Wiki Posts
Search

front spools are they used in 1/10th elec buggys

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default front spools are they used in 1/10th elec buggys

are spools used in buggy racing if not why and what is the prefered form of front drive

stu
Old 10-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Most do not run spools, but many do like the front one-ways.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RC Dad
Most do not run spools, but many do like the front one-ways.
yeah i realise people dont tend to run them but why.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

What would you expect a spool to do?
Old 10-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

1 reason not to use spool is adjusting attitude in the air. might to be to much front sway when you have to hit brakes. i use i center one way just to keep to much front brake off car, making attitude adjustment easier for me. 1 reason anyway.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

turtlebmx,

Not sure there. I run a diff a lot, and it has braking action like a spool would, but no prob in the air...
Old 10-06-2008, 05:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I tried a spool in my XXX4 a long time ago (broke the one way and was too lazy to build a new diff, so I put the diff parts together without any diff balls and glued it all together, I thought it was pretty slick).

worst... idea... ever...

so much push going into the corners and having to slow down too much completely overshadowed any speed you would pick up coming out of the corner hot with the pull from a spool.

a one-way setup is about the best you are going to get compared to a spool, just don't expect to correct yourself mid-air when you screw up a take off for a jump
Old 10-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

to me diffs never had as much braking as spools. thats why said i run a one way center adjustable with diff front. a spool with one way center kind of defeats the purpose.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

all those points are very intresting im considering getting back into electric off road ive been running tc for the last 10 years or so in a tc we always run spool tarmac carpet polish floor its by far the quickest way round any tc race track.

it would make sence when flying a buggy what the spool would efect not sure i agree a spool will make the car push if the setup is corect in the corners but its somthing iam going to have to play with cheers for the replys

stu

carpet wars 2008 10.5 champion
corally stcc 2007 and 2008 champion
Old 10-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Tech Addict

hey Stu, where are you planning on racing ?

Eden Park is open again, and West Kent do the odd meeting
Old 10-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Tech Addict

You'd have to drive like a maniac to get it round a track - but you're a touring car driver so you're most of the way there

I think the ZX5 came with a spool option as part of the front drive options in the kit, but I've never heard of anyone ever trying one.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chris_dono
hey Stu, where are you planning on racing ?

Eden Park is open again, and West Kent do the odd meeting
hey chris eden park will be the local i will also do the wkrcc when its on wanna get into the nationals and see how i fair up.

stu
Old 10-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by oople
You'd have to drive like a maniac to get it round a track - but you're a touring car driver so you're most of the way there

I think the ZX5 came with a spool option as part of the front drive options in the kit, but I've never heard of anyone ever trying one.
hey oople
thats intresting you should say that ive always thought it was other way round every time ive had a play with a friends buggy at the local club i find my self being too smooth and driving diffrent lines but it wasn't my car and it may not have handled like i would like. im looking forward to running a buggy all i need to do now is decide which one D4 501x or B44.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by stuey
hey oople
thats intresting you should say that ive always thought it was other way round every time ive had a play with a friends buggy at the local club i find my self being too smooth and driving diffrent lines but it wasn't my car and it may not have handled like i would like. im looking forward to running a buggy all i need to do now is decide which one D4 501x or B44.
Have you thought about a Pred ? or even (i know they're not popular) an Academy ?

I ran the academy at the last WKRCC meet and had the third fastest time overall in one of the rounds (Kyosho and Pred had the top 2 spots) using brushed gear
Old 10-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chris_dono
Have you thought about a Pred ? or even (i know they're not popular) an Academy ?

I ran the academy at the last WKRCC meet and had the third fastest time overall in one of the rounds (Kyosho and Pred had the top 2 spots) using brushed gear
no chance i dont like either car and to be honest they realy are producing the results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.