Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
m8 or Hitec Lynx 3D! which one performs better? >

m8 or Hitec Lynx 3D! which one performs better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

m8 or Hitec Lynx 3D! which one performs better?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

I would agree with the last post.

Only reason I didn't reply to the M8 vs Lynx question directly, is because I don't have direct experience with the Hitec radio. I do know however, that Hitec is absolutely junk. I mean, just look at the stuff no, really ... I have heard so many problems with regards to Hitec products I wouldn't even consider them; especially if you run offroad. It seems a few guys have had luck with the servos atleast, onroad ... but other than that, the radio and everything Hitech has to offer spells JUNK to me.

Just my opinion.

Personally, after trying the 3PK it has great feel to it, and the LCD screen is actually in a useful place .. not at the side of the radio where you can't see it, nor make adjustments easily while running
the model infront of you.

I've had a an old Airtronics radio and receiver though mind you, and I have yet to ever have a problem with an Airtronic servo or radio after owning the combo for a good 5/6 years in an offroad 1/10 buggy.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the reciever battery failsafe kicked on during my 3rd qualifier and i had charged my battery the day before and it might have false peaked (it seemed to charge a little too fast)

but the servos were still moving at full speed before the failsafe kicked in thats why i think i could finished the qualifier

i dont want to defend hitec but i would bet they have 3000x the amount of stuff to fix compared to airtronics so i believe they could be a little backed up in their service department

i have 3 hitec digital servos i need to send in for repair they should be under warranty but i cant prove it if they try and charge me i will probably say screw it and toss them not worth the headaches

my favorite thing about the 3pk is the trigger that thing has a ton of throw (if you know what i mean) i feel much more in control of my throttle now
Old 09-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

One of my friends sent in a 5925MG with no proof or anything, but with a description of when and where he got it and what it was used for and how it failed, and he said they're fixing it. I only had problems with two Hitec servos, and the problem was that I stripped them(545BB and 525BB in a T3...my mistake was buying the BBs and not MGs). My 5925MG's, 625MG, 525MG, and 645MG have all been great. I'm using Hitec servos in everything except throttle in my X5 and MST1. I will say I agree with you on the trigger throw thing on Futabas, I absolutely love the feel of my 3PDF and 3PJ in my hands. I've played with some 3PK's, and I'd like it if it weren't so top heavy(compared to the 3PJ and 3PDF..but I can understand why it's so top heavy), and if it had a bigger grip(but that's just a personal thing, and the grips are changable). I've used a few Hitec Lynx 3D's, but never owned one, but I can say that the Lynx 3D is probably my second favorite radio as far as feel goes. The balance and trigger throw are both great(trigger throw is just like the Futaba, with slightly less tension).
Old 09-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

PTP, yeah .. the feel of the trigger and wheel feel just right. Extremely smooth, and you get enough throw on the throttle, while still being able to use it without having to really push your finger forward to use the brakes either. Very nice feel.

Don't you guys charge up your rec. packs before your mains? Should always charge 'em up before your main! Your TX batteries will last you all day, but its a tough call with the receiver battery lasting all day on one charge.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

I peak mine after practice(before heats start) and before mains start.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I love the M8. Awesome radio. I've never used the 3d but I can say I've used some of Hitecs servos and I've had bad experiances with them. The two I've had wouldn't center for anything. Just didn't seem as high quality. When I was shopping for radios and was "trying them on" the Hitec felt cheap in my hand. Just didn't have the real solid feel that the M8 has.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

i usually charge my reciever packs when i get to the track and before the mains

however that particular week i had charged it the day before i was trying to be more prepared
Old 09-05-2003, 10:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Get the M8.

I've had one for years, and they are simple and effective. My roomie got a Lynx, and I wound up having to program it for him. The menu system is quite a bit more complex to use than the m8's menus.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Company Representative

The Lynx 3D is a discontinued radio so unless you get one at a big discount I would look at the new Aggressor CRX instead. It is much more refined and has more features. The M8 is a great radio but you will have to spend more money; that choice will be up to you. Be aware that the CRX comes with Nicads and still sells for about $80 less. I wouldn't worry about reliability, neither radio will let you down.

Mike
Old 09-10-2003, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 2nd thoughts about hitec's customer service

ok, i just got back my servos from hitec, and i have to admit, they took good care of me. first off they didn't charge me anything. however, the best thing is that they completely replaced my digital hi torque (forget which number) with a new one. anyway, just thought i'd give 'em some kudos for taking care of me.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've owned a Lynx 3D for over a year now and like it a lot.

I believe the M8 has it beat on raw features, but the Lynx 3D has everything you would ever want for both electric or nitro.

When the Lynx 3D w/Spectra is combined in the combo with the Novak XXtra reciever for only $299.99(which is what I got), its probably the best value out there in the high end radios.

By comparison, getting a M8 to the crystaless set up will set you back quite a bit more than $299.99
Old 09-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ultimate Hobbies is selling the 3D with the Spectra module and the Novak XXtra receiver for $209.99.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by AreCee
Ultimate Hobbies is selling the 3D with the Spectra module and the Novak XXtra receiver for $209.99.
They're probably trying to get rid of them since Hitec has their new radio out.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Exactly.

Hitec has discontinued the 3D so these are from Ultimate's stock. It's really a good deal if you want a crystalless computer radio for a real bargain price.

I had my 3D from the time they were first released until this year when I retired it and bought a Futaba 3PK (the Spectra module works with the Futaba). That makes it almost five years and never had any problems with it except replacing the Tx battery pack with NiMH.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

there is no doubt the m8 is a great radio, likely to be more radio than you will ever need. With that said, i am disappointed with the latest offering from hitech. it has gobs of stuff i would never use (a total on time timer... come on! and doesn't have the single thing that I wanted which is a lap timer function. (and mentioned when they were solisiting for ideas). The XS3 has everything that I would want including the lap timer. The up down timer is useless, I can use my watch for that. The ability to time my laps would be very usefull, (it is really hard to reach the right button on my sport watch consistantly). I have had no complaints with my 3d spectra as for as how it functions, and i liked the auto dual rate for on road but not off (which i am not sure the agressor continues). if one is dealing with multiple cars the synthesized reciever from jr is much cheaper than the novak unit and costs about the same as a good hi tech one.

I have had good customer service with the hitech. they just didn't give me the feature that i wanted.

I have hitech servos in my xxxnt and they work fine. I had one in my mugen mbx and it did nothing but shimmy and shake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.