Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to charge batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Best way to charge batteries?

Can anyone help me out? I just bought a Duratrax Onyx 230 charger and I need to charge my 2600mah 5-cell hump pack receiver battery.

its NIMH.

is it best to charge the battery at low amps for a longer time? like .30 amps for 250min?

or not.

if anyone has a setup for me let me know.

the Onyx is fully customizable and if you know the amps to charge, the time, the peak detection mV/C setting, and the trickle charge mA. let me know please.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

If it is the first time charging the pack, then a couple slower charges at first is a good idea. If not, charge at 1C, or roughly 2.5 amps in your case and be done in an hour.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I personally don't like charging small receiver packs at more than 1 amp. The little cells can't take the heat like the Sub-C (which is where this 1C thing came about). Excessive heat will damage the cells and at the very least shorten their lifespan.

In my experience lower is better... If time is a factor you might want to charge right before you go to the track or the night before. If you leave it charged a week.. chances are the NiMh pack will have lost some of its energy. When I used to race gas, I had a spare pack I would charge up at the track just in case..

Jerome
Old 08-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
I personally don't like charging small receiver packs at more than 1 amp. The little cells can't take the heat like the Sub-C (which is where this 1C thing came about). Excessive heat will damage the cells and at the very least shorten their lifespan.

In my experience lower is better... If time is a factor you might want to charge right before you go to the track or the night before. If you leave it charged a week.. chances are the NiMh pack will have lost some of its energy. When I used to race gas, I had a spare pack I would charge up at the track just in case..

Jerome

+1, Jerome is on point with his response

http://www.BulldawgRC.com