Wiki Posts
Search

Flat Tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Flat Tire

I have a Jammin CRT.5 converted to brushless. The little truggy is fast, handles well and is one of my favorites. I normally run the stock wheels/Crime Figther combo. After a few weeks I noticed the tires felt a little flat, like there was no foam in the tire. So after the tires wore out I cut one bead and opened the tire up and the foam was in really bad shape. One reason to use good foams in your tires, the wheels/tires had about 5 or 6 days of hard racing/practice on them, and they started feeling soft after the 4th day.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ya... if you are going to be using tires for several weeks.. good foams do help..

Looks like to me that those foams may have gotten wet from cleaning the tires and then dried out... that will break up the foam pretty fast..

Be careful not to dunk the tires in water if possible. There are holes in rims and usually the bead is not water tight.

Good luck!

Jerome
Old 09-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

How do you clean your wheels/tires without getting water on the rim?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shark413
if u do put them in water then put holes in the tire so that the water can come out
Old 09-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Dunk a scrub brush in the water/soap mixture and scrub the tires.. then rinse them off.. don't dunk the tire in the water...

Holes in the rims will still allow water in.. the water and then slowly drying is what makes the foams shrink and fall apart faster.

If you must dunk them.. be quick about it and definitely don't squeeze them underwater.. that will just suck in more liquid!

Jerome
Old 09-19-2008, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
Dunk a scrub brush in the water/soap mixture and scrub the tires.. then rinse them off.. don't dunk the tire in the water...

Holes in the rims will still allow water in.. the water and then slowly drying is what makes the foams shrink and fall apart faster.

If you must dunk them.. be quick about it and definitely don't squeeze them underwater.. that will just suck in more liquid!

Jerome
the hole in the tire is so water can come out,like when u hit the gas the tires expand when water in the tire the water will come out i did this on every tire and i did it on one set that i didnt do it to and the foams where gone in 3 weeks the foam thats in the tire w/the holes
they r still firm
Old 09-19-2008, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by porkey
the hole in the tire is so water can come out,like when u hit the gas the tires expand when water in the tire the water will come out i did this on every tire and i did it on one set that i didnt do it to and the foams where gone in 3 weeks the foam thats in the tire w/the holes
they r still firm
It is funny how wrong you are, yet you give advice like you know what you are talking about.

Holes are put in the rims to allow air to escape, not water. You should not be dunking your tires in water.

Last edited by SQC049; 09-19-2008 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SQC049
It is funny how wrong you are, yet you give advise like you know what you are talking about.

Holes are put in the rims to allow air to escape, not water. You should not be dunking your tires in water.
don't you know he's a self-professed RC guru and master of the universe? LOL

Last edited by cracka; 09-19-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shark413
I glue a brush to the bottom of plastic tub and fill the tub up to the tip of the brush . Then rub the tires on the brush and wipe them down with a towel all clean with no water inside the tires . Not only are you saving your foams when not dunking them but you also are putting your wheels out of balance when the foams get wet .
Old 09-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It is funny how wrong you are, yet you give advice like you know what you are talking about.

Your both right.. He is talking about puting a hole in the TIRE. I have seen alot of people do this to get the dirt that comes in the air hole in the Rim/wheel out. . So I see how it would also work in a way to let water out. Its funny how you Criticized his comment without reading and understanding, that hes talking about a hole in a different place than what you were. I don't think anyone should be dunking tires in water, but its a useful tip for the people with the waterproof cars out there...
Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MajorPede
Your both right.. He is talking about puting a hole in the TIRE. I have seen alot of people do this to get the dirt that comes in the air hole in the Rim/wheel out. . So I see how it would also work in a way to let water out. Its funny how you Criticized his comment without reading and understanding, that hes talking about a hole in a different place than what you were. I don't think anyone should be dunking tires in water, but its a useful tip for the people with the waterproof cars out there...
Why bother correcting or chastising him if you are wrong.
He was making reference to the first poster who obviously had allowed dirt to get inside his tires, regardless of how it got there, that wore away his foams. And the easiest way for that to happen, other than not gluing the tires on properly, is by having holes cut in the tires.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by cracka
Why bother correcting or chastising him if you are wrong.
He was making reference to the first poster who obviously had allowed dirt to get inside his tires, regardless of how it got there, that wore away his foams. And the easiest way for that to happen, other than not gluing the tires on properly, is by having holes cut in the tires.

Check this out. If you drill a whole in the inside of your rim. (as I and most of us do) You get dirt in the inside of your tire.

If you put a second whole in the Tire, as I and alot of other racers have done. It trows alot of the dirt back out. Thats why I can agree with Mr Porkey about the water getting back out through the tire hole.

You must have miss this post to think he was not talking to Mr Porkey. Mr Porkey clearly describes placing the hole in the tire, and in Mr SQC049 statement he says
"Holes are put in the rims to allow air to escape, not water" clearly not talking about the same whole as Mr Porkey, but telling him he was giving bad advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkey [View]

they r still firm

SQC049 said...

Last edited by MajorPede; 09-19-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

i didnt say put holes in the rims put holes in the tires
it has been proven to do this if u put your tires in water
put them on hit the gas in tell all the water comes out
your foams will be fine they wont get moldy if u do
b/c the water can escape
Old 09-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cracka
don't you know he's a self-professed RC guru and master of the universe? LOL
no i dont i just say what i heard and what i have read!
Old 09-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Hmm.. well.. water in tires w/foam = bad....

you get nasty mildew... tires out of balance... foams breakup and shrink..

Holes in tires.. rims.. whatever.. fine.. but water is still bad..

Just don't dunk tires... fixes the problem.

Jerome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.