Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "How much is My Car worth thread"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Show it with a body on. Preferrably with flames...
Old 08-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING
I'm haveing trouble selling this and I'm not sure why.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ler-parts.html
1 - your sigline is longer than your posts

2 - it's getting toward the end out the outdoor season in much of the country, and people typically buy offroad cars at the beginning of the season

3 - it took until your third post in the thread to list a price

4 - there's no explanation of how hold it is. is it well used, a beater that's just cleaned up, or nearly new with only a few runs on it?

5 - while the extra parts may attract a buyer, they don't neccessarily increase the car's value.

6 - used cars "should" start at somewhere around 50% of what they cost new, otherwise people can rationalize to themselves "why buy his used car when I can get a new one for a few bucks more"
Old 08-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1crazywhiteboy
If this has already been done, which i bet it has, but i could not find it- Please just delete or let die, and please direct me to the other thread. Thanks.

I have a RC18t All alluminum ETC MAMBA'd OUT... really nice, looking for how much its worth.
sorry to say it, but you've killed the potential selling value with it's filthy appearance. it really looks beat, thrashed, and well used.
used cars "should" start at somewhere around 50% of what they cost new, otherwise people can rationalize to themselves "why buy his used car when I can get a new one for a few bucks more." while the alloy pieces are cool to you they don't really add any value unless they're brand new. used electronics, mamba or whatever, unless almost new (1 or 2 runs) also have a hard time increasing the value since the car can be bought RTR.

in its current condition 50-bucks, maybe
Old 08-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

While we're on the subject, how do you usually price a pretty custom truck? I am thinking about selling a converted electric Revo. Its value probably goes down because of the new E-Revo unfortunately I am assuming. But it has been taken care of great with all mounts for electronics. Also has sway bars, wing and wing mount, RPM arms and hibs all around, 40 series bowtie tires/wheels, Tekno receiver box, ESC mount and battery tray, and RC-Monster motor mount. The only scratches are on the skid plates on the bottom. It would be sold as a roller as well. I was thinking around $250... what do you guys think?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by szakcajaru
1 - your sigline is longer than your posts

2 - it's getting toward the end out the outdoor season in much of the country, and people typically buy offroad cars at the beginning of the season

3 - it took until your third post in the thread to list a price

4 - there's no explanation of how hold it is. is it well used, a beater that's just cleaned up, or nearly new with only a few runs on it?

5 - while the extra parts may attract a buyer, they don't neccessarily increase the car's value.

6 - used cars "should" start at somewhere around 50% of what they cost new, otherwise people can rationalize to themselves "why buy his used car when I can get a new one for a few bucks more"
Dang your good.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jnev
While we're on the subject, how do you usually price a pretty custom truck? I am thinking about selling a converted electric Revo. Its value probably goes down because of the new E-Revo unfortunately I am assuming. But it has been taken care of great with all mounts for electronics. Also has sway bars, wing and wing mount, RPM arms and hibs all around, 40 series bowtie tires/wheels, Tekno receiver box, ESC mount and battery tray, and RC-Monster motor mount. The only scratches are on the skid plates on the bottom. It would be sold as a roller as well. I was thinking around $250... what do you guys think?
Sounds good, I don't know much about the cost of one but be sure to show off the high points like the lower side of the chassis. When you don't see any brag shots on a kit it looks bad. Better to show it off than to have some one ask for it. Consider every shot you would want to see if you were to spend your last hard earned dollar on it for your self.
It can help you get closer to what its worth. If you can leave a hint of negotiable in your post about the cost helps to get conversation started. Always good to be sure of your bottom dollar when OBO is posted or price negotiable.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the tips... really appreciate it.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Tech Lord

Thanks for the tips... really appreciate it.
Hope it sells fast and for what its worth. This is turning into an appraisal shop.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:08 AM
Suspended

1 - the big problem with selling a custom RC car or truck is the same prolme you have selling a real 1:1 custom car. You have to find a buyer that wants your truck.

2 - since it's used, again factor in somewhere about 50% of what you have invested in it. only you know how much that is, and be willing to accept less since they do now make the e-revo

3 - tires, unless they're brand new, add nothing to the price of an RC. almost every RC on the market comes with tires, and so should yours if you want to sell it.

4 - other tips to keep in mind when selling used: never assume people will be willing to pay for your custom paint job, it might be custom or look cool to you but it usually isn't to other people's taste; upgrade pieces usually aren't selling points and seldom if ever attract buyers, and shouldn't be used to increase the asking price but instead to lure a potential buyer because yours is a better value.

5 - remember that besides the fact that the exact same thing is being sold in local or online hobby shops there are at any given time dozens of other people trying to sell their own RC that is about the same thing as yours too, your car or truck ain't that special, so lower your perspective and remember that you're the one wanting to actually sell. otherwise it's going to remain sitting on your shelf
Old 08-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

When building a custom, be sure to keep all those stock parts. When it comes time to sell it, put the vehicle back to stock and sell it. Then sell all the custom parts separate.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Haha, wow I didn't think this would take off! Yeah, i just wanted to post up a few pics of my truck.... I have a ton more pics of it in my b/s/t thread... I just didn't clean it up too much... i guess i could, if you see it dirty i figure you can picture it clean
Old 08-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 1crazywhiteboy
Haha, wow I didn't think this would take off! Yeah, i just wanted to post up a few pics of my truck.... I have a ton more pics of it in my b/s/t thread... I just didn't clean it up too much... i guess i could, if you see it dirty i figure you can picture it clean
That's kinda like trying to picture an ugly girl as pretty. Might need a six pack.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Suspended

Location: r.i.p Chiquita - 1993-2008 - "best dog in the world"

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
That's kinda like trying to picture an ugly girl as pretty. Might need a six pack.

yuppers, it's why you don't see mud-encrusted and dirty cars on the sales lot
Old 08-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Here is a good link:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...ubook-home.cfm