Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Help with Blackfoot >

Help with Blackfoot

Help with Blackfoot

Old 08-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Help with Blackfoot

Having a problem with my blackfoot. When I gun the throttle the car starts off slow then takes off. Is this a speed control issue (i have a mechanical one stock) or someone told me its my motor that is causing the problem. Its a pirana motor 17 turn. If it IS the motor can someone suggest a good motor to put in this? oh.. and would I need a stronger battery? Thanks
Old 08-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Most likely the mechanical speed control , buy yourself an electronic speed control . It will be a lot better then what you have . Could be both also , have you cleaned the motor ? Put new brushes in it ? Cut the comm ?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There's a good chance that the speed control and motor are both contributing factors to your problem. Mechanical speed controls are pretty old technology and are fairly inexpensive which also means unfortunately, they probably won't last for very long. Motors require regular maintenance and if they are not maintained properly( cleaned out with motor spray, inspect comm, etc..) they do not last very long and will have poor performance. I'm not familiar with that particular motor but an upgrade would be a good idea for both it and the speed control. If it's just for bashing I would recommend something like a cheaper LRP Ai assuming you do not plan on running mod motors. For a stock motor I ran the TRINITY cobalt stock and liked it very much, just make sure you keep the motor clean and running good.
You would not NEED better batteries for this setup but they most likely would make a difference in perforrmance. hope that was helpful
Old 08-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mechanical speed controls also need the contacts cleaned every once-in-awhile. Also check the trim to make sure the throttle throw is correct.

You could probably spend like, $20-30 on a really good Electronic Speed Control on ebay for something a little older, but 100x better than the mechanical one... Look for something like a Novak Tempest or Cyclone for forward only and brakes.. Look for a Novak Rooster if you want reverse.

Good luck!

Jerome
Old 08-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have a real nice used GT7 speed control for 40 USD shipped. PM me if interested. Novak GT7 with inline schottky diode module. In original box with instructions.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:21 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

just go score a cheap intellispeed or futaba 230 and have fun w/that great old truck (have an original up on my office shelf i can look at right now). gotta love that 1st RC. i stuck a MC111b futaba (think), its period to the truck when i raced it, but far more useful if i wanna run it around to get the dust off. far better than a servo w/wiper and those lovely green resistors. the days of yore.

any1 else get a good vibe thinkin back to the day u 1st got an 'electronic speed control'. guess that 1 is only for the moldy oldies in here.

R

DAMN- i just noticed ur in CT, go run it at the vintage nationals in 2-3wks (sept 6th wkend i think)!!!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the advice. What I did was took the advice and put the stock motor back in and it worked fine. A Little slower than it use to be but fine. Then I took the motor I was having problems with and took it apart (what a chore that was since I have never done it). I cleaned it out and put it in and MUCH better. Now I want to find a REAL good motor (inexpensive for I dont race). I did end up getting a Dynamite Tazer 15T Forward & Reverse Proportional ESC on Evil Bay for $30. I hope this is a good one. I will take a pic of my OLD school truck tonight and post it .
Old 08-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sambora68
Thanks for all the advice. What I did was took the advice and put the stock motor back in and it worked fine. A Little slower than it use to be but fine. Then I took the motor I was having problems with and took it apart (what a chore that was since I have never done it). I cleaned it out and put it in and MUCH better. Now I want to find a REAL good motor (inexpensive for I dont race). I did end up getting a Dynamite Tazer 15T Forward & Reverse Proportional ESC on Evil Bay for $30. I hope this is a good one. I will take a pic of my OLD school truck tonight and post it .
A brushless system will really be worth it's extra cost, you only have to clean it once in a while and other than that should never have to touch it. Look into something like the mamba sidewinder series, I think they go for about $120 with speed control and motor, get the lowest kv motor they have for that truck so you don't blow the transmission apart, it will be faster than what you have now and probably get you a bit better runtimes from your batteries.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Suspended

Location: r.i.p Chiquita - 1993-2008 - "best dog in the world"

Originally Posted by sambora68

i tend to think you'll be much happier with whatever motor choice you settle on, even if its your old pirana, as they ESC you nabbed is a lot more proportional than that stock tamaiya mechanical one which really only has I think three forward or reverse settings - off, med, and wide open. while okay with a stock motor they really show their shortcomings with faster motors.

good lcuk
Old 08-19-2008, 07:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MikeXray
A brushless system will really be worth it's extra cost, you only have to clean it once in a while and other than that should never have to touch it. Look into something like the mamba sidewinder series, I think they go for about $120 with speed control and motor, get the lowest kv motor they have for that truck so you don't blow the transmission apart, it will be faster than what you have now and probably get you a bit better runtimes from your batteries.
Could you suggest a good brushless AND regular motor for this truck? I dont know what kv is and I dont want to blow out the gears in the trans. I will seach for one and see whats in the budget. Im running smaller tires that give it some bite. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Suspended

Location: r.i.p Chiquita - 1993-2008 - "best dog in the world"

i'd personally really be wary of putting too much motor as those gearboxes were notorious for going through gears when amping up the power to them. my advice would be to stick with the stocker or go with a quality stock 27T open endbell motor, otherwise you might be doing regular rebuilds