Wiki Posts
Search

DF-03MS with Km conversion Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default DF-03MS with Km conversion Help

Ok here is the deal i just ordered 2 of the df-03ms kits and one of the Kmconversion and 3racing shock towersand some other parts.Does anybody out run this buggy or any of the df-03 with this conversion that could maybe post some setups,issue they have had.Or any info.I will be running this buggy indoor clay super smooth track this winter>Just looking for any info on this buggy while iam building it.Thank Chad
Old 08-06-2008, 01:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ricky, come join us on this thread I started, it's not the hottest but there are quite a few DF-03 owners who have replied to it:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...67#post4711967
Old 08-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Tech Addict

You can add a little antisquat by using washers under the front of the rear gearbox.
To strengthen the rear gearbox suspension mount I used the rear-mounted 3racing hinge pin brace. the front braces are stronger for most impacts but restrict motor movement.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Jimmy, do you know of any other alternate sources for Yeah Racing/3Racing/GPM parts for the DF-03s? rcmart.com has this part:

But they are out of stock! I think this part is the real ticket to strengthening up the front end...

Also, which brand of alloy and carbon fiber parts do you recommend? There seems to be a plethora of manufacturers that makes similar components:

1) Yeah Racing
2) 3Racing
3) GPM
4) Top Cad
------------
5) Xenon (They're excluded from the above category since they are Japanese and by nature = high quality)...
6) KMRC (They're excluded also. I don't have any doubts about quality issue with them, but they seriously deviated from the intent of using the DF-03 in the first place. You would be better off with a B44 for a saddle-solution for a shaft drive 4WD IMO)...

This guy at Tamiya Club has the most hopped up DF-03 I have ever seen:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...66008&id=20949

He recommends GPM but I remember from my B4 days that GPM made some real cruddy alloy with even cruddier machining...

I wish Tamiya was more serious about this platform and release a "501x" equivalent kit for it with their own carbon fiber chassis.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Well since i just started this build. Iam too looking for the best parts.
Really i was even plaining on running electric 4wd at all untill.I pick up the latest rc diver on page 80 in did a small 2 page article on the Km conversion on the dark impact.Thats what got me to go build this buggy and on there's they used 3 racing stuff and tamiya parts along with KM so iam going to build mine just like they have built there's and i will go from there.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Anybody know if losi or Ae wheels will fit the df-03ms?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Not sure, but probably not. The first thing you gotta do is get a hex adapter for it to make it fit, the second thing is you gotta check the wheel offset inside so that it doesn't rub against the hub carriers.

Are you still going through with the KM conversion for your Df-03? I really like KM's chassis quality but converting it to a saddle defeats the whole purpose of using the DF-03 in my opinion.

If you want a good saddle car, I'd go with either a B44 or a Hot Bodies Cyclone D4. If that is your goal, it's a cheaper solution then going the KM chassis route and upgrading other components. The B44 and the D4 will outperform the DF-03 with KM since it's so much more tuneable (it's a racer out of the box, versus DF-03s which are entry level and a basher)...

If you're going for a carbon fiber, I'd go with either a 3Racing or a Xenon racing chassis. Both of them preserves the original layout, except Xenon's are of a better quality (more $$$ though, I've been in contact with Xenon about pricing).

I believe Xenon quoted me 125,000 yens, which is equivalent to about $120...
Old 08-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info.And yes Iam still goin with the KM Ifact its in the mail on its way to me.I like the way the DF-03 is in stock form atleast the the way the chassis is set.But the Km conversion is what sold me on this buggy.I have owed all the other 4wd and they have there pros and cons.I have never had any of the tamiya's for racing since the late 80's So i thought it was time to give it a go again.This df-03 I think is a great buggy and i do think that it will be a grat threat on the track it might cost more than the others but thats the price for perfection.