Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Castle Sidewinder vs LRP A.I. Reverse ESC

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Default Castle Sidewinder vs LRP A.I. Reverse ESC

I use by B4 buggy for bashing. Just mucking about with my son and GF and their Tamiya cars. I recently destroyed my Tekin P12, and need a new ESC.

I'm thinking about going brushless, but don't want to spend mega bucks on a set up right now (i'm in NZ, so our exchange rate makes an esc from the US or HK slightly cheaper than your average mortgage).

SO, the LRP is my first thought because I can use my brushed motors in the meatime until I can get a decent brushless motor. I read some comments that the A.I. is crap. Can anyone elaborate on that?

Option B is the Sidewinder. It's about the cheapest 1/2 decent brushless ESC i've seen. I can just sit on it until I get a decent motor, BUT can they handle something like a 10.5T with sintered rotor?, as I want more than 27T performance.

I'm using Hi-MH cells, and don't plan to change in a hurry.

Any help / advice / experience?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I strongly suggest you get a brushless esc AND motor a the same time becaues you will save money in a long run.

A brushless motor will pay for itself in less than a year becaues it never goes flat or needs brushes and will last as long or longer than 3 or 4 brushed motors.

I think the Sidewinder 5700 system is the best value in RC right now. After some programing my Sidewinder 4600 performs not unlike my $250 Novak GTB and 7.5 velociti motor.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:32 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

The Sidewinder can run brushed motors as well so not a problem. You can get the speedo for about 70 bucks and run brushed til you get a sensorless brushless motor.

Or you can get the Sidewinder 4600 or 5700 combo for right around 130 bucks. Tough to beat the price of this system. No one is making this type of the band for the buck at this price. Castle is really giving the customer so serious power for cheap.

LRP also makes nice products as I have used them in the past and never had any problems.

Either way you can't go wrong.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:52 AM
Tech Master

Hey thanks for that guys. I didn't actually ralise the sidewinder can do brushed motors. I think that may be the go
Old 09-18-2008, 03:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Only problem I have with the AI bullet is sometimes it thinks forward is reverse and reverse is forward so you have to turn it off and back on to reset it. Ran 8T motors no problem..
Old 09-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Well, i've ordered the Sidewinder. Now it jsut has to be put on a plane and sent across a few thousand miles of Pacific Ocean, and land in the B4. Thanks for the input.
I'll post up when i've got it set-up and seen how it works with brushed motor's. I've read mixed reviews....