R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   any help appreciated (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/245264-any-help-appreciated.html)

HOWIE BEDELL 10-01-2008 10:04 AM

any help appreciated

ive been out of r/c racing for about almost 20 years.
you could imagine what batteries , chargers etc look like to me now.
im trying to get my son into it also so we can do it together.
i would like to do 10th buggy and truck,but have no idea what to start with
as far as chargers,motors,esc,batteries,. i like the line of losi vehicles but am open to anything. any info on where to start would be great.
thanks alot

trdsupra88 10-01-2008 10:13 AM

I believe it is much as the same as before*. It depends on what parts are available to you. Team Associated T4s and B4s are great Ready to Runs. I would recommend picking up two midrange batteries and a midrange NiCd/NiMh/LiPo charger.

Flying Monkey 10-01-2008 10:51 AM

My son has had great luck with his XXX-T MF1. He just recently switched to a sidewinder brushless 5700 from random brushed motors and you cant beat the orion lipo batteries and their customer service. As for chargers We use Duratrax ICE chargers with great success.

I would suggest the truck over buggy for him, as the truck is a little easier to drive.

For the money you cant beat the castle creations sidewinder set up. plus the ability to set it up through your computer makes life nice with them.

Bulldawg RC 10-01-2008 11:03 AM

I made the personally made the switch from Losi to associated this year and i absolutely love the B4, T4, and B44. great cars and very nice performance. Get yourself a decent charger so you don't have to upgrade it in the near future. Ice, Hyperion, even the ofna digipeak are all good options. I would personally start off with Lipo and Brushless, do your research on Lipo's and make sure you understand caring/charging them. Brushless is pretty simple to set up and for that i like either the lrp or novak. I prefer to run sensored motors versus non-sensored stuff, personal preference. Batteries, well i am sure most people know i will say Trakpower but orion's are also good, maxamps are ok but prices have gone up. Team checkpoints are made by trakpower so they are the same just different color.

Take a few weeks and look around at local hobby shops and at your local track and see what the others are running and what your local shop carries parts for. Good luck and enjoy the time with your son.

Jason Pelletier 10-01-2008 11:15 AM

If you like losi.....

get a xxx-cr or a xxxt-cr

Losi exceliron esc w/10.5 motor

Orion or trak power lipo.... I suggest orion 3800.. very good battery.

Turnigy accucell charger it's 39.99 and does all types of batterys

servo... i wouldn't go cheap here. JR9100s.

Your ready to drive to the top !

HOWIE BEDELL 10-01-2008 11:51 AM

MY SON AND I THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH.