Wiki Posts
Search

Budget Stick Packs

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Budget Stick Packs

Are these Team Orion Rocket Packs any good?

http://www.amazon.com/3300-Rocket-Pa...00853&sr=1-142

How about these LRP Cheapos?:

http://www.amazon.com/Hyper-Pack-Cel...300516&sr=1-69

Also, I saw this monstrous 5000mAH Trinity Reference Packs, are they any good?

http://www.amazon.com/5000-mAh-NiMH-...300995&sr=1-77
Old 08-21-2008, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You have them listed in order from bad to best. They'd all work fine running in a low power vehicle and deliver long run time. Running them in a heavy / fast vehicle or trying to discharge them in 5-6 minutes will start to show problems with heat.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

There is nothing wrong with either of those packs , but if you plan on racing in 19 turn or mod class they will really heat up and cause problems . Orion has always made good packs , not sure why gulio says they are the worst . For stock class I`d go with either the Orion or Trinity packs . For a few more dollars you can get some descent matched side X side batteries .
Old 08-21-2008, 05:23 AM
Tech Regular

Or buy some "used" matched pack from pro racer.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the insights guys. The reason why I ask is because I have a $25 gift certificate from Amazon, so I have to spend it on that...

The reason why I'm going for a stick pack is because I'm planning on running the tamiya DF-03 and not sure if it'll accept side-by-side packs... I currently have some good GP saddle packs for my B44, but I don't want to use any of those for my DF-03 since my B44 is my dedicated racing machine...

On the subject of cheapo packs, stay away from EPIC packs. I bought three 3000mAH cheapo packs at Hobby People a few years back, and NONE of them worked. I believe they each had at least one dead and possibly more on one of them (certain cells were hotter then the next)...

EPIC makes good brushed motors, but their battery is atrocious... I've always liked Team Orions (which is where my GP cells are from). Team Orion has only let me down once, which was their Sanyo-based cells (Sanyo is awesome in NiCd, but their NiMH is pure utter crap)...

I went ahead and bought the Team Orion 3300 Rocket Packs, if my DF-03 can accept side-by-sides, I'm going to tear the pack up and buy some battery bars to reconfigure them... I heard that the Trinitys use paper-wrapped cells inside, it was just an aesthetic issue...
Old 08-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

the df-03 will take side by side packs...but you might want to get a losi battery spacer foam to keep the pack from moving around.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

do yourself a favor and score some SxSs so u can discharge them in a tray properly and get the best from them. granted i'm sure u could go lipo and leave all your worries behind

R
Old 08-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, I'll probably convert them to side by side, I do use the equalizer on my other saddle packs... The only thing I'm worried about is exposing the contacts for the 3Racing DF-03 graphite chassis. Probably will have to run some Kapton tape on the inside of the battery bay of the chassis to mitigate shorting...

About the cushion after the batts gets converted to side by side, that can be a good tuning option to bias the weight forward or backwards (or possibly even if saddled)...

Thanks guys!

Oh yeah, btw, the price on these packs are not bad, 6 cells for 25 bucks. With the gift certificate, it came out roughly 13 bucks each (minus shipping).

Of course, GP is selling direct on Amazon also, their 3300mAH cells for $5.50 each...

Regarding the GPs, what is the difference between the cells wrapped with the hot red shrink wrap versus their gold/green shrink wrap? Do these cells have different specs (given the same capacity)?