If you want a GOOD system at a GOOD price for club racing then go with the mamba. If you want a system that you can fine tune every aspect of it to fit your driving style or track conditions, go with the mamba. On the other hand, if you and your buddies want to see how many speedos you can blow up, go with the novaks. I saw one guy go through 2 GTB's in one night. Not to mention all the others. Some were user error problym but some are just novaks blowin up becuz they can. I personally own a mamba and a novak, if I was buying another one tomorrow it would be a mamba or sidewinder. If you are gonna get a sponsered free ride then I guess you could go with the flow but remember you still have to wheel the thing. As I said I own both and formed my own opinion. Watchin novaks go up in smoke or how smooth my mamba 4600 is, I don't which helped form it more. I also forgot how much easier it is to adjust a novak pulling out the fold out instructions and counting lights and hoping you set it right or plugging the mamba into a laptop and being done in 2 seconds, what an abosolute pain that is, having all the settings right in front of your eyes and knowing where stuff is set instead of holding this button for 5 seconds and counting leds blinkingand going back to the sheet and seeing if it is even the right led. Who was it that said "keep it simple stupid"? One screen on a laptop or that other way, you can choose which is easier but I will race anyone setting up there GTB and me setting up my mamba.
Actually when novaks blow, it IS user error. Plugging something in backwards, a connection going loose, something not being solered right. Its the USER that doesnt know any better that blames the product and thats what you've been seeing. And your adjustability comparison is invalid, you are comparing apples to oranges. A device you can tune with a manual and LEDs that does NOT cost extra is a plus nomatter what. A mamba...you need the laptop to do the fine tuning and you think that doesnt ADD to the cost? I need my $800 laptop to tune my mamba? Unfair comparison. Its nice for those that already have a laptop but most people have a desktop, in which its still an advantage but doesnt compare to "tuning in the car" like the novaks. I have a GTB, a RMF one and an XBR. Not a single problem because i know how to handle my stuff. As i mentioned, i like my sidewinder too. They are all good.

This thread isnt here to bash a product as you so unkowingly ignored, its here to answer the question "is a mamba system viable for racing?" which, at its simplest, results in a resounding yes or no. NOT "well novaks suck so yes, they are viable for racing." Thats OUTSIDE the scope of the question to think your responses through before you type. Better grammar would also help.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hallj290
i run a mm 7700 system in my xxx-t mf2 on 2s lipo at my local track in parkersburg wv and we all run together as in gas and elec. i have it geared 13/88 and it is the smoothest thing i have ever drove at the track gotta love that mamba!
Just in regards to this post, I have a xxx-t mf2, I'm down in backwards New Zealand and moving to Australia in a couple days. We dont run much brushless and no lipo in NZ (bit slow down here) what would this setup equate to in running 4600mAh NiMh and a brushed motor?? cheers
Old 10-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I run a Mamba Max in a Brushless Revo. It has never shut down and is a cinch to setup with a usb. Once I had it set I never changed it so I didn't need to have the usb and computer at the track. That's the monster truck though. A smaller truck may have more adjustments but that's OK because A MMax can also be set manually with LED counting like most others. I did recently get a Speed Passion system for my CRT.5 conversion. It is nice and programs with a "card". Plug it in and the box takes you through the different settings and you're done. It's a nice way to set the controller and not need a computer also.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Is castle making a sensor esc? hope they do soon, I have a novak gtb which good the only thing I dont like is the programing not like mamba its so easy just hook it up in your PC and your good to go.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by muzza_t
Just in regards to this post, I have a xxx-t mf2, I'm down in backwards New Zealand and moving to Australia in a couple days. We dont run much brushless and no lipo in NZ (bit slow down here) what would this setup equate to in running 4600mAh NiMh and a brushed motor?? cheers
it would not have as much of a punchy feel as a lipo would with ok run time
Old 10-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if you aks me there is nothing wrong with the novak,lrp,MMax escs to me they all work the same
Old 10-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Default WoW

gweed, ur a dumb ***K. mamba max pwns all over novak
Old 10-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
Actually when novaks blow, it IS user error. Plugging something in backwards, a connection going loose, something not being solered right. Its the USER that doesnt know any better that blames the product and thats what you've been seeing. And your adjustability comparison is invalid, you are comparing apples to oranges. A device you can tune with a manual and LEDs that does NOT cost extra is a plus nomatter what. A mamba...you need the laptop to do the fine tuning and you think that doesnt ADD to the cost? I need my $800 laptop to tune my mamba? Unfair comparison. Its nice for those that already have a laptop but most people have a desktop, in which its still an advantage but doesnt compare to "tuning in the car" like the novaks. I have a GTB, a RMF one and an XBR. Not a single problem because i know how to handle my stuff. As i mentioned, i like my sidewinder too. They are all good.

This thread isnt here to bash a product as you so unkowingly ignored, its here to answer the question "is a mamba system viable for racing?" which, at its simplest, results in a resounding yes or no. NOT "well novaks suck so yes, they are viable for racing." Thats OUTSIDE the scope of the question to think your responses through before you type. Better grammar would also help.

I know I'm not following the thread either with this but Novak's do smoke for no reason at all. It's not always user error. I think just about everyone at this point has seen a GTB go up in smoke for no reason so I don't know where you're coming from saying that it's always user error.

Also, about having to have a laptop... you don't. I used to use a laptop but then I found out how easy it is to just use your radio to tune your mamba. It is similar to the way a novak is set except for that you are not rushed. Each step, or function, repeats itself until you choose yes or no by either pulling the trigger to throttle or brake. then it will beep twice, letting you know you are on your second step. you do need to the book to know what step you're on but your not rushed like a novak.

Again, a mamba can do EVERYTHING a novak or LRP can do.... and much more.

Last edited by scott54; 10-17-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.