Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8T rear end blowout.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default Losi 8T rear end blowout.

Here is the low down...

I converted my 8ight-T to brushless. Everything so far has gone pretty well. After about 4 races, the rear end made a loud clacking/grinding sound. Uh Oh! I pitted. Sure enough, the bearing was toasted (completely separated) on the rear differential. No biggie right? I wanted to replace it with the lightened out drives, and HD differential cup/case anyway. I also wanted to install the Losi aluminum bearing inserts.

After dissembling the back end, everything (other than the toasted bearing) looked to be in good condition. The plastic bearing insert was a little rough, however I was replacing that anyway. Everything else looked ok.

Here is my question...
After reassembly, turning the rear drive shaft feels very 'grindy'. It is as if the rear pinion and ring gear are not meshing well. I took it apart again to reinspect. There is obviously some visible wear, however nothing that looks drastic. The truggy is only 3 months old as it is. Is this always the case? I have never noticed it being rough, but maybe I haven't payed that much attention. If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

yea! Both the buggy and truggy race roller have the grinding feel in the rear end. I took mine apart to see if I could remove a spacer from the pinion shaft, but it didn't have one. After two gallons it has greatly broken in but it still has a little grinding feel. It is slowly going away. After every race weekeng I take the case apart to clean out any shavings then regreese the ring and pinion.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Adept

Excellent! Thanks for the reply. Now I am confident enough to put it back together and go racing! Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default 8

Enlighten us as to what motor, batteries and ESC you use in this truggy...
Old 08-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Adept

Right now, here is my setup.

Losi 8ight-T
Tekno (Neu) 1515 3D
Elite 6S 4500mAh (2 3S in series)
diffs 3k(R) 30k(C) 7k(F)
Mamba Monster Max (first edition)

It has been working pretty well. It seems the more I use the batteries the hotter things are starting to run. I haven't diagnosed the problem yet, but the heat is still manageable.