Tebo Release from Hobbico

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tebo Release from Hobbico

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

How about the companies stop paying all drivers and let this be the hobby it should be?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by SoCalMitch
How about the companies stop paying all drivers and let this be the hobby it should be?
Because it is not just a hobby. It is a "sport" and it is a business.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

it is kind of a vicious circle. Don't like it being more than a hobby, but it has to be in order to generate interest (from people) and money.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SQC049
Because it is not just a hobby. It is a "sport" and it is a business.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

A sport requires athletes and there are no athletes in this hobby, just a bunch people with skills driving toy cars for bowling trophies!

Definition:
sport (spôrt, sprt) n.
Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

And don't try to tell me that driving a toy car requires any real physical activity.

I can see it now the "Drive a rc car and lose 30lb exercise plan".
Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

A sport requires athletes and there are no athletes in this hobby, just a bunch people with skills driving toy cars for bowling trophies!

Definition:
sport (spôrt, sprt) n.
Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

And don't try to tell me that driving a toy car requires any real physical activity.

Hence the reason why I put sport in quotes. Besides, there are other "sports" that do not require muscular physical activity, rather mental. A "sporting event" is really any sort of compatition where two or more people compete using a specific skill set and follow a standard set of rules.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

There's the "pro sport" aspect of R/C and the hobby aspect...it's the same thing, in my view, as skateboarding or virtually any other sport that's played professionally. Anyone can do it, in their backyard or neighborhood park, whatever; but only a few can do it at a level that is so much higher than everyone else, that they can make a living at it.

Fifteen years ago, nobody was making a living by skateboarding. Thanks to Tony Hawk and ESPN's X-Games presenting it as a legitimate sport, quite a few guys do. That doesn't mean you're going to go out, buy a skateboard and become a pro, though...most people are just going to ride around their neighborhood on them.

That's where most people are, with R/C racing. Doesn't make it less of a sport.

I think the definition of "sport" is changing these days anyway, with the advent of "e-sports," people playing video games competitively and whatnot. R/C racing probably falls in a category similar to that.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Definition:
sport (spôrt, sprt) n.

I wonder if Baker, Kinwald, Cyrul, Tebo, Johnson and many others have been racing all these years for just bowling trophies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If that is the case I wonder how they really go about paying the bills they have since all the years they only get bowling trophies. Must of all won the lottery.

It might be a hobby for some but it is a money making job for others. No different than any other types of racing. Some is just for fun while others make a career of it.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

It's a sport.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wyd
Must of all won the lottery..
It must have been a very small lottery because there is not that much money to be made and not much future in racing for bowling trophies. The smart drivers parlay their hobby of racing toy cars into a real job with real money and a real future.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SQC049
I hope he lands at Kyosho for everything, including electric. He is the star that the Kyosho electric team needs. Their cars are great, they just need a huge star to take them to the top.

They have TONS of Tallent, Mark Pavidis, Ronnie Gardner, Ryan Lutz.....
give Ronnie a year. he looked just as fast as the Top 3 at the Nats, like i said, just give him time.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rob Gillespie.
give Ronnie a year. he looked just as fast as the Top 3 at the Nats, like i said, just give him time.
I agree, the Kyosho team has talent, I'm not saying that they don't. What I am saying is that they are missing that one big star. There are very few drivers of Tebo's skill out there, he would push them over the edge.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rob Gillespie.

I saw ronnie gardner in a r/c magazine he looks like Johnny Knoxvilles roommate in the movie "The ringer"

He scratches his CD... LOL
Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

It must have been a very small lottery because there is not that much money to be made and not much future in racing for bowling trophies. The smart drivers parlay their hobby of racing toy cars into a real job with real money and a real future.
That is true I can't imagine that it pays a ton but a few have made pretty long careers from it.

Just think though if you would get all your hobby stuff free how much extra cash we all would have!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then again I look at all the fun I have had doing this hobby/sport/job depending on how you look at it. I have met more people doing this hobby so its worth it.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

With Best Friends ryan and ryan already there, I would think associated is his first choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.