R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   how to build a rock crawler (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/236973-how-build-rock-crawler.html)

cm367700 08-12-2008 03:32 PM

how to build a rock crawler

i just got a slash and built an obstacle course and started to get intrested in crawling. but how can i build a cheap crawler? im gonna get a stampede roller and use the tranny but i heard you can build a crawler with a metal rod. if you have any pics of your homemade crawler please post:nod:

mattnin 08-12-2008 04:30 PM

The cheapest crawler is probably the Axial AX-10, or probably the new losi crawler. If you want to build a total custom one yourself, you are going to need axles. In my opinion, the best axles are the TLT and Axial axles for 1/10 scale because if you ever decide to upgrade, there are lots of parts to get for it. You can get a set of used axles for about $100.

If you want to have the best axles right off the bat, don't buy any kit. Buy either the TLT or Axial axle halves, then buy upgraded MIP driveshafts, high clearance axle C's, max turn radius knuckles, and copper alloy gears.

Mack_Mechanic 08-12-2008 07:32 PM

Here is the best site for rock crawling.All the info you will ever need. www.rccrawler.com

BuggyKing 08-12-2008 10:55 PM

It depends cause crawlers can get $$. Just depends on how far u get into them. MIne I have quite a bit invested.

Metla 08-12-2008 11:17 PM

Wheelie King.

Lock the diffs, remove the rear brace, drop some weight into the front end....

Cheap as chips.

If you want to go further there is various kits to increase the wheelbase and you can drop in a super slow motor and mount some crawler wheels and tires.

Still cheap as, Sure it wont be competition grade but if thats what your looking for then be prepared to spend some cold hard cash.

Mack_Mechanic 08-13-2008 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by BuggyKing (Post 4735180)
It depends cause crawlers can get $$. Just depends on how far u get into them. MIne I have quite a bit invested.

x2,I just sunk about $700 in my last comp rig!:eek:

shurcooL 08-13-2008 06:29 AM

How fast can comp crawlers go in a straight? Like top speed.

Mack_Mechanic 08-13-2008 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by shurcooL (Post 4735891)
How fast can comp crawlers go in a straight? Like top speed.

depends on your motor and gearing.But on average I would say maybe 5-10 mph tops.They are not straight line beasts,low gears and torque are key in crawling.You could build a rock racer and get alittle more speed than a dedicated crawler but you would sacrifice some crawling ability.

cm367700 08-13-2008 08:30 AM

i just want to build a nice looking scale crawler cheaply.

Mack_Mechanic 08-13-2008 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by cm367700 (Post 4736223)
i just want to build a nice looking scale crawler cheaply.

Like I said earlier check out www.rccrawler.com Look in the scale section in the forums,you will be amazed at some of the rigs people have built!Also you can find TONS of info there!:D

shurcooL 08-13-2008 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mack_Mechanic (Post 4736123)
depends on your motor and gearing.But on average I would say maybe 5-10 mph tops.They are not straight line beasts,low gears and torque are key in crawling.You could build a rock racer and get alittle more speed than a dedicated crawler but you would sacrifice some crawling ability.

Ok, thanks a lot for answering.

I haven't been able to find the answer to that question anywhere for the last year or so I've been into RC cars. Though I never asked it specifically.

The reason I asked is because I'm somewhat interested in crawlers, but I can see now that a competition crawler rig is not for me. What I'd really like is more of a general "4wd off-road truck" with locked diffs, something that can do a *little* crawling, such as in a forest, etc. but can also run on-road. Basically, a vehicle that can go anywhere (or as close as possible to it).

It seems the comp crawlers are too good at their specific target goal, so good, that they can't be run on simple paved surfaces, hehe.

An off-road truck with a 20~ mph top speed would be more up to it, as I'd like to have it able to lose traction/drift/throw dirt around, not just crawl over rocks at 1 mph (mostly because I don't have any rocks that a real crawler would require nearby).

I think Tamiya had some really nice 1/10 4wd trucks like that, based on the CC-01/XC chassis (Volkswagen Touareg, Mitsubishi Pajero, etc.), but they've all been discontinued and are impossible to get... Hmm, when looking up the above info again, I found there's some sort of a new re-release of the Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero. That's interesting.

P.S. I know about the Tamiya Ford F-350 4x4 High Lift kit, but I don't like it. And it's waaay too expensive.

macr0w 08-13-2008 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by shurcooL (Post 4736472)
Ok, thanks a lot for answering.

I haven't been able to find the answer to that question anywhere for the last year or so I've been into RC cars. Though I never asked it specifically.

The reason I asked is because I'm somewhat interested in crawlers, but I can see now that a competition crawler rig is not for me. What I'd really like is more of a general "4wd off-road truck" with locked diffs, something that can do a *little* crawling, such as in a forest, etc. but can also run on-road. Basically, a vehicle that can go anywhere (or as close as possible to it).

It seems the comp crawlers are too good at their specific target goal, so good, that they can't be run on simple paved surfaces, hehe.

An off-road truck with a 20~ mph top speed would be more up to it, as I'd like to have it able to lose traction/drift/throw dirt around, not just crawl over rocks at 1 mph (mostly because I don't have any rocks that a real crawler would require nearby).

I think Tamiya had some really nice 1/10 4wd trucks like that, based on the CC-01/XC chassis (Volkswagen Touareg, Mitsubishi Pajero, etc.), but they've all been discontinued and are impossible to get... Hmm, when looking up the above info again, I found there's some sort of a new re-release of the Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero. That's interesting.

P.S. I know about the Tamiya Ford F-350 4x4 High Lift kit, but I don't like it. And it's waaay too expensive.

Get an old version of the E-Maxx and lock the diffs if that's what you need.

It will go fairly fast and can run over some decent obstacles with a 2 speed transmission. :nod:

shurcooL 08-14-2008 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by macr0w (Post 4737351)
Get an old version of the E-Maxx and lock the diffs if that's what you need.

It will go fairly fast and can run over some decent obstacles with a 2 speed transmission. :nod:

No, thanks. I guess I forgot to mention, but the scale look plays a factor as well.

I just hate the way Monster Trucks look, they're not for me.

Besides, an E-MAXX is pretty expensive from what I've seen. I was looking for something in the $200 range, and that Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero re-release is in that range. :D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99...eromar0514.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99...eromar0510.jpg

Ok, maybe I've gone too off-topic. I'll stop.