Search

getting a t4. need help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eldivad1
so... it'll work well?

Yea just zero out the dials to the way the esc manual suggests when setting the esc.

I mean it's fm. Not bad i used it to race nitro touring cars years ago when i was on a gangsta budget.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Tech Initiate

oh and i don't need a high performance servo will i? a good ol' 20-30 dollar servo will do?
Old 09-19-2008, 06:26 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kdeselms
You're going to want a spread spectrum radio if you're racing. It only took me one weekend where I had radio conflicts with some nitro guy tuning up his car during my race, for me to upgrade to SS. I have a Futaba 3pm which ran me $190 or so, with one receiver (if memory serves).
All rookies say that.
Few real racers do.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eldivad1
oh and i don't need a high performance servo will i? a good ol' 20-30 dollar servo will do?

Actually a fast servo is important, PM Crazy Carl he is a friend of mine and could prolly sell you a nice used high quality servo. He is a very experienced r/c'r and a adult so have no doubts. I know he had a couple servos he wanted to get rid of.

Then down the road if you stick with racing go get yourself a nice radio.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Something else to consider is that many tracks do not allow sensorless brushless systems due to Roar has not approved them .
Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Initiate

whats a good pinion and spur gear to go with a 17.5 turn brushless motor on the t4? some good combos?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cracka
All rookies say that.
Few real racers do.
Okay, stud. You tell me how a "real racer" handles his car not coming off the throttle in a turn when he pulls his finger off the trigger, plows into a wall and breaks a front a-arm, because another driver in the pits is trying to start his engine? (He'd later apologize and buy me a new one, though...thanks!)

Last edited by kdeselms; 09-19-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

You should pick up several sets of pinions, so you have a nice range to go with for changing track conditions. Gearing will be quite track specific.

As for the radio, to start with, I don't personally see a problem as long as you do have more than one crystal set. If you need to buy crystals, you might as well just buy a spektrum based setup and be done with it. You actually can find them used for a good price nowadays. A 2 channel DX2.0 should work well for electric.

As for the servo, on a T4, I would look for specs along these lines:

100oz of Torque minimum
.15sec transit time
(make sure its at or close to this for the voltage you will put to them)

this should feel decent. Is it super twitchy fast? no, but thats not always a good thing either. Main thing is that the servo has enough grunt to turn the wheels, and the speed feels consistent yet not slow. I ran .15 sec on my MTs for awhile and had no complaints. For mod classes like 4wd electric buggy, that is when I went with a faster servo, sub .10 range.

Keep in mind also that the ESC you get will in general determine how much voltage your servo will see through its BEC. You usually want to get as close to or at 6V BEC if possible so you get what is usually the max voltage input for the servo. More voltage, more speed, and more torque. Alot of cheaper ESCs only do 5V. I think the AE AI's do 5.5V which isn't bad.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Initiate

alright, but whats a good gearing set up to start with with the 17.5 motor that's pretty universal and that i can make adjustments from there
Old 09-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default 17.5 gearing

17.5 have been geared wayyyy up. I saw a guy who ran 28-30 pinion and a 65 spur and the motor was 150-165*. That was in a b4 though so you would gear it below that 2-3 teeth maybe, probably nothing less than that
Old 09-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm running a Losi truck with a 78t spur and 30t pinion. Not sure what the FDR is. Truck comes off the track at ~180 (I know I'm probably pushing the motor harder than I need to).
Old 09-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Talking

sweet, picked up the factory team t4 today for 200 bucks from ultimate hobbies going to start setting it up and then my motor, esc and stuff should be coming in the mail on tuesday, then i'll be ready to hit the ocrc raceway next week.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bprocket
I'm running a Losi truck with a 78t spur and 30t pinion. Not sure what the FDR is. Truck comes off the track at ~180 (I know I'm probably pushing the motor harder than I need to).
What gearing would cool the motor down?
Old 09-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Lower than what he is running for sure. For the track you are going to run at, I would ask around as far as gearing goes to get an idea of what kind of pinions to pick up.

what all did you decide to go with for electronics?
Old 09-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kdeselms
Okay, stud. You tell me how a "real racer" handles his car not coming off the throttle in a turn when he pulls his finger off the trigger, plows into a wall and breaks a front a-arm, because another driver in the pits is trying to start his engine? (He'd later apologize and buy me a new one, though...thanks!)
OK rook, count how many spread spectrum radio systems are used by a-main competitors at the worlds? None, could it be because the response time is slow? Could it be that any reputable track has a radio impound during races? Could it be because the technology isn't as foolproof as rookies want to say it is? Or maybe you haven't noticed that most cordless phones are using the same 2.4ghz technology?
That enough reason for ya?
LOL

Oh, and regarding your blog --- funny stuff --- there is a huge difference between carbon, carbon fiber, and graphite parts. I suggest you learn what they are and the difference between them so you don't sound so bush league.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.