R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Not sure what's going on here (Novak ESC) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/246186-not-sure-whats-going-here-novak-esc.html)

gfx 10-07-2008 12:13 AM

Not sure what's going on here (Novak ESC)

I bought a Novak HV Maxx BL setup... this is the first time I've tried to hook it up... I'm getting the green light going on every time I hit the throttle, red light comes on when I tap the brake, the servo works, but the motor will not move... Anyone know what the issue might be?

FYI:
Spektrum DX2.0 radio (binded properly; I think)
Fully charged ProMatch 4600 stick pack.
Also, this ESC has/had two battery connectors; I "shorted" one of them to use only one battery, as the instructions say to (not sure if that might have anything to do with my issue).

If you need more info, let me know. I was hoping to run this for the first time tomorrow.

Thanks for any help.

eldivad1 10-07-2008 12:29 AM

have you checked the wiring from the esc to the receiver?

edit: oops... didn't read inside the parenthesis :rolleyes:

RC Dad 10-07-2008 09:11 AM

hook up a voltmeter to the motor leads to see if any power is actually being sent. If so, the motor might be bad, if not it's likely a setup issue.

gfx 10-07-2008 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by RC Dad (Post 4913499)
hook up a voltmeter to the motor leads to see if any power is actually being sent. If so, the motor might be bad, if not it's likely a setup issue.

I just got back into RC... I don't have those types of gadgets.

Does anyone have any other opinions on what the cause may be?

Krio 10-07-2008 04:36 PM

Make sure the sensor harness is in properly and perhaps try calibrating the esc to your radio again. Also, you didn't mention how many cells are in your pack (just "stick pack" so I'm assuming 6 to 8 cells), but if the lipo-cutoff is "on" then the esc won't send power to the motor if you are trying with a 6 cell pack since the cutoff is over 12v.

gfx 10-07-2008 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Krio (Post 4914890)
Make sure the sensor harness is in properly and perhaps try calibrating the esc to your radio again. Also, you didn't mention how many cells are in your pack (just "stick pack" so I'm assuming 6 to 8 cells), but if the lipo-cutoff is "on" then the esc won't send power to the motor if you are trying with a 6 cell pack since the cutoff is over 12v.

It's a 6 cell pack.

The instructions don't mention anything about a Lipo cutoff, and there's nothing other than the capacitor and the other normal wires coming out of the ESC. Since I'm new back into RC, I'm not even sure where the Lipo cutoff should be located.

Krio 10-07-2008 04:52 PM

How old is your esc? If you just bought it new it has lipo cutoff built in and it should be mentioned in the instructions or at least on a separate slip of paper. If not, check out a manual online over at teamnovak.com

gfx 10-07-2008 05:10 PM

Actually, there is no Lipo cut off on this ESC.

teamstrc 10-07-2008 08:22 PM

Have you tried giving Novak a call? Their customer service over the phone is very good and should be able to help you pin point your problem a lot faster. Ask for Charlie :nod:

Steve

gfx 10-07-2008 08:25 PM

Yes, I have called Novak.

Since they are not too far from me, I'm going to head by their HQ in Irvine tomorrow, so they can take a close-up look at it.

teamstrc 10-07-2008 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by gfx (Post 4915859)
Yes, I have called Novak.

Since they are not too far from me, I'm going to head by their HQ in Irvine tomorrow, so they can take a close-up look at it.

That's great! Bring the whole car with a charged battery and your transmitter ready to go, that will really help. They are good folks over there, and should be able to take care of you right away :nod:

Steve

avrcguy 10-07-2008 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by gfx (Post 4915024)
Actually, there is no Lipo cut off on this ESC.

If it is new... Krio is right there is a lipo cutoff built in, and I'm betting that's the issue. Even if it's the older version there should have been an external cut-off included.

Well...Let us know what Novak tells ya.

gfx 10-08-2008 02:35 PM

Just got back from Novak; they offer great service there. They were able to tell me the ESC was somehow water damaged... the reason I didn't know it was is because I bought it used. So, I went ahead and purchased a replacement ESC for about $75. Now it looks like I'm good to go!