Wiki Posts
Search

Is So. Cali still the MECCA of R/C

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Post Is So. Cali still the MECCA of R/C

Good Day Ladies And Gentlemen,

I recently started racing R/C cars again after a long, long break. Come to find out that all my old friends still race but by a thread. When I used to race, there were three perhaps four tracks in southern Cali that were indoor. There were people practically living at the track. What happened? I know gas racing has gotten larger but what happened to the 1/10 scale electric people? Is this more of an east coast hobby all of a sudden. I purchased a T4 truck with all the electronics and recently started racing it. I couldn't believe the cost involved. What we would have given up before to race for so cheap. I mean, tires are always expensive but the lipo batteries and brushless motors alone are awesome. No more cutting motors every night and replacing brushes. I still see people running brushed motors but not everybody. Did people get spoiled and look for some other hobby? How many tracks are there in So. Cali? Where are all the old pros?

Please respond to me when you can. I hope we can get this industry back to what it once was.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

OCRC is a really nice indoor 1/10 electric offoard track in hunington beach, thunder alley is in beaumond and it really nice (had the ROAR nationals over there) and is mostly for 1/8 nitro, and I will name somes other but I dont know alot of information about them: revelation raceway (revrace.com) hot rod hobbies, pegasus, and there is a couple "backyard" tracks that people race in Joshusha Tree and Morongo Valley.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I also just got back into R/C electric after a long time off. I raced gas for a little bit but i like electric more. I rememeber what you are talking about.
Race Prep in Chatsworth. So. Cal. in Garden Grove. MnM in Corona. The Ranch in Pomona.
It seems there arent very many "electric" tracks around except OCRC. 1/8 scale beats up the tracks. I know its off road but it still sucks a little.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
OCRC is a really nice indoor 1/10 electric offoard track in hunington beach, thunder alley is in beaumond and it really nice (had the ROAR nationals over there) and is mostly for 1/8 nitro, and I will name somes other but I dont know alot of information about them: revelation raceway (revrace.com) hot rod hobbies, pegasus, and there is a couple "backyard" tracks that people race in Joshusha Tree and Morongo Valley.
I live in yucca valley and that track in joshua tree (ground control) closed the hobby store moved but the track is gone.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Catch Me
Good Day Ladies And Gentlemen,

I recently started racing R/C cars again after a long, long break. Come to find out that all my old friends still race but by a thread. When I used to race, there were three perhaps four tracks in southern Cali that were indoor. There were people practically living at the track. What happened? I know gas racing has gotten larger but what happened to the 1/10 scale electric people? Is this more of an east coast hobby all of a sudden. I purchased a T4 truck with all the electronics and recently started racing it. I couldn't believe the cost involved. What we would have given up before to race for so cheap. I mean, tires are always expensive but the lipo batteries and brushless motors alone are awesome. No more cutting motors every night and replacing brushes. I still see people running brushed motors but not everybody. Did people get spoiled and look for some other hobby? How many tracks are there in So. Cali? Where are all the old pros?

Please respond to me when you can. I hope we can get this industry back to what it once was.
Every thing jumped up a scale and went nitro.I did the same thing left the hobby and racing and came back.I live in socal too.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by stfitzgerald
I live in yucca valley and that track in joshua tree (ground control) closed the hobby store moved but the track is gone.
Go into Ground Control in Yucca and the owner (Ed I believe) will tell you about the backyard tracks. Like when I was there up for the weekend he said they were racing 10th scale trucks at one backyard track in Joshusha tree and they have 3 backyard tracks theat are pretty well maintained.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile Thanks for the reply,

I've been to OCRC and it is a very nice facility, but what I'm trying to say is why did people go 1/8 scale over 1/10? Are there any other track indoor or offroad within the southbay are or orange county without going out to the boondocks and spending more on gas than my week of racing? I like a little change, yes ocrc will be your home track but don't you feel a strawberry ice cream will taste better than always eating perfect French vanilla. Is anyone working on a new track or should I come back into the hobby in another 11 years. I don't blame Kinwald for moving and I'm sure its not only because of the track selection. Please get back to me with any info.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

A lot of great RC companies are here in Southern California.

AE
Losi
Kyosho
Novak

They are all within about 60 minutes drive of each other.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I've been to OCRC and it is a very nice facility, but what I'm trying to say is why did people go 1/8 scale over 1/10? Are there any other track indoor or offroad within the southbay are or orange county without going out to the boondocks and spending more on gas than my week of racing? I like a little change, yes ocrc will be your home track but don't you feel a strawberry ice cream will taste better than always eating perfect French vanilla. Is anyone working on a new track or should I come back into the hobby in another 11 years. I don't blame Kinwald for moving and I'm sure its not only because of the track selection. Please get back to me with any info.

1/8th scale is easier to drive and bigger size i suppose is mor impressive.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Your best option for electric offroad would be OCRC and Pegasus hobbies.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The electric scene is making a comeback and both Pegasus and OCRC have a great race program. At Pegasus we have seen it grow from a few racers a year ago to roughly 35 to 50 on any given weekend. The same can be said for OCRC as they have sparked new interest in the hobby and have been getting great turn outs.

The 1/10 scale electric race scene died a bit but is coming back. Look at all the new 1/10 scale 2wd and 4wd buggies. Not sure if we will ever get back to how it was in the 80's and early 90's but things are looking good right now. We have to strong tracks that wont be going anywhere and this will bring more people into the hobby.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

No doubt Southern California is still the "Mecca" of R/C and especially R/C Racing. Try following and getting involved in the EP JBRL (Jimmy Babcock Racing League) which hits tracks all over SoCal. Going to Pegasus and Hot Rod Hobbies for Club racing wouldn't be bad either if you don't mind the drive... your also in luck since you run a T4! The REEDY RACE OF CHAMPIONS is this month (Oct.24-26) at Hot Rod... I definitely wouldn't miss it if I was in town! Oh and yes... a lot of the Pros will be there! Check the links below...

http://www.jimmybabcock.com/2008_Electric_Home.htm

http://www.hotrodhobbies.com/Main_frame.htm
Old 10-03-2008, 11:48 AM

where are the alternatives for that title. i cant think of a valid 1 honestly. look at the buggy worlds entry sheet for example. lotta 'FF miles' were logged by US drivers over to the farm 2.

R
Old 10-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

R/C was never even on my radar, growing up in Colorado. I had to move to California to discover it, as an old man (well...oldER). As far as I know, there are only a couple of tracks back home, out here they're all over the place (but like everything in Southern California, you have to drive for hours).

I think there's a ton of room and opportunity for growth in this hobby/sport, though. Just needs better promotion and increased mainstream exposure.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by haulin79
A lot of great RC companies are here in Southern California.

AE
Losi
Kyosho
Novak

They are all within about 60 minutes drive of each other.
Proline is also located in Beaumond by Thunder Alley. There are a couple couple more but I cant think of them right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.