Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Which of these cars would you recommend: n00b here! >

Which of these cars would you recommend: n00b here!

Which of these cars would you recommend: n00b here!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Which of these cars would you recommend: n00b here!

Hey Guys,

I am just getting the rc bug. I had an old tamiya fox, but shreded the gears, and think I will retire it in the hope they re-release the model and I can then get parts easily.

So I want to replace it. I mainly want it to drive and have a bit of speed. Am currently considering:

1. An old Tamiya Hot Shot (1985), with hop ups + nice motor, etc.

2. HSP XSTR 4wd (New).

Could anyone give there opinion on which of these cars is likley to be better.

Would appreciate the suggestions,

Thanks
Old 08-30-2008, 03:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Neither of the two. You have to look at it from a parts support perspective. You'd be doing yourself a favor if you bought a car that had parts support from your local hobby shop. Didn't you experience this with your Tamiya Fox? Well, the same thing is going to happen if you pick a car that is plagued with the same problem...

If you want a budget 4wd, you can get an XB Tamiya Dark Impact, or better yet, get an AE B4 RS RTR, you'll have everything you need, and a car that's probably the most popular in its class...

Just my two cents...
Old 08-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
Neither of the two. You have to look at it from a parts support perspective. You'd be doing yourself a favor if you bought a car that had parts support from your local hobby shop. Didn't you experience this with your Tamiya Fox? Well, the same thing is going to happen if you pick a car that is plagued with the same problem...

If you want a budget 4wd, you can get an XB Tamiya Dark Impact, or better yet, get an AE B4 RS RTR, you'll have everything you need, and a car that's probably the most popular in its class...

Just my two cents...
I would agree... except if you do not want to worry about parts at all - go w/ the 501x, it does not break. I have more than a 100 runs and almost 20 FULL nights of racing and had one broken arm (a freak accident that would claim most cars chassis'). A fellow owner has yet to break a single thing with about the same use. Sure you could argue parts availibility, but who needs parts when you don't break anything. Commence the tired, old discussion of "which is best"... but for durability - Tamiya 501x. Expensive up front, cheapest in the long run! Out of all the factors that make up a great car, durability is the one tainted the least by personal opinion - it either holds together or not. BTW, I am a pretty bad driver... this thing should have exploded into a pile of toy parts three times over by now.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey Guys,

Thanks for this advice. I will have a good look at these models.

Am currently trying to get a fair bit cheaper than a hobby store by using ebay, but yeah, I can see that availibility of parts should be a pretty big consideration.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

If you can buy stuff online on ebay some good cars at good prices to take a look at are the Duratrax Evader and the Associated T4. You can buy the Evader EXT RTR on rcuniverse.com for $79. Be sure to chechk the for sale threads here on rctech too, you can find some good deals. Do you have a price limit?

Here is the link to the Evader EXT: http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=425641

You can get parts for the duratrax and associated cars on towerhobbies.com
Old 08-31-2008, 04:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Crazy4wdRacer,

Yeah, It would be nice to get in at not much over $100. Am also in Australia, so some of the postage costs can add up if I don't find the right place.

I can understand this sort of money wont get into the sort of cars alot of you guys are into. I guess I'm thinking this one will test my interest level for a few months to see if I can justify moving into the more expensive models.

Am just hoping for 4wd, digital proportional and a proper 7.2V battery and 540 motor as a interum car.

The Evader looked nice but would prefer 4wd if I can find it.

That Dark impact also looks pretty cool, and the kit may not be too much of a stretch on the budget, if I can find somewhere to cut on the postage to Australia, as I have bettery and controller (from the fox) so would probably just need servos and crystal. Would perfer pre-assembled but having to build it would not be a deal breaker.

In this budget, the sort of thing I am seeing that may satisfy the criteria is a Tamiya Baja King kit or that HSP XSTR on ebay. Unfortunaley the bidding ended up going pretty crazy on the hot shot (I should have guessed, durr).

Will definetly have a look at how cheap I can get a dark impact though as they do look cool.

Thanks for being so helpful guys, this stuff is confusing when your starting out.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have heard alot of good things about the Tamiya Dark Impact. I have also heard of people putting low turn brushless systems in them with no problems either so that mean tht the driveline is tough. The only downfall to the Dark Impact in my opinion is that it will only take stick battery packs so you could probably not run lipo in it. Do you have an MSC or ESC in your Fox? You will need an ESC for the Dark Impact.