Wiki Posts
Search

Brushed mod motors extinct?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Brushed mod motors extinct?

I was trying to hunt up some replacement motors or arms for our mod stash and everyone's out of stock. I can still find plenty of stocks and specs but I see that AE is clearancing out all their Reedy's on their ebay store; Horizon, Tower and Stormer all have only random single winds and a few low-end Flash/Speed Gems left. How will I keep the SBV2 going faster than 1/8 scale buggies without a fresh 10d?

Is this the end of the Mod motor era? Are we all doomed to run brushless? ....will...not...be...converted...aaaagh!
What will all the RTR bashers do when their Titan 12's and LRP 15's bite the dust after no maintenance?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Holy crap, you're right. I just looked on tower's site and they discontinued all the Orion Revolutions except for the 12T and 14T.

Looks like all Brood has is Checkpoints:
http://www.teambrood.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=727
Old 10-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC Dad
I was trying to hunt up some replacement motors or arms for our mod stash and everyone's out of stock. I can still find plenty of stocks and specs but I see that AE is clearancing out all their Reedy's on their ebay store; Horizon, Tower and Stormer all have only random single winds and a few low-end Flash/Speed Gems left. How will I keep the SBV2 going faster than 1/8 scale buggies without a fresh 10d?

Is this the end of the Mod motor era? Are we all doomed to run brushless? ....will...not...be...converted...aaaagh!
What will all the RTR bashers do when their Titan 12's and LRP 15's bite the dust after no maintenance?
What is wrong with brushless? I hear a lot of resistance but no specific thing that makes me believe brushless is bad. I would understand the resistance if you have a lot invested in brushed motors, speed controls, brushes etc... I love my brushless motors; they are efficient and require little maintenance. I still run brushed motors when needed (Slash Spec and rock crawling). I am a "gadget guy" though so I tend to be ahead of the curve as far as new tech is concerned.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess there will always be people like those who keep their record player and records as well...
Old 10-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

yeah, we do have a significant investment in brushed stuff with 20+ cars in the family. Cost of conversion is one issue, but the brushless stuff we've tried just doesn't have the same feel to it. One of my drivers cleaned up on the 4wd buggy class this past weekend, and was the only brushed motor in the field. He was also the only one not spinning wildly through most of the turns.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SpEEdyBL
I guess there will always be people like those who keep their record player and records as well...
Is it bad that my turntable still has a built in 8-track player?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I like brushed better as well, it does feel better to me.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

RC DAD, I don't want to sound like an R/C ad, but we
are still making mod motors and armatures.

You can order any hand-wound armature you want from us.

Give me a call, 626-963-0422 or e-mail me, [email protected]

Judi
Old 10-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yeah, we do have a significant investment in brushed stuff with 20+ cars in the family. Cost of conversion is one issue, but the brushless stuff we've tried just doesn't have the same feel to it. One of my drivers cleaned up on the 4wd buggy class this past weekend, and was the only brushed motor in the field. He was also the only one not spinning wildly through most of the turns.
What brushless stuff have you tried? The right brushless combo can be amazing--awesome power, super smooth, same speed and rip run after run after run. The wrong brushless combo can be awful for racing--more like an on/off switch. Lets you focus on other things--tires, chassis setup etc.

I am not saying you are like this but alot of guys I see who say they don't like brushless only brushless experience is a Mamba from 2 years ago or the first generation NOvak. The stuff out now is awesome.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

[QUOTE=RC Dad;4895702] How will I keep the SBV2 going faster than 1/8 scale buggies without a fresh 10d?
QUOTE]

its called get a comm cut and brushes !!!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Brushless >>> fried my 8.5 !!!!!

SO

Brush 14x4 in my B4 until I get a new 8.5

=====

Brush is my backup cause I won't put my 3.5 in my B4!!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

i would just go brushless
Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crazy4wdracer
I like brushed better as well, it does feel better to me.
I'll second that.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I bet Banzai has what you need

www.banzaimotors.com

Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

I agree that brushless motors can be a bit more punchy and easier to lose control with. I think most people that have control issues are either new to the hobby and want the "best/fastest" or are used to how a brushed/mod feels. Both issues can be overcome with practice time and setup. My main rub would be cost. When I left the hobby in the early 90's brushed/mod motors were all the rage. I remember the first "hot" motor I got, a reedy twister, and it was awesome. I let a buddy drive my Tamiya Astute and he wrecked it into a curb. I was racing against JrX2's and was winning often. Everybody wanted my motor but nobody wanted to deal with the maintenance; they all liked "throw away" motors. Kind of like the first time I drove nitro. I was all weird about modulating the throttle. Now I love it and it takes a few laps to go back to electric. There is an end of the road for most brushless motors but that is quite a few years out. Don't give up the turntable! MP3s are terrible for sound quality. I am a huge fan of FLAC for that reason. I mainly run brushless because the maintenance is so low and I had little invested in brushed setups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.