R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default gettin back to it ( been away @ 10 years)

ok so hear i sit looking at all the new stuff, confused and baffled.last time i raced i had always ran losi started out with a junior t and moved up a couple in the newer lines as time went on racing in stock and super stock classes.
the last motor i bought was a green machine two if that sets the time frame.
well me and the kids raced motox also since they were little, long story short we had to move (work related) sold all the bikes etc now i want to get them into rc so thye can have as much fun as i did, not to mention i will run with them in the same classes if they still have a roar stock class??? im looking at getting the new desert truck for the simple reason of price when you have to buy 4 of something the eights went out the window plus i want to start them on electrics. now my questions are
how long are the races we used to run 4 minute races.

do i have to go brushless etc lipo so on to compete in stock class

what are some run times you could get with the higher mah nimh's i remember trying to gear everything to go one lap past 4 minutes.

i also live in lacrosse wisconsin now im lookin at the closest tracks being
in reedsburg wi and rochester mn.

any thing else i might need to know plz feel free to let me know thank you for the help.
knockdownducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I would go brushless and LiPo for sure. I came back after about 10-12 years as well and the new technology is amazing! I would never go back to brushed motors or NiMH packs. So much less maintenance with the new stuff. Run time wise on a LiPo and 13.5 set up you could probably run 25 minutes easy with no loss in performance from heat. Race wise most are 5 minutes but some tracks are starting to go 7, 10, 15 or even 20 minute mains! Awesome. You could get away with one battery per car and run them all day as well.
"Almost Live Race Coverage": www.johnnyboy.ca

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Agree with Johnny. Brushless is practically maintenance free, it would be quite an effort to keep 4 brushed vehicles going well. And lipos can be charged right away after running, you can get by with just 1 per vehicle. However they do take a while to charge, I would recommend 5-6 for your 4. 2 per vehicle and you are really set. Old school nimh you would need around 12 packs. Just be sure to use lipo chargers!

Oh, suggest 'hardcase' lipos for safety and ROAR racing legality. Not all tracks require it, but I think its the way to go.

Another big change is the no crystal 2.4GHz DSM (aka Spektrum) radios that come with the Desert trucks. That will make life much easier with so many vehicles. And short antennas are better for the kids (big and little ones).

Good luck, welcome back.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

wow that was fast thanks guys
knockdownducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Tech Master

You'll probably want to check with the race directors at the local tracks and see what the club rules are too, just to make sure that you're meeting the requirements of whatever class you want to race in, with your purchases. I made the mistake of going out and buying a 17.5 brushless motor/esc combo because it was considered stock by ROAR and later found out that brushless was still only allowed in mod classes at the local club races. Had to go buy 27t motors to use, instead.

For sure agree on the spread spectrum radio...that's a must have, now.
Kevin Deselms
Associated Factory Team SC10
Webmaster, www.hotrodhobbies.com
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Welcome back to the hobby, knockdownducks, there seems to be quite a few of us who's had 10+ years of hiatus from RC...

I got back into it after 15+ years of hiatus a few years back. I started with the B4, but a few years back, that was when Spektrums and Brushless' were coming into the scene...

The technology has improved, mostly in electronics and materials. The electronics are top knotch, and the carbon fiber (graphite) has seem to come back again... Still, I do appreciate plastics, I don't feel as bad scratching those then a carbon fiber part
tom_chang79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

I would highly recommend you go check out your 2 close tracks if you haven't already and see what classes are popular and being run. I'd hate for you to go out and buy vehicles that aren't being run even though with 4 of you you'd be making your own class.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but I'd look at the traxxas slash. A lot of tracks across the country are running them stock configuration with the exception that you can change out the transmitter and receiver only. It's the only electric class we have showing up right now at our outdoor track and the number gets bigger every week.

As for the brushless lipo debate. If you go with another vehicle, Definitely go brushless. The maintenance is almost none and that is what most roar stock classes are going to this year. As mentioned above lipos are the way to go. With 2 per vehicle you will have more than enough. Good lipos will cost you much less than race quality nimh packs since you would need 4 of them for each vehicle.
www.rcrcr.com --------> B-Mag free since fall '07
RobbieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I agree that going brushless and using LiPos would be much easier for you to maintain in the long run.. making "Dad time" more fun.. only thing is you mentioned price.. 4 of everything.. A brushless system is going to cost you around $200 each..which is more than double that of an entry level ESC and brushed motor.. and a LiPo can be as much as 3-4 times that of a NiMh pack...

Best thing to do would be to go to your local track and see what's out there.. check out the racing classes see if they allow 17.5 for stock and see what the local shops carry...

Biggest thing I'm sure is to have fun.

Good luck!

JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

While nimh packs may be a little cheaper, wouldn’t you need many more? Plus the discharging equipment? I routinely charge my lipos from brushless stock offroad heats in around 25 minutes with a balance charger. It was taking me 40~45 minutes to charge nimh even with a fairly high charge amperage, and I don’t think I have to wait for lipos to cool down, or discharge them, or buy an equalizing tray to have any chance of keeping them in good condition. Or buy a bunch of packs to run while doing all of this. Don't you need at least 3 nimh packs per vehicle to avoid excessive abuse, give them a chance to cool down? Granted 1 lipo per car is cutting it a little tight, even thou some guys do it, I use 4 for 3 classes with ease.

Orion is I believe a pretty well established race lipo supplier, they have a new 2400 starter pack for under $35 from mainstream US shops. Even with the ~$115 TrakPower packs that I am fond of I am spending much less on batteries than I did with either nicads in the day or nimh, with much better life so far than the nimhs at least. I know some don't think they provide a performance advantage, I sure think they do, but even if not I would suspect it won't be much of an issue either way for starting offroad racers.

Of course your mileage may vary and thats fine.

Cheers to all.

Last edited by Dave H; 08-03-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

its disturbing how much its changed, and thats what i said 4yrs ago after i got back in from 10yrs away. boy in that time til now, even more movement forward. have fun

UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote