Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
returning to 2wd..technology questions (brushless/lipo) >

returning to 2wd..technology questions (brushless/lipo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

returning to 2wd..technology questions (brushless/lipo)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default returning to 2wd..technology questions (brushless/lipo)

so, after being out for 2-3 years, it looks as if my stuff is becoming quickly outdated...

looking to start getting into lipo/brushless setups but have a few questions first as i feel like a noob all over again

whats everybody outtake on the lrp sphere competition? ive always been an lrp fan so im looking at that as it will still work with my nimh packs too. only question, is i havent been able to find a chart or anything that kinda breaks down the brushless turns to the equivalant of brushed turns. any imput? for instance i can handle a 12x2 on my track, but usually race 19t. id like to get a motor equal to a 12 for practice, but would also need something equal to a 19 for racing.

now for lipo's. looking at the orion 5000 platnium2. any benifit to this over others? any benifit to others over this? what should i look for in a lipo pack (other than it fitting)? 2 cells or more? and chargers, i already have 2 pulsars for my nimh packs, and looking at getting a pulsar3 for the lipo packs. or since i already have 2 regular pulsars, would anybody reccomend just getting a muchmore pocket charger?

thanks in advance!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm not real familiar with the brushed-to-brushless conversions. I believe a 27 turn brushed is equal to a 17.5 turn (stock) brushless. 19 turn equals 13.5 super stock. Check your local track for brushless motors used or the ROAR web site.

I believe the Orion LiPo use Kokam cells which have a reputation for being the best. In general, I would be looking for something that is portable (can be used in multiple vehicles), has a C rating that supports your speed control and has the capacity required to support your longest race. I personally use the TrakPower 4900 in my truck and 2wd buggy. Check the ROAR site for approved hard-case batteries.

That said, you can expect to burn ~1000mah+/- in a five minute run and you can use this value to determine what capacity your batteries should have. Most of the LiPos out there will support the current draw from just about any speed control so the C rating is not so important - yet.

Of course, others have other opinions.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

awesome! thank you for your imput! anybody else have any?
Old 09-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default answers

First off, welcome back. The brushless to brushed conversion is still debated on but check with your track as to what they allow in the 19T class. Some tracks like mine have been using 10.5 and some have talked about going to 13.5. As far as mod for buggy go with a 7.5 light and truck use a 6.5. Even these motors are extremely fast. I have seen people run 5.5 in truck and they are normally standing straight up at about halfway down the straightaway. Orion has just released the new 3800 and it has a 30C rating. I have their 3600's at 25C and they are still awesome after almost a full year of racing. We currently race 10 minute mains and I have lots of juice left in the pack when done. This is in my RB5 with 10.5 orion with the LRP speedo.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:39 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

mod 2wd buggy. 'over-motoring' is a cardinal sin. all you do is spin ur tires, make the car harder to drive and keep in control i dont care how good your finger and ur radio settings are, and oh yeh, u'll have a lovely tire bill.

7.5 or 8.5 for most US tracks and their hard groove with dust and dirt on top surface. trust me it was easier to go fast and push hard with a 10.5 in the back then the mamba for example (and i'm talkin bout the supposed 'weak' mamba the 4600. still a buzzsaw lol)

R
Old 10-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Tech Regular

gotta bump! new question: decided on the sphere comp and a fantom ion 10.5 (legal for the "19t" class at my track)...and as stated, i feel like a noob all over again..i know the sensor wire tells the speed control where its at in its revolution, but what is the advantage/disadvantage to running a bigger or smaller sensor wire?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Do you mean the length of the sensor wire? The 200 mm wire is meant for cars with the motor in the back and the 100 mm is for touring cars / 4wd off-road where the motor is close to the speed control. I'm using the 100 mm wire in my B44, so I don't need to coil up a bunch of extra wire.