R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
cm367700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: carrollton, TX
Posts: 484
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cm367700
Lightbulb how to build a rock crawler

i just got a slash and built an obstacle course and started to get intrested in crawling. but how can i build a cheap crawler? im gonna get a stampede roller and use the tranny but i heard you can build a crawler with a metal rod. if you have any pics of your homemade crawler please post
__________________
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
("')_("') your signature to help him gain world domination!!!!!!!
JUST DO IT!
cm367700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 872
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

The cheapest crawler is probably the Axial AX-10, or probably the new losi crawler. If you want to build a total custom one yourself, you are going to need axles. In my opinion, the best axles are the TLT and Axial axles for 1/10 scale because if you ever decide to upgrade, there are lots of parts to get for it. You can get a set of used axles for about $100.

If you want to have the best axles right off the bat, don't buy any kit. Buy either the TLT or Axial axle halves, then buy upgraded MIP driveshafts, high clearance axle C's, max turn radius knuckles, and copper alloy gears.
__________________
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Mack_Mechanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cole Camp,Missouri
Posts: 227
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Here is the best site for rock crawling.All the info you will ever need. www.rccrawler.com
Mack_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
Tech Champion
 
BuggyKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 7,920
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

It depends cause crawlers can get $$. Just depends on how far u get into them. MIne I have quite a bit invested.
__________________
Our government is a #$%$ joke, from the head jester on down
RIP Mike M
BuggyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
Tech Addict
 
Metla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 627
Default

Wheelie King.

Lock the diffs, remove the rear brace, drop some weight into the front end....

Cheap as chips.

If you want to go further there is various kits to increase the wheelbase and you can drop in a super slow motor and mount some crawler wheels and tires.

Still cheap as, Sure it wont be competition grade but if thats what your looking for then be prepared to spend some cold hard cash.
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:08 AM   #6
Tech Adept
 
Mack_Mechanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cole Camp,Missouri
Posts: 227
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyKing View Post
It depends cause crawlers can get $$. Just depends on how far u get into them. MIne I have quite a bit invested.
x2,I just sunk about $700 in my last comp rig!
Mack_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:29 AM   #7
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 265
Default

How fast can comp crawlers go in a straight? Like top speed.
shurcooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
Tech Adept
 
Mack_Mechanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cole Camp,Missouri
Posts: 227
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
How fast can comp crawlers go in a straight? Like top speed.
depends on your motor and gearing.But on average I would say maybe 5-10 mph tops.They are not straight line beasts,low gears and torque are key in crawling.You could build a rock racer and get alittle more speed than a dedicated crawler but you would sacrifice some crawling ability.
Mack_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
Tech Regular
 
cm367700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: carrollton, TX
Posts: 484
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cm367700
Default

i just want to build a nice looking scale crawler cheaply.
__________________
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
("')_("') your signature to help him gain world domination!!!!!!!
JUST DO IT!
cm367700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
Tech Adept
 
Mack_Mechanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cole Camp,Missouri
Posts: 227
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm367700 View Post
i just want to build a nice looking scale crawler cheaply.
Like I said earlier check out www.rccrawler.com Look in the scale section in the forums,you will be amazed at some of the rigs people have built!Also you can find TONS of info there!
Mack_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Mechanic View Post
depends on your motor and gearing.But on average I would say maybe 5-10 mph tops.They are not straight line beasts,low gears and torque are key in crawling.You could build a rock racer and get alittle more speed than a dedicated crawler but you would sacrifice some crawling ability.
Ok, thanks a lot for answering.

I haven't been able to find the answer to that question anywhere for the last year or so I've been into RC cars. Though I never asked it specifically.

The reason I asked is because I'm somewhat interested in crawlers, but I can see now that a competition crawler rig is not for me. What I'd really like is more of a general "4wd off-road truck" with locked diffs, something that can do a *little* crawling, such as in a forest, etc. but can also run on-road. Basically, a vehicle that can go anywhere (or as close as possible to it).

It seems the comp crawlers are too good at their specific target goal, so good, that they can't be run on simple paved surfaces, hehe.

An off-road truck with a 20~ mph top speed would be more up to it, as I'd like to have it able to lose traction/drift/throw dirt around, not just crawl over rocks at 1 mph (mostly because I don't have any rocks that a real crawler would require nearby).

I think Tamiya had some really nice 1/10 4wd trucks like that, based on the CC-01/XC chassis (Volkswagen Touareg, Mitsubishi Pajero, etc.), but they've all been discontinued and are impossible to get... Hmm, when looking up the above info again, I found there's some sort of a new re-release of the Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero. That's interesting.

P.S. I know about the Tamiya Ford F-350 4x4 High Lift kit, but I don't like it. And it's waaay too expensive.

Last edited by shurcooL; 08-13-2008 at 09:44 AM.
shurcooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
Tech Regular
 
macr0w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlotte N.C.
Posts: 493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
Ok, thanks a lot for answering.

I haven't been able to find the answer to that question anywhere for the last year or so I've been into RC cars. Though I never asked it specifically.

The reason I asked is because I'm somewhat interested in crawlers, but I can see now that a competition crawler rig is not for me. What I'd really like is more of a general "4wd off-road truck" with locked diffs, something that can do a *little* crawling, such as in a forest, etc. but can also run on-road. Basically, a vehicle that can go anywhere (or as close as possible to it).

It seems the comp crawlers are too good at their specific target goal, so good, that they can't be run on simple paved surfaces, hehe.

An off-road truck with a 20~ mph top speed would be more up to it, as I'd like to have it able to lose traction/drift/throw dirt around, not just crawl over rocks at 1 mph (mostly because I don't have any rocks that a real crawler would require nearby).

I think Tamiya had some really nice 1/10 4wd trucks like that, based on the CC-01/XC chassis (Volkswagen Touareg, Mitsubishi Pajero, etc.), but they've all been discontinued and are impossible to get... Hmm, when looking up the above info again, I found there's some sort of a new re-release of the Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero. That's interesting.

P.S. I know about the Tamiya Ford F-350 4x4 High Lift kit, but I don't like it. And it's waaay too expensive.
Get an old version of the E-Maxx and lock the diffs if that's what you need.

It will go fairly fast and can run over some decent obstacles with a 2 speed transmission.
__________________
www.clearspotrecording.com
macr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:45 AM   #13
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0w View Post
Get an old version of the E-Maxx and lock the diffs if that's what you need.

It will go fairly fast and can run over some decent obstacles with a 2 speed transmission.
No, thanks. I guess I forgot to mention, but the scale look plays a factor as well.

I just hate the way Monster Trucks look, they're not for me.

Besides, an E-MAXX is pretty expensive from what I've seen. I was looking for something in the $200 range, and that Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero re-release is in that range.





Ok, maybe I've gone too off-topic. I'll stop.
shurcooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX-10 ROCK CRAWLER playinrc R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 04-19-2008 07:17 PM
AX-10 Rock Crawler mff30b R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 03-25-2008 09:16 AM
F/S F/T PTI ROCK CRAWLER kyosho-nutz R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 01-27-2008 12:33 AM
Rock Crawler ShotGunn R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 03-04-2007 09:53 AM
Tamiya TXT, Rock crawler, Rock Climber fgf60 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 11-26-2006 01:29 PM


All times are GMT -8. It is currently 03:24 AM.



SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0