R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Cost Efficient Soldering Iron (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/243290-cost-efficient-soldering-iron.html)

gfx 09-19-2008 09:55 PM

Cost Efficient Soldering Iron

Can anyone recommend a good but cheap soldering iron?

I don't want to build my own NiMH packs; I just want to solder only one wire on my Novak ESC, so that's why I don't need anything expensive.

I know Radio Shack sells soldering irons, but are these sufficient for my purpose?

Also, what additional things will I need other than solder?

Thanks for any info.

hanzo3 09-19-2008 11:10 PM

Get the hobbico one. You need one that solders at 60W I believe. Tower has it, most HS have the hobbico one. Runs around $10-15. The hakko one is best one and that is the next step at $80.

JeromeK99 09-20-2008 12:55 AM

I use a Sears Craftsman 45watt iron at the trackside... They are only $10... tips are $2.99 and when the iron goes bad in a year.. trade it in!

Jerome :)

gfx 09-20-2008 02:30 AM

Thanks for the info.

As for what else I might need; I read something that talks about using a "braid" to remove the existing solder... what exactly is that? And is there anything else I will need for this minor soldering project?

Mack_Mechanic 09-20-2008 02:59 AM

The "braid" they are talking about is actually solder wick.Here is a link to what I use.http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8775

rc10 ryan 09-20-2008 04:53 AM

soldering iron

Any 6$ cheapo one found at a hardware store works. I just reccomennd cleaning the tip ( i use sandpaper) before every time you solder or just when it gets dirty. Leave any soldering iron plugged in for long enough gets hot.

cracka 09-20-2008 05:02 AM

Radio shack, Sears, Ace Hardware and others sell irons that will easily suit your purpose and cost 20 bucks or less. As long as you get one that's at least 40watts you'll be fine. Do not use sandpaper to clean the tip, wipe it off on a wet sponge or paper towel --- it'll last longer.

Jason Pelletier 09-20-2008 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by hanzo3 (Post 4857344)
Get the hobbico one. You need one that solders at 60W I believe. Tower has it, most HS have the hobbico one. Runs around $10-15.

That ones a piece of Shit i had it. The best one to get is the weller sp40l 40w

http://www.all2ools.com/index.pl/fro...ctid=WLR/SP40L

Have had this for over a year and it works well. That hobbico will ruin your cells the tip sucks.

thecman26 09-20-2008 11:50 AM

Actually most of the "cheap" soldering irons imho are pos.
I have had 4 of the under $40 irons

If you really want one that works look for a good used Hakko on ebay or on here in the for sale page

I got a good (hardly used) Hakko 936 for $45 on ebay and it is amazing to say the least. You can do it all with that staion.

It may cost a lil more but you will be better off! I threw away all 4 of my "cheapo" irons! All 4 together would have bought a BRAND new 936.

Duster_360 09-20-2008 12:48 PM

For some reason, the hobbico irons eat tips. If you go with one of those, buy an extra tip.

JR007 09-20-2008 05:42 PM

Having a good, hot iron is essential for soldering work. At least 40W, and a chisel tip, forget those pointed tips, they don't hold the heat.

If you think it's a waste of money, I just f*cked my Tekin ESC by having a iron that wasn't hot enough, and melted part of my circuit board because I held it on the pole too long. THAT was a lot more than the cost of an iron, believe me :flaming:

desertraton 09-22-2008 07:57 AM

Home Depot has one under 20 bucks (Weller) and comes with a chisel tip. I see alot of racers using them.

eps5 09-22-2008 08:11 AM

To echo the others here:

40W+
Chisel Tip

I use a 40W Weller Soldering Station for wiring and an 80W Mastercraft (Canadian Tire) for batteries. The 15W sharp-tipped pen-style soldering irons are useless.

Wes Briscoe 09-22-2008 10:26 AM

Spend $80 on the Hakko. It's cost effective and efficient as you'll never buy another soldering iron again. ...and it's only $80.

OTE_TheMissile 09-22-2008 10:35 AM

I agree the little $8 Hobbico irons are pretty cheesy...but, they're $8. They come with 2 tips, and if you take decent care of them they'll get you through a ton of joints before they both erode away. Usually by that time the iron itself is so corroded from the heat the tip won't even come out. But I'm also reasonably satisfied in saying I got my 8 bucks worth out of it, toss the whole thing in the garbage and buy another one.

Now, if you're one of these guys that hardwires everything and is using a soldering iron nonstop, then I could see spending the money on a Hakko. But for a guy like me that has connectors on all his batteries and only pulls a motor out when it needs to be worked on, the little Hobbicos work just fine. :nod:

Just my $0.02