Wiki Posts
Search

New member introduction...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default New member introduction...

I wasn't sure if I should post here or in general chat, so I flipped a coin.

I've gotten so much good information here in the past couple of weeks, and more than a few laughs, so I figured I'd go ahead and register.

It's been a LONG time since I've done any RC racing, but on a whim I picked up a B3 buggy off of Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. After a few visits to a local track I am hooked again. I think this time around I would like to try out some electric off-road stuff (I used to race my old RC12LS in a former life).

I've broken enough parts on my B3 already to make me think I should get something newer so that I have convenient access to LHS parts. I like a lot of the cars I am seeing, but I have a bit of a nostalgic soft spot for Associated stuff. Right now I am debating between a B4 and a B44, but that will probably change tomorrow.

Things sure have changed in terms of batteries and motors in the last decade or so - this is exciting. I can't wait to get some more time on the track. I hope at least some of my old skills make their way back to me (not that I had many to begin with).

Anyway, that's a long-winded way to say 'hello.'

Nice meeting you all; nice place you have here.

I must go now and start my endless series of new guy questions...

-mitch
Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Feynman
I wasn't sure if I should post here or in general chat, so I flipped a coin.

I've gotten so much good information here in the past couple of weeks, and more than a few laughs, so I figured I'd go ahead and register.

It's been a LONG time since I've done any RC racing, but on a whim I picked up a B3 buggy off of Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. After a few visits to a local track I am hooked again. I think this time around I would like to try out some electric off-road stuff (I used to race my old RC12LS in a former life).

I've broken enough parts on my B3 already to make me think I should get something newer so that I have convenient access to LHS parts. I like a lot of the cars I am seeing, but I have a bit of a nostalgic soft spot for Associated stuff. Right now I am debating between a B4 and a B44, but that will probably change tomorrow.

Things sure have changed in terms of batteries and motors in the last decade or so - this is exciting. I can't wait to get some more time on the track. I hope at least some of my old skills make their way back to me (not that I had many to begin with).

Anyway, that's a long-winded way to say 'hello.'

Nice meeting you all; nice place you have here.

I must go now and start my endless series of new guy questions...

-mitch
Welcome to RCtech just ask away and the answer will pop up that's for sure.
The B4 and B44 are both good choices. And be sure to research the lip Brushless stuff you will warp speed into the new age.
Later.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Before you go buying a new car, I would look into your options. Back in the day your choice was Losi or Associated. Now days there are at least 4 brands of highly competitive cars out there, namely Academy and Kyosho. And trust me, die hard Losi & Assoc. drivers are converting every day to one of these new cars.

Also, get yourself a LRP Spere comp edition or TC speed control for brushless motors. They have a variety of settings that will allow you to dial in your throttle finger. That will be a big expense, but if you can swing then swith to LiPO batteries. It's crazy how long you can race now days with the new technology. There is no a Truck class that races 20 min mains. At our local track we normally race 3 6min quals and 10 min mains in all elec classes. You dont need a LiPO for 10 min and can make the 20 min mains with 4600 NiMH, but certainly at a dissadvantage.

Good luck on your quest for the right ride!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:31 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

grab as much info as you can from ur local track on what works, what they stock, etc.

BL and lipo are here, and here to stay. check that stuff out and of course be mindful of what u read on here (and internet as a whole).

cant go wrong with the b4, be mindful of 4wd turnout at ur track. seems to go outta flavor real quick. i just practically gave my b4 away along w/all my gear as there is no offroad track within 50mi of me, soon to be a 100.

good luck

R
Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for the welcome. I have nearly burned out the "search" button here. Much to learn, but it's fun.