Search

Hotbodies D8Te Truggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default Hotbodies D8Te Truggy Thread

Hello Everyone,

I have recently acquired a D8T and plan to convert it. I found it very difficult to find any information on RCT regarding this truggy in an e-convert.

The first order of business I had was obtaining a conversion kit or piecing it together. But what to get? --- Below is another post I threw out there in the forums last night just to help out in my decision. I figure I'll kick off this threat with step one >>>> Conversion Decision.

At this point (05/22/2012) I'm finding the average price on a used D8T is around $200.00. Some people want more -- but $200 is virtually where it should be with at least a few extras being spare parts / hop ups.

Here's the conversion research:

Ok -- I bought a really nice D8t and I want to convert it.

Here's what I got to do the conversion with. Do I have everything correct? I've attempted to pull the research from all sources to come up with this.

Battery Tray - HPI Vorza Flux Tray:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Set-w-Straps

Elite Motor Mount fitting D8, D8T, & Vorza:

http://elitercd.com/images/M_images/D8/ercd8.jpg

ESC Tray: >> Vorza Flux

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...I-ESC-Tray-Set

Receiver Box: HPI Vorza Flux >>

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Radio-Box-Set

Now, with all of these listed I've read that this SHOULD all work on my electric conversion on the existing stock D8T chassis.

Is this all correct? -- and if so >>> I can't see why this is considered so much cheaper than the Tekno v4 Conversion. All that you see above is a total of 103.99 without including $5.00 shipping from EliteRCD for the elite mount and Amain of around $10 bucks. Add that in we're at $118.99.

For $134.99 + $10 in shipping the Tekno v4 Conversion kit offers:

Hard Anodized CNC Machined 7075 Aluminum Chassis
Black Anodized CNC Machined 6061 Aluminum Motor Mount (42mm, for Castle, Tekin)
Hardened Steel Front and Rear Center Driveshafts
Battery Tray
Battery Straps
Receiver Box
ESC Tray
Mud Guards
Servo Mounts
Transponder Mount
Truggy kits include rear chassis brace and longer battery tray.

For only $26.00 more it looks like I get a chassis, Mud guards, Transponder mount, and hardened steel drive shafts.

Set back appears not having the EliteRCD mount. I'm a huge fan of those mounts so that kind of stinks, but I had a tekno v4 conversion in my Losi 2.0t(e) and it was very nice.

It almost seems I have talked myself into purchasing the Tekno conversion kit .

I'm puzzled why people are saying purchasing all the vorza parts separately with the Elite RCD mount is so much more cost effective. The numbers clearly show it's not.

Here's the RC Monster -- Cheaper than the pieced out Vorza parts with Elite RCD mount: $100 bucks.

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcmd8kit

Here's also a little thread I found with someone asking the very same question which conversion kit is the way to go. Post #3 isn't the only one that says the pieced together conversion is cheapest --- blah
Old 05-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Suspended

I will be posting pics of the transformation over the next few weeks from Nitro to Electric. Stay tuned!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Subscribed. I've been thinking of doing the same thing: buying a used D8T roller and converting it to electric.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Subscribed also, I just put together a D8Te with the RC Monster kit. Very nice quality components, the radio box and the battery tray/esc mount are a thing of beauty.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Suspended

post up some pics when you get around to it
Old 05-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am waiting on my Tekno kit to arrive any day now. I will post up pics etc when I get going on it.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Will do.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

yeah i got my serpent truggy with the rcm conversion kit cant wait to try it out
Old 05-31-2012, 03:36 AM
Suspended

I went this route with the D8T because I own a Vorza (practically modded out to a straight D8 modded) so I will have 2 cars in the same family with parts.... But also because my Vorza has been putting a straight smack down at the track. It's also tough as nails. I haven't broken a thing in two race days so far and I've been TQ and winner of A-mains both days.

I'm projecting the D8T will be tough as nails as well.

btw ... For you guys doing the RCM conversion... I went the tekno route and I have a brand new D8T chassis NIP up for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Suspended

I know it's been a while, but figured I'd kick start this thread again....

The construction of my D8T conversion begins next week! I will finally have all the items I need to get this project underway....
Old 07-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Beenr runnin my rcm conversion for months now....luv it
Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Suspended

I think we'll have some interesting comparisons. I'm running a Tekno (or will be)
Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Whenever a track big enough opens locally I'm going to pick up a used D8T and convert it with a Tekno setup. By the time a track opens they will probably be on the v5 conversions lol.

$350 for a Tekno D8Te is just such a good deal.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I snagged a used D8T last year and went with the Tekno conversion. It was impressive quality and offers good weight distribution. Unfortunately I'm having electronics issues so haven't made a full race with it yet, but appears to be a good conversion.
I like the Tekno kit because it replaces the weak steel HPI driveshafts, has a platform for the ESC to help absorb shock and the battery tray accomodates 2 2s packs with ease. Also has 3 battery straps, one lengthwise so nothing moves.
You do need to flip the diffs to accomodate the motor rotation.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RC Dad
I snagged a used D8T last year and went with the Tekno conversion. It was impressive quality and offers good weight distribution. Unfortunately I'm having electronics issues so haven't made a full race with it yet, but appears to be a good conversion.
I like the Tekno kit because it replaces the weak steel HPI driveshafts, has a platform for the ESC to help absorb shock and the battery tray accomodates 2 2s packs with ease. Also has 3 battery straps, one lengthwise so nothing moves.
You do need to flip the diffs to accomodate the motor rotation.

Quick question regarding the packs ---

Will Gens Ace packs fit? I found I had a problem with the connectors, being in the location they are, not allowing the packs to fit side by side, so you have to stack them. i was attempting to do this in my Vorza Flux, but the stacking made them too high and the body wouldn't fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.