Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2WD-4WD-TRUCK Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lightbulb 2WD-4WD-TRUCK Which one?

I am getting back into the racing scene after several years and I am tryiing to decide which class to get back into. I raced truck for several years but I havbe been told that it is not the popular class anymore. I don't want to invest into a new ride only to find out there is not enough competition or that a year later the class is obsolete. I have to travel a couple hours to race so I don't have the "local Track" to check out what is popular on a week in week out basis. I have heard 4WD's are fragile and I also don't want to break every time out. Give me some ideas and opinions please.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

2wd buggy is the most popular. I wouldn't suggest 4wd as your main class starting out. More maintenance and it's a faster pace kinda racing so learning the patience needed with close competition in the 2wd would really be more ideal for starting up again.

Also a 2wd is more forgiving if you hit another racer, a pipe, Or have a rollover.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

The title says truck so assuming you want a truck and there isn`t a 4wd stadium truck class to race . 2WD stadium truck is very popular and don`t see it going away anytime soon . For your first rc I`d get a 2wd truck over a buggy . Trucks are more stable and a little easier to drive and if you hit another truck , pipe , or wall they don`t flip over as easily . The AE T4 and Losi XXX-T are the two most popular to get for racing . I`m a Losi fan and many will tell you to get what they like . I`d go to the track and to the hobby shop to see what brand is popular to race and have best parts support .
Old 09-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry about that, I am talking about 2WD truck. I heard a rumor on another post that there may be a T5/B5 next winter. Any truth to that?
Old 09-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ESmith
Sorry about that, I am talking about 2WD truck. I heard a rumor on another post that there may be a T5/B5 next winter. Any truth to that?
That is just wishful thinking .
Old 09-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would say 4wd

Yes they break but show me a car or truck that does not. They usually are way over powered so I would suggest taking some throttle out and run. As you progress than slowly bump the throttle up. To me 4wd is way easier to control. Just my .02 cents
Old 09-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by dravengary
I would say 4wd

Yes they break but show me a car or truck that does not. They usually are way over powered so I would suggest taking some throttle out and run. As you progress than slowly bump the throttle up. To me 4wd is way easier to control. Just my .02 cents
As he stated twice he wants a truck , not a buggy .
Old 09-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

I appreciate all the opinions. So which classes appear to be the most popular? So far it sounds like 2wd buggy-then 2wd Truck- and then 4wd buggy. If this is the case then my next question would be which have more racers, stock or mod (2wd buggy and 2wd truck)? And is there a stock 4WD buggy class?
Old 09-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ESmith
I appreciate all the opinions. So which classes appear to be the most popular? So far it sounds like 2wd buggy-then 2wd Truck- and then 4wd buggy. If this is the case then my next question would be which have more racers, stock or mod (2wd buggy and 2wd truck)? And is there a stock 4WD buggy class?
In my area stadium truck is the most popular , then 2wd buggy , then 4wd buggy . But Slash class is growing to be almost as popular as stadium truck .
Old 09-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Briguy
As he stated twice he wants a truck , not a buggy .
Oh I guess where he said 4WD are fragile in his first post he was talking about some 4WD truck I have never heard of I just said that because they do not break everytime like they use to.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is the slash just going to be like all other forms of racing where it starts out like the real thing then evolves into what we have now? Monster trucks into truggys-Parking lot tourers into High tech carbon machines-and I even see them brushing the top layer of dirt off of the track at an off road event so they can go faster without losing control! I do like the idea of the slash racing. Just hope it doesn't "EVOLVE". Maybe if it keeps growing like I have seen that may be the class to get into instead.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

They are a lot of fun
Old 09-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

In a B44 RCTECH thread there was alot of mention about the B44's breaking the front arms and bending the front shock shafts quite often. Also is there any problems with the spur gear being exposed to the elements?
Old 09-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

Slash class is a spec class so it really can`t change . Has to be stock .

I had a B44 and had those problems as well but the spur had no issues . My next 4wd will be a Schumacher Cat SX .
Old 09-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have always liked the 4WD class ever since I had the Tamiya Hotshot when it come out in the early 80's. I would just like to see the class continue to grow and not fade away like it has in the past. I remember when it evolved into the heavy metal class. The first racing trucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.